Contribute
Register

Install Mountain Lion on Snow Leopard PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
@juttla
does the video card output when the board is posting at startup?
Have you connected 6pin/8pin power cables to the end of the GPU?
Note card may work with ML but not in SL due to lack of SL drivers as indicated by the "Unknown" entry in System profiler.
Suggest install ML on a spare drive from SL and boot it using the 670 card.

GB thanks for your reply.
Blank Blue screen without posting at startup.
GPU has 2X6pin power connectors, yes power cables connected.

Please guide how to install ML on a spare drive from SL since the ML downloaded from Apple store is sitting in SL drive apps?

Regards

GB thanks for your reply.
Blank Blue screen without posting at startup.
GPU has 2X6pin power connectors, yes power cables connected.

Please guide how to install ML on a spare drive from SL since the ML downloaded from Apple store is sitting in SL drive apps?

Regards
Follow guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-lion-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.60584/
just select a blank drive instead of your SL drive when the installer asks where you want to install ML.

Follow guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-lion-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.60584/
just select a blank drive instead of your SL drive when the installer asks where you want to install ML.

GB
I followed your instructions and the LINK:
-Fresh installed ML on a New HDD ( installation successful as per snap shots)
-Before reboot, Installed EasyBeast ( did not select User DSDT or DSDT-Free Installation as not sure).
-Rebooted into ML and after the Apple Logo the screen goes BLANK WHITE. No further activity.
Snap shots attached.

Please help further.
Regards

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 105
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 123
In order to be able to boot from HDD you need to select DSDT or DSDT Free. If your BIOS version is 1602 you can download a DSDT from the database - https://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt-database/ , copy it to your desktop and select the DSDT installation in MultiBeast. If BIOS version is other, select DSDT Free.

In order to be able to boot from HDD you need to select DSDT or DSDT Free. If your BIOS version is 1602 you can download a DSDT from the database - https://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt-database/ , copy it to your desktop and select the DSDT installation in MultiBeast. If BIOS version is other, select DSDT Free.

GB

My BIOS version is 1502 (not 1602) and followed your instruction to use DSDT Free.
Rebooted and situation same as reported previously......after the Apple Logo, the screen hangs on Blank White screen.
Snap shots attached showing what I selected in DSDT Free.

As I am NOT confident of using DSDT, I will appreciate it if you could please guide me as to WHICH items I should select to install in DSDT Free. Or is there a different issue?

Regards

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 102
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 124
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 108
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
Have you tried using the same basic selections as you used after installing SL? Or did you go straight from SL to ML without running MB?

Have you tried using the same basic selections as you used after installing SL? Or did you go straight from SL to ML without running MB?

a) In SL I used EasyBeast Installation and DSDT for ONLY Ethernet drivers. Yes I did try the same for ML and it didn't work.

b) Sorry didn't understand your question "Or did you go straight from SL to ML without running MB?"
I did Fresh install of ML and did run MB before reboot.

Regards

b) Sorry didn't understand your question "Or did you go straight from SL to ML without running MB?"
I did Fresh install of ML and did run MB before reboot.

Regards
Forgot you were installing on a new drive. The only thing I can think of that may be causing this problem is the GPU. Apple drops support for GPUs with each upgrade and adds new ones. Try this:
Boot SL, select to run the ML install app, point it at the new drive. When install is complete and it wants to reboot, go ahead, but select the select the SL icon at the Chimera screen and boot into SL. Run MultiBeast for ML, choose EasyBeast, audio and networking kexts to install, point it at the MB drive. Open in Finder the ML drive /Extra folder and delete the org.chameleon.boot.plist. Copy the ..boot.plist from your SL /Extra folder to the ML /Extra folder. Reboot, hit the hotkey that allows you to select a boot device (usually F8 on Asus boards) and select the ML drive. Select the ML icon at the Chimera screen and boot. If your ...boot.plist has GE=Yes and you have the video problem, change it to GE=No and try again. Post results.

Forgot you were installing on a new drive. The only thing I can think of that may be causing this problem is the GPU. Apple drops support for GPUs with each upgrade and adds new ones. Try this:
Boot SL, select to run the ML install app, point it at the new drive. When install is complete and it wants to reboot, go ahead, but select the select the SL icon at the Chimera screen and boot into SL. Run MultiBeast for ML, choose EasyBeast, audio and networking kexts to install, point it at the MB drive. Open in Finder the ML drive /Extra folder and delete the org.chameleon.boot.plist. Copy the ..boot.plist from your SL /Extra folder to the ML /Extra folder. Reboot, hit the hotkey that allows you to select a boot device (usually F8 on Asus boards) and select the ML drive. Select the ML icon at the Chimera screen and boot. If your ...boot.plist has GE=Yes and you have the video problem, change it to GE=No and try again. Post results.

Please excuse my ignorance. I find above instructions very complicated/confusing to execute.
Please simplify.

Also I am confused as to why during ML install (without having applied the MB) the GPU was recognised as NATIVE in ML. See the snap shot.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 120
Please excuse my ignorance. I find above instructions very complicated/confusing to execute.
Please simplify.

Also I am confused as to why during ML install (without having applied the MB) the GPU was recognised as NATIVE in ML. See the snap shot.
Because the GK104 Keplar GPU chip gained native support in ML. Once ML is installed you no longer need GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot-arg in your org.chameleon.boot.plist. Make sure when you are selection GPU boot-args in MultiBeast you select GE=No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back