Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Intel i5 on chip graphics (i5-3570k) hd4000 - Can I use a DSDT with Catalina ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H87M HD3
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all more than 10 years ago I built a "hack" with the help of this (tonymacx86) site. The machine, because it had never been updated, worked without a problem until recently when safari was having problems getting onto websites. When I built the machine on this site was a dsdt for my exact motherboard, as recommended by this site with the also recommended Wi-Fi module. The dsdt is still on the dsdt database under gigabyte/motherboard/1155/special. There are two there one for the H77 board and one for the Z77 board (mine).
this dsdt then got sound, vision and Wi-Fi all working.
after extensive trawlling I think I am right in saying that the dsdt is for hardware. Apart from the drive being swapped for an ssd everything is as it was when I made the machine.
my question is is there a way of inserting/adding/cobbling together this dsdt into Catalina? As you will appreciate the original was a long time ago and my memory remembers very little about this build.
catalina works well apart from no sound, the pref pane under the output tab when working showed 4 boxes labelled digital out (hdmi), video not recognising what it is attached to so video playback is a bit glitchy and Wi-Fi. I could, from one of my earlier machines, get a picture of the sound output tab if it would help.
thanks in advance

lesli

Patched DSDT.aml

You are partly correct.

The patched DSDT.aml you downloaded from this site is set for a specific motherboard. However they are also set for use with a specific BIOS version. So changing/updating the BIOS can make the patches in the DSDT.aml stop working.

In the case of your Z77N Wi-Fi board the BIOS version is 'F2'.

First question, are you still using Bios F2 on your system?

Some of the Patches applied to the DSDT.aml for your motherboard may still be functional, even if you have changed or updated the Bios. Some may be borked due to changes in the new BIOS.

WiFi

You need to remember that with the passage of time your WiFi/BT card may no longer be compatible with the version of macOS (Catalina) you are using. Apple dropped a number of WiFi cards over the years.

It may still work but require different patches to remain compatible with newer versions of macOS.

Second question, which WiFi/BT card are you using?

Audio

Could be a similar reason for the Realtek ALC892 Audio codec built-in to your motherboard not working, things move on.

OS X Mountain Lion and Mavericks were being used when these patched DSDT's were created, Toleda (Hackintosh Guru) was providing patches for AppleHDA.kext, these patches are no longer used.

Now we use Lilu.kext and specifically AppleALC.kext, with a companion Audio Layout ID to get audio working in macOS.

Previously a number of DSDT or config.plist patches were used, to patch a specific kext. These patches may no longer be compatible, the kext may no longer be used in macOS, it may require different patches.

So while your Audio codec may still be work, you will need to be using the correct setup.

Re-patching the Patched DSDT.aml

To continue to use the patched DSDT.aml you would need to disassemble and edit the patched DSDT, so the ineffective patches were removed, preferably reset to how they were in your original DSDT.aml. So new kexts with built-in patches were used for the missing/obsolete sections of the patched DSDT.

Obtaining a disassembled copy of your system DSDT.aml is fairly easy, Hackintool will do this for you.
Disassembling the Patched DSDT.aml you are using is not so straightforward for someone who isn't used to messing around with ACPI tables. Finding and editing the patched sections that need attention is another level of difficulty altogether.

Ditch patched DSDT.aml

You don't say if you are using OpenCore or Clover, I am going to assume you are still using Clover as your bootloader.

My advise would be to ditch the patched DSDT.aml and use the new kexts and custom SSDTs that are available.

Some of the current SSDT's you are using may still be usable, such as the SSDT-PM.aml required for CPU Power Management on an Ivy Bridge system.

Other common SSDT's can be generated using your system DSDT.aml (unpatched version) and Corpnewt's SSDTTime Python script.

A lot of the patches used in the patched DSDT.aml can be applied in Clover (and OpenCore). Some you would use a Kext to deal with, others a custom SSDT, others can be dealt with by enabling different types of patches and entries in the Clover config.plist.

Most patched DSDT.aml tables contained these common patches (list from Rehabman's DSDT patching guide)
  • "Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
  • "HPET Fix"
  • "SMBUS Fix"
  • "IRQ Fix"
  • "RTC Fix"
  • "OS Check Fix"
  • "Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
  • "Fix PNOT/PPNT" (use only if you're dropping CPU related SSDTs)
  • "Add IMEI" (do not use if your DSDT or SSDTs already have IMEI/HECI/MEI device)
Plus
  • ACPI rename patches
  • Audio/HDMI patches
  • GPU patches.
  • WiFi patches.
All of the above can be configured without the need of a patched DSDT.aml.

