- Mar 31, 2010
- Main Build: ASUS z170-Deluxe
- i7 - 6700K
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
- Classic Mac
- Mobile Phone
"For Mac computers with both integrated and discrete GPUs, some models allow you to use OS X to decide which GPU to use for rendering graphics. Other models automatically switch between discrete and integrated graphics depending on the task at hand."
Although most Macs were designed with integrated graphics and a discrete GPU, Intel HD Graphics 3000 allowed CustoMac builders a few options:
- Use only the onboard graphics
- Use a processor that supports Intel HD 3000 Graphics but designate a discrete GPU as the primary video source
If you are planning to use only Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000 on your CustoMac, here are a few pointers that may clear things up.
- OS X Snow Leopard does not support Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000. You can install it, however you won't have graphics acceleration enabled. It suggested to upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion after a Snow Leopard installation.
- Intel HD 2500 Graphics is not supported out-of-box, therefore even if your motherboard has DVI/HDMI ports and you install a CPU that doesn't support 3000/4000, you'll need to install a discrete GPU (graphics card) or install a CPU that supports 3000/4000.
- Sandy Bridge based CustoMacs use Intel Graphics HD 3000 with OS X Lion or Mountain Lion (Snow Leopard doesn't support it).
- Ivy Bridge based CustoMacs use Intel Graphics HD 4000 with OS X Lion or Mountain Lion (Snow Leopard doesn't support it).
- You can mix match Series 6/7 CPUs and motherboards, but it requires additional tweaks: http://www.tonymacx86.com/150-enabling-hd-3000-graphics-7-series-motherboards-hd-4000-6-series-motherboards.html
- Your best option is to choose the MacMini 5,1 or MacMini 6,1 smbios (either one should work).
- You can also go with a MacPro 3,1 smbios for Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000, as you can see in the screenshot above.
For further details, check out tonymacx86's official Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000 CustoMac Mini guides since they include details on bios settings that will allow graphics to work:
CustoMac Mini 2011- Official Guide and Notes (In Progress) (SANDY BRIDGE - HD 3000)
CustoMac Mini 2012- Official Guide and Notes (In Progress) (IVY BRIDGE - HD 4000)
----FOR REFERENCE ONLY- NOT A SUPPORT THREAD! IF YOU HAVE ANY TIPS ADD THEM HERE!----