Contribute
Register

Install Mountain Lion on Snow Leopard PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might try posting over in the Post Installation->Graphics forum.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/graphics.13/

It is possible Apple dropped support for the 9500GT in ML or Lion and you will need a new GPU.
GB, thanks.
I have posted in Graphics Forum as you advised.
I have also been searching (tonymacx68) for a compatible GPU both Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion.
Do you have any info or know of such a GPU?
Regards

Thanks, but listings are for Gigabyte Motherboard Builds.
Will it be OK for my build ASUS motherboard?
Also will I have to Fresh reinstall Snow leopard and then UPGRADE to Mountain Lion?
Regards
Any of the GPUs will work on any brand main board. Fresh install is not required - Question: do you plan to install over existing SL or clean install?

Any of the GPUs will work on any brand main board. Fresh install is not required - Question: do you plan to install over existing SL or clean install?
GB thanks.
I am very sorry that I did not understand your question.
At present I have a PERFECT working Snow Leopard with nVidia GeForce 9500GT.
Please guide me for following:
1) What will happen if I just ADD NEW GPU to my current installed Snow Leopard.
2) Since the Apple ML download is sitting in the SL Apps, I will Opt for a Clean Install (I don't need to save any previous apps/files). After having added the New GPU, do I Boot using USB UniBeast and Select ML install?
Please help.
Regards

GB thanks.
I am very sorry that I did not understand your question.
At present I have a PERFECT working Snow Leopard with nVidia GeForce 9500GT.
Please guide me for following:
1) What will happen if I just ADD NEW GPU to my current installed Snow Leopard.
2) Since the Apple ML download is sitting in the SL Apps, I will Opt for a Clean Install (I don't need to save any previous apps/files). After having added the New GPU, do I Boot using USB UniBeast and Select ML install?
Please help.
Regards
If your new GPU is an nVidia from the supported list try installing it and booting SL to see if SL will support it.
If it will, remove the 9500GT, switch the new GPU to that PCIe slot, boot the ML UniBeast USB and install.

Recommend at least erasing the SL partition if you do not reformat the entire drive.

If your new GPU is an nVidia from the supported list try installing it and booting SL to see if SL will support it.
If it will, remove the 9500GT, switch the new GPU to that PCIe slot, boot the ML UniBeast USB and install.

Recommend at least erasing the SL partition if you do not reformat the entire drive.

GB thanks a million for your help. Will buy a New Card as per list and will report back the outcome.
Regards

Hi GB
Its been difficult to locate a GPU as per your GPU list as these are old cards and no longer manufactured.
However I did manage to buy one GeForce GTX 670 and report back as follows, with snap shots.
A) Installed New GPU GTX 670 into PCIe Slot2.
Booted and got Blank Blue Screen.
Switched monitor Connection on GPU, same Blue screen (but noticed the HDD Activity Led indicating that the system loaded
but NO Graphics on monitor).
B) Reconnected monitor cable back to Original GPU (which is on PCIe Slot1), the system booted perfect into Snow Leopard.

While in Snow Leopard, please note the showing of Cards on PCIe Slots1&2.
4 snap shots included.

Please advise what to do next.
I will appreciate it if you could please advise urgently as I have 10 Days to return the New GPU back to eBay seller.

Kind regards

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 107
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
GB thanks a million for your help. Will buy a New Card as per list and will report back the outcome.
Regards

Hi GB
Its been difficult to locate a GPU as per your GPU list as these are old cards and no longer manufactured.
However I did meage to buy one Geforce GTX 670 and report back as follows, with snap shots.
A) Installed New GPU GTX 670 into PCIe Slot2.
Booted and got Blank Blue Screen.
Swithched monitor Connection on GPU, same Blue screen (but noticed the HDD Activity Led indicating that the system loaded
but NO Graphics on monitor).
B) Reconnected monitor cable back to Original GPU (which is on PCIe Slot1), the system booted perfect into Snow Leopard.

While in Snow Leopard, please note the showing of Cards on PCIe Slots1&2.
4 snap shots included.

Please advise what to do next.
I will appreciate it if you could please advise urgently as I have 10 Days to return the New GPU back to eBay seller.

Kind regards

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 90
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
@juttla
does the video card output when the board is posting at startup?
Have you connected 6pin/8pin power cables to the end of the GPU?
Note card may work with ML but not in SL due to lack of SL drivers as indicated by the "Unknown" entry in System profiler.
Suggest install ML on a spare drive from SL and boot it using the 670 card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back