If you were to consider moving to OpenCore that would be a pre-requisite, as the OpenCore developers don't recommend or allow for use of a patched DSDT.aml in their setup.

Think about which route you wish to take and let us know.

As I stated above, my recommendation would be to ditch the patched DSDT.aml and use the options listed above.

Which ever option you decide to implement there will be a learning curve for you, which won't happen over night.

Hi all more than 10 years ago I built a "hack" with the help of this (tonymacx86) site. The machine, because it had never been updated, worked without a problem until recently when safari was having problems getting onto websites. When I built the machine on this site was a dsdt for my exact motherboard, as recommended by this site with the also recommended Wi-Fi module. The dsdt is still on the dsdt database under gigabyte/motherboard/1155/special. There are two there one for the H77 board and one for the Z77 board (mine).
this dsdt then got sound, vision and Wi-Fi all working.
after extensive trawlling I think I am right in saying that the dsdt is for hardware. Apart from the drive being swapped for an ssd everything is as it was when I made the machine.
my question is is there a way of inserting/adding/cobbling together this dsdt into Catalina? As you will appreciate the original was a long time ago and my memory remembers very little about this build.
catalina works well apart from no sound, the pref pane under the output tab when working showed 4 boxes labelled digital out (hdmi), video not recognising what it is attached to so video playback is a bit glitchy and Wi-Fi. I could, from one of my earlier machines, get a picture of the sound output tab if it would help.
thanks in advance

lesli

@boxgame,

If it helps you could perhaps take a look at Stork's GA-Z77X-UP5-TH build here which has actually been tested and updated to some of the more recent OSes like Mojave. Find the latest posts in this thread, they should contain the latest EFI builds that should help with your setup > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-i5-3570k-ga-z77x-up5-th-gtx-760.73112/#prep

I would highly suggest moving over to Opencore as it is a much more developed and mature bootloader since the days of Chameleon/Clover. Check out the Dortania install guides for Opencore as well if you have to to get an idea of how to configure the EFI.

Patched DSDT.aml

You are partly correct.

The patched DSDT.aml you downloaded from this site is set for a specific motherboard. However they are also set for use with a specific BIOS version. So changing/updating the BIOS can make the patches in the DSDT.aml stop working.

In the case of your Z77N Wi-Fi board the BIOS version is 'F2'.

First question, are you still using Bios F2 on your system?

Some of the Patches applied to the DSDT.aml for your motherboard may still be functional, even if you have changed or updated the Bios. Some may be borked due to changes in the new BIOS.

WiFi

You need to remember that with the passage of time your WiFi/BT card may no longer be compatible with the version of macOS (Catalina) you are using. Apple dropped a number of WiFi cards over the years.

It may still work but require different patches to remain compatible with newer versions of macOS.

Second question, which WiFi/BT card are you using?

Audio

Could be a similar reason for the Realtek ALC892 Audio codec built-in to your motherboard not working, things move on.

OS X Mountain Lion and Mavericks were being used when these patched DSDT's were created, Toleda (Hackintosh Guru) was providing patches for AppleHDA.kext, these patches are no longer used.

Now we use Lilu.kext and specifically AppleALC.kext, with a companion Audio Layout ID to get audio working in macOS.

Previously a number of DSDT or config.plist patches were used, to patch a specific kext. These patches may no longer be compatible, the kext may no longer be used in macOS, it may require different patches.

So while your Audio codec may still be work, you will need to be using the correct setup.

Re-patching the Patched DSDT.aml

To continue to use the patched DSDT.aml you would need to disassemble and edit the patched DSDT, so the ineffective patches were removed, preferably reset to how they were in your original DSDT.aml. So new kexts with built-in patches were used for the missing/obsolete sections of the patched DSDT.

Obtaining a disassembled copy of your system DSDT.aml is fairly easy, Hackintool will do this for you.
Disassembling the Patched DSDT.aml you are using is not so straightforward for someone who isn't used to messing around with ACPI tables. Finding and editing the patched sections that need attention is another level of difficulty altogether.

Ditch patched DSDT.aml

You don't say if you are using OpenCore or Clover, I am going to assume you are still using Clover as your bootloader.

My advise would be to ditch the patched DSDT.aml and use the new kexts and custom SSDTs that are available.

Some of the current SSDT's you are using may still be usable, such as the SSDT-PM.aml required for CPU Power Management on an Ivy Bridge system.

Other common SSDT's can be generated using your system DSDT.aml (unpatched version) and Corpnewt's SSDTTime Python script.

A lot of the patches used in the patched DSDT.aml can be applied in Clover (and OpenCore). Some you would use a Kext to deal with, others a custom SSDT, others can be dealt with by enabling different types of patches and entries in the Clover config.plist.

