RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hd4000-2.png
With the release of OS X Lion in 2011, Sandy Bridge-based Macs were able to take advantage of Intel HD Graphics 3000.

"For Mac computers with both integrated and discrete GPUs, some models allow you to use OS X to decide which GPU to use for rendering graphics. Other models automatically switch between discrete and integrated graphics depending on the task at hand."

Although most Macs were designed with integrated graphics and a discrete GPU, Intel HD Graphics 3000 allowed CustoMac builders a few options:

• Use only the onboard graphics
  • Use a processor that supports Intel HD 3000 Graphics but designate a discrete GPU as the primary video source
However, in most scenarios, it's an either-or choice when it comes to graphics as it all depends on your every day needs. For example, if you build a CustoMac just for light usage that doesn't include graphics intensive use, then Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000 should meet these needs. If you require heavy graphics rendering, then it is best to install a discrete graphics card and avoid only using 3000/4000.

If you are planning to use only Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000 on your CustoMac, here are a few pointers that may clear things up.

• OS X Snow Leopard does not support Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000. You can install it, however you won't have graphics acceleration enabled. It suggested to upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion after a Snow Leopard installation.
  • Intel HD 2500 Graphics is not supported out-of-box, therefore even if your motherboard has DVI/HDMI ports and you install a CPU that doesn't support 3000/4000, you'll need to install a discrete GPU (graphics card) or install a CPU that supports 3000/4000.
  • Sandy Bridge based CustoMacs use Intel Graphics HD 3000 with OS X Lion or Mountain Lion (Snow Leopard doesn't support it).
  • Ivy Bridge based CustoMacs use Intel Graphics HD 4000 with OS X Lion or Mountain Lion (Snow Leopard doesn't support it).
  • You can mix match Series 6/7 CPUs and motherboards, but it requires additional tweaks: http://www.tonymacx86.com/150-enabl...therboards-hd-4000-6-series-motherboards.html
  • Your best option is to choose the MacMini 5,1 or MacMini 6,1 smbios (either one should work).
  • You can also go with a MacPro 3,1 smbios for Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000, as you can see in the screenshot above.
When doing fresh installs with Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000 with a discrete GPU, a best practice is to install without the GPU first and then add it after optimizing your install with MultiBeast.

For further details, check out tonymacx86's official Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000 CustoMac Mini guides since they include details on bios settings that will allow graphics to work:

CustoMac Mini 2011- Official Guide and Notes (In Progress) (SANDY BRIDGE - HD 3000)
http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...-customac-mini-2011-guide-notes-progress.html

CustoMac Mini 2012- Official Guide and Notes (In Progress) (IVY BRIDGE - HD 4000)
http://www.tonymacx86.com/248-building-customac-customac-mini-2012.html

----FOR REFERENCE ONLY- NOT A SUPPORT THREAD! IF YOU HAVE ANY TIPS ADD THEM HERE!----

For Gigabyte 6-series motherboards with HD 3000, set onboard RAM shared memory to maximum.

For Gigabyte 7-series motherboards with HD 4000, set onboard shared RAM to 64mb (Optimized Defaults).

:thumbup:

I am very happy with my build:
GA-Z77N-WIFI, Intel Core i3-3225, intel HD4000, 8GB RAM.
I have a 21,5" monitor full hd and a beamer full hd both connected through the motherboard HDMI.
XBMC displaying on the beamer.
5.1 sound via optical wire.
Plays full blu rays like a charm.
Updated to 10.8.3 without issues.
Mac mini configuration.

Couldn't be more efficient for the price!

:mrgreen:

I have a 6-series motherboard with a 2500K and a 5770. I have one monitor plugged in, and it's through the 5770.

Is there any way to have the HD3000 show up in system profiler without a monitor plugged in? Is there any reason I'd even want this?

I have a 6-series motherboard with a 2500K and a 5770. I have one monitor plugged in, and it's through the 5770.

Is there any way to have the HD3000 show up in system profiler without a monitor plugged in? Is there any reason I'd even want this?
One reason would be Airplay mirroring support.

I am very happy with my build:
GA-Z77N-WIFI, Intel Core i3-3225, intel HD4000, 8GB RAM.
I have a 21,5" monitor full hd and a beamer full hd both connected through the motherboard HDMI.
XBMC displaying on the beamer.
5.1 sound via optical wire.
Plays full blu rays like a charm.
Updated to 10.8.3 without issues.
Mac mini configuration.

Couldn't be more efficient for the price!

:mrgreen:
Is your Wifi and bluetooth working oob

Thanks

I am having to install Mountain Lion on safe mode and then when I get into the OS after installation, I go and download Multibeast. Once I do that and check all of the settings I want/need, I restart the computer. Then what happens is the computer either comes to the Unibeast boot screen and then the monitor goes into sleep mode or I get to the Apple loading screen and then the monitor goes to sleep mode.

Why is this happening?

10.8.3 with GA-Z77X-UP5 TH + HD4000 + Chimera 2.0 installed
Set BIOS Ram 64MB, iGFX

About This Mac shows HD4000 512mb however, Safari and Fullscreen mode is flickering

please advise

10.8.3 with GA-Z77X-UP5 TH + HD4000 + Chimera 2.0 installed
Set BIOS Ram 64MB, iGFX

About This Mac shows HD4000 512mb however, Safari and Fullscreen mode is flickering

please advise

Same problem here on GA-Z77-DS3H + i3/3225 HD4000. Safari flickering, Launchpad slow to open, iWork (Numbers, Pages, Keynote) not usable as blank displays, iPhoto not displaying photos in full view, just in preview.

Same problem here on GA-Z77-DS3H + i3/3225 HD4000. Safari flickering, Launchpad slow to open, iWork (Numbers, Pages, Keynote) not usable as blank displays, iPhoto not displaying photos in full view, just in preview.

I found a workaround:
1) Boot computer from USB stick with Unibeast in safe mode "-x"
2) Shutdown
3) Boot normally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back