Contribute
Register

Installing Lion on a Dell Inspiron 1720 / 1520 [VERSION 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, ellnic. I will give it a try and let you know the result.

I was just playing around with the latest version of Disk Warrior (Version 4.3, Lion compatible) and wanted to report findings.

More info on Disk Warrior can be found here: http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

This is a must have utility for any Mac user. I would really recommend supporting this company as this is the only utility of it's kind, and has got me out of many a scrape. It's also good for monthly drive maintenance.

Obviously, you cannot boot from the Disk Warrior CD as it is only for Macs (I might write a tutorial at some point to make it work on a Hack), but there is an easy way around this for Hackintosh users if you have a second install. Because I have the 1720, I have 2 hard drives in my laptop. On the first hard drive I have my main install, then on the second I have a rescue system which I use to correct permissions or change kexts back if my main system won't boot (and vice versa). You can also do this on an external USB drive if you are a 15xx user. Even if you don't use Disk Warrior, I would thoroughly recommend getting an external/second HDD as a rescue system.

Anyway, Install Disk Warrior into the utilities folder on both your drives so each one can repair the other. Really simple 1 click optimisation and repair of directories speeds up your Mac and recovers files. Best of all, it's done in 3 mins tops.

2 Things to Note if running on an install partition (because we have a hack):

1. It wrecks Chameleon/Chimera boot file and 2. Your Extra permissions. So simply, run the chameleon or multi beast installer again and drag E/E to kext util before you boot back into it. Takes 1 min extra. You can ignore this if it's just a partition with files on.

Done. Dusted. Enjoy :)

EDIT: Oh btw, has anyone thought about getting their IR port working on their 1720/1520 so we can use a Front Row remote?

Nice one! Thanks :D

Btw, are you still using scroll reverser? I found an option in the mouse prefpane... I have uninstalled scroll reverser now and just unchecked the option.

Attachments

• mouseprefpane.png
    mouseprefpane.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 207
Im stuck when u get to the part of Unzip the LionGMInstall.zip and enter command into terminal making sure the destination is Lion_USB i entered the command using sudo tar xjvf /path/to/file/Lion_OSInstall_GM.tar.bz2 -C path/to/destination/USB but does not work please help thanks

You need to change the "path/to" parts of the command depending on where your file is. Put Lion_OSInstall_GM.tar.bz2 on the desktop and type this without quotes:

"sudo tar xjvf /Users/*****/Desktop/Lion_OSInstall_GM.tar.bz2 -C /Volumes/Lion_USB"

Where ***** is, type your username. You will see what your username is when you open the terminal. Eg. HackBook-Pro-1720:~ ellnic$

So, I would type: "sudo tar xjvf /Users/ellnic/Desktop/Lion_OSInstall_GM.tar.bz2 -C /Volumes/Lion_USB"

An easier way to do this, is to type parts of the command then allow OS X to complete the path and file names for you by dragging them to the terminal window. So type:

sudo tar xjvf [at this point drag the tar file onto the terminal] -C [now drag the Lion_USB to terminal]

If it's still not working, PM me your iChat ID and we can screen share.

THanks i will try in a few will keep u updated thanks so much

Peter

Does face time works for you guys in 1520 or 1720? I always get the server encountered an error processing registration. (error). Do you guys have any solution? When I use chameleon r755 I cannot boot into Lion. Thanks in advance... :D

I wouldn't use that version of Chameleon. I would use either Chimera, or Chameleon 1096 which is included in the original post. Chimera solves a lot of the issues that you may experience with the SMBIOS.plist - so try that maybe.

I hadn't tried FaceTime until I saw your post, and I can confirm that it doesn't work on this end either.... Does anyone have any success at all with this?

Well after about 3 or 4 weeks of a science project - I now have Lion on my Dell Inspiron 1545. And, now I have the resolution finally working with the 1366x768. Life is good!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at 6.02.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at 6.02.05 PM.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 363
  • Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at 6.02.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at 6.02.42 PM.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 408
  • Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at 10.28.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at 10.28.15 PM.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 340
Nice :D Did you need to roll back IOPCIFamily and AppleACPI?

EDIT: Nevermind, just installed the update and can confirm that I too, only needed to roll back the AppleHDA from 10.6.2.

Btw, I am booting in verbose mode at the moment and have noticed that I am getting a message saying:

"VoodooPowerMini: Failed to get full power management control of CPU"

Are you getting this too?

EDIT2: Also, CoolBook is now failing to register the CPU temp at all.. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back