Most patched DSDT.aml tables contained these common patches (list from Rehabman's DSDT patching guide)
  • "Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
  • "HPET Fix"
  • "SMBUS Fix"
  • "IRQ Fix"
  • "RTC Fix"
  • "OS Check Fix"
  • "Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
  • "Fix PNOT/PPNT" (use only if you're dropping CPU related SSDTs)
  • "Add IMEI" (do not use if your DSDT or SSDTs already have IMEI/HECI/MEI device)
Plus
  • ACPI rename patches
  • Audio/HDMI patches
  • GPU patches.
  • WiFi patches.
All of the above can be configured without the need of a patched DSDT.aml.

If you were to consider moving to OpenCore that would be a pre-requisite, as the OpenCore developers don't recommend or allow for use of a patched DSDT.aml in their setup.

Think about which route you wish to take and let us know.

As I stated above, my recommendation would be to ditch the patched DSDT.aml and use the options listed above.

Which ever option you decide to implement there will be a learning curve for you, which won't happen over night.
Morning Edhawk

Thank you for spending so much time on your very quick reply. It is very much appreciated.

First question

In answer to your first question yes my bios is still at f2 and the board is a rev 1. 0. I will say when I started to modify the os to Catalina the bios was behaving strangely and I mailed gigabyte about it. They suggested to go to f3 to “see” if it corrected it, it did not. I then re-flashed the f2 bios and the problem disappeared. I conclude that over 10 years the periodic power outages and shutdowns somehow corrupted parts of the bios. This did not show up as the machine was never os modified.

Second question

When I decided to build this machine I used the recommendation from the tonymacx86 site which is a WiFi board (mini PCI-e) Atheros AR5BHB92. From this it appears that there are newer boards with onboard BTincluded with the same mounting configuration that would be a simpler fix to this. If this is so it may be I can find one that works out of the box. Having said that I, currently, have not needed Bluetooth except for keyboard and mouse. For all this fiddling I have found it better to use wired components. I suppose if I had Bluetooth it would be easier to transfer files as I do not use iCloud.

Audio

This machine was set up for Mavericks as I say has worked very well for 10 years or more thanks to the teams at tonymacx86.

With research it would appear that, using Clover, the ALC and Lilu kexts, have to be installed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. I obtained the latest of these from github and following a YouTube vid replaced the ones already there. The next step, it appears, is to amend the config.plist to include the alcid layout number, mine shows as 1. There are about 20 of these numbers if you look on line but thanks to tonymacx86 teams there is a tool called Hackintool. With a bit more fiddling this tool shows my layout to be 1. So I opened config.plist in Clover and going to the boot line, in the left hand pane, installed the alcid as suggested and although it gave me outputs in the sound pref pane no output from these sockets was found. These outputs show as individual ports/sockets in the pref pane but not the ones that work under Mavericks which although only show 4 images,all the same, only one in my case works. I will include a pic at the end.

Graphics

Again following YouTube vids and forums on tonymacx86 and using Hackintool I found the platform Id and the Intelgfx numbers and installed them in the plist opened in Clover. The two thing I notice are 1, screen refresh is slower(no acceleration) and 2, the system does not recognise what it is connected to. In the Mavericks setup the screen, Samsung 50”, and audio, Onkyo receiver, are both found when either are plugged in not so now.

DSDT ETC.

As you can see from this response I am having to get into the 21st century and I suppose, after this update, open core is probably the route I would have to go. If this update lasts as long as the last I will probably be in my box before the machine fails as I will be at least 83 by then.

HDMI picture

Attachments

• F30AF051-0C0D-433A-9A46-D455819AA178.jpeg
    F30AF051-0C0D-433A-9A46-D455819AA178.jpeg
    895.5 KB · Views: 32
@boxgame,

If it helps you could perhaps take a look at Stork's GA-Z77X-UP5-TH build here which has actually been tested and updated to some of the more recent OSes like Mojave. Find the latest posts in this thread, they should contain the latest EFI builds that should help with your setup > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-i5-3570k-ga-z77x-up5-th-gtx-760.73112/#prep

I would highly suggest moving over to Opencore as it is a much more developed and mature bootloader since the days of Chameleon/Clover. Check out the Dortania install guides for Opencore as well if you have to to get an idea of how to configure the EFI.
Hi Middleman
I thank you for your response and will certainly read and use as best as I can.
I have also just replied to Edhawk so you might want to see that.

Lesli

@boxgame,

Yes indeed. I just read your post - and amazing testimony!
It is amazing to say the least you've managed to use the hackintosh for the last 10 years (and that it has lasted that long). That in itself is probably longer lasting than any current Apple product out there. My last system which was using the same chipset as yours (Z77X Thunderbolt) lasted us for about 6 years in our office. It was on for every single day of its life since it was built in the summer of 2012 and hardly ever crashed. The only time it ever failed was when the main PSU was blown. And when that happened, all we did was find a cheap replacement PSU, installed it back in and it was back on its feet within an hour. A totally dependable workhorse. There is a story to it also. As after we got a Z270 board to replace it back in 2018, we actually sold it to a friend who was a Mac user and wanted to have it as a backup system. So it's life has probably been extended by another few years at least.

Lilu, AppleALC & WhateverGreen

If you are using a patched DSDT.aml along side Lilu and AppleALC then these kexts may be causing issues with the Audio setup. As AppleALC.kext contains a number of patches that could clash with your DSDT audio patches.

Your IGPU may be suffering with similar issues, as WhateverGreen.kext contains a number of common IGPU/dGPU patches, some of which may also be present in your patched DSDT.

These kexts don't play well with other methods of applying patches. It is always advisable to remove any other patches before using these kexts.

WiFi Card
Regarding your Atheros WiFi card, support for the AR5BHB92 card was probably dropped when macOS Mojave was released. There are patches/kexts available form High Sierra that can be used in more recent versions of macOS, so you may be able to continue to use your current card.

If you want a card that is compatible with macOS Catalina, then I would look at the BCM94352HMB, AzureWave AW-CE123H, Asus BCM94352 or DW1550 cards. These are all half-mini PCIe cards that use the Broadcom 4352 chip and will work in macOS Catalina. See the eBay.co.uk search results page below.

Prices vary, so look around for the best price+delivery where you live. The two aerials connected to your current card should work with any of those Broadcom based cards. They all have a built-in Bluetooth Module as well as better WiFi than the Atheros card.

See the WiFi Compatibility chart attached below. It's old but contains some relevant information.

Copy of your EFI
Can you post a copy of your current working EFI folder, as I am curious as to how your Ivy Bridge system is setup.
Just delete or redact the Serial Number from the config.plist before you post a copy here.

A copy of your system DSDT.aml, i.e. unpatched DSDT.aml, would also be helpful.
  • These can be obtained by selecting F4 on the Clover boot screen, the ACPI tables will be saved in the background to the /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder.
  • Alternatively they can be obtained by using Hackintool > Utilities tab and the Dump ACPI tool.

Attachments

• Wifi-Compatibility.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 23
Hi Edhawk

As I have done no DSDT editing for at least 10 years I can say, with confidence, that a DSDT on this machine will be whatever the machine has produced.
During my investigations to get Catalina set up I found that Lilu and AppleALC were required in the kext/.../Other folder and it was suggested that the latest version should be obtained. This I have done.
Perhaps, based on your latest information, I should also install WhateverGreen.

WiFi Card

Thanks for the eBay link. I had already been looking at this and on your link I found one which I have ordered. Not an issue at the moment as I have assembled a temporary Ethernet cable until the Wi-Fi is sorted.

Copy of your EFI
I followed your instructions and have the EFI folder. I checked the contents of the receiving folder before(empty) and after(loads of stuff) so I hope this is what you wanted.

One last thing, if I may, to set my mind at ease.
Clover configurator I have loaded/installed.
When I try to Clover generate it fails. Pic below of result.

Is this a not properly installed Catalina or a not properly installed CC or more finger trouble on my part?

Thanks again in advance

Lesli

1662038930371.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.1 MB · Views: 49
Hi Edhawk

As I have done no DSDT editing for at least 10 years I can say, with confidence, that a DSDT on this machine will be whatever the machine has produced.
During my investigations to get Catalina set up I found that Lilu and AppleALC were required in the kext/.../Other folder and it was suggested that the latest version should be obtained. This I have done.
Perhaps, based on your latest information, I should also install WhateverGreen.

WiFi Card

Thanks for the eBay link. I had already been looking at this and on your link I found one which I have ordered. Not an issue at the moment as I have assembled a temporary Ethernet cable until the Wi-Fi is sorted.

Copy of your EFI
I followed your instructions and have the EFI folder. I checked the contents of the receiving folder before(empty) and after(loads of stuff) so I hope this is what you wanted.

One last thing, if I may, to set my mind at ease.
Clover configurator I have loaded/installed.
When I try to Clover generate it fails. Pic below of result.

Is this a not properly installed Catalina or a not properly installed CC or more finger trouble on my part?

Thanks again in advance

Lesli

View attachment 554128
do not get clover configurator to generate a config.plist for you, worst thing you can do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back