Contribute
Register

Install Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V2 (Mavericks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installation Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V2

1. 8 gb ram would probably suffice for most needs really. Go for the 1600 mhz stuff though. The NUC has issues with 1866 I believe.

2. See above. My recommendation is to have 2 x memory sticks, regardless of whether you opt for 8 Gb or 16 Gb.

3. Im pretty sure Bootcamp doesnt work on a hackintosh using the setup I have provided. I *think* you may have more luck with Clover for that, but search the forums to double check. You also have the option of using a vm; VirtualBox is very good (And free), as well as the usual Parallels, VMware etc.

4. I havent updated my bios yet since everything works here with the current version of the guide. You can try with 0028 and it will probably be ok, if not then downgrading to the previous version is a straight forward task.

Thanks

1) Will get 1600

2) Will get 2 x 4GB

3) Wont want virtualalization for gaming.. would want stand alone install.. will see clover for it..

4) Good to know u can downgrade..

Awaiting box.. anything else i should remember or do??

Thanks

1) Will get 1600

2) Will get 2 x 4GB

3) Wont want virtualalization for gaming.. would want stand alone install.. will see clover for it..

4) Good to know u can downgrade..

Awaiting box.. anything else i should remember or do??

Dont lay the top panel face down on anything other than a soft cloth/towel/tshirt or something similar. It scratches very easily.

Dont lay the top panel face down on anything other than a soft cloth/towel/tshirt or something similar. It scratches very easily.

Noted..

I will try this guide instead then : http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ion-guide-using-clover-intel-haswell-nuc.html

As I want to have dual boot.. So I just use his guide.. its not a next step from your guide right? Because reading his guide it seems he already OS X installed and then installaing Clover on it..

Noted..

I will try this guide instead then : http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ion-guide-using-clover-intel-haswell-nuc.html

As I want to have dual boot.. So I just use his guide.. its not a next step from your guide right? Because reading his guide it seems he already OS X installed and then installaing Clover on it..
If you are going to install with Clover, you might find my build useful: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...well-i5-4250u-nuc-boxd54250wykh1-8gb-ram.html
Also, forget about Bootcamp. While there are some workarounds to try and use it on a hack, they really make it a lot more difficult and extremely frustrating. Much easier to just do an ordinary install of Windows alongside OS X.

If you are going to install with Clover, you might find my build useful: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...well-i5-4250u-nuc-boxd54250wykh1-8gb-ram.html
Also, forget about Bootcamp. While there are some workarounds to try and use it on a hack, they really make it a lot more difficult and extremely frustrating. Much easier to just do an ordinary install of Windows alongside OS X.

So what's the difference of ordinary install of windows alongside OSX and bootcamp method? I mean is that i don't have 2 HDD to install them separately. I want to do it on the same box, with bootloader.. Is there a guide for that (Donkey / Clover / Your's) ??

So what's the difference of ordinary install of windows alongside OSX and bootcamp method? I mean is that i don't have 2 HDD to install them separately. I want to do it on the same box, with bootloader.. Is there a guide for that (Donkey / Clover / Your's) ??

Bootcamp is a proprietary program from Apple. It is designed to work with EFI implemented in firmware (i.e. real Macs) and the effort involved in trying to "trick" bootcamp into working on a hack is counter productive.

The NUC is a PC and is designed to work for installing Windows out of the box.

As you will have gathered, you have a choice on whether to install and boot using Unibeast/Multibeast/Chimera or to do it with Clover. This thread is for Unibeast/Chimera, my build is for getting installed with Clover. Either approach will work with dual boot I believe (using a single disk or two). My method uses 2 disks (albeit fused as a single "Fusion Drive" type volume), but I see no reason why - with probably a little bit of work - you should not be able to succeed in installing both OS types on a single drive and for that you can just look at other dual boot installs for other hacks.

Bootcamp is a proprietary program from Apple. It is designed to work with EFI implemented in firmware (i.e. real Macs) and the effort involved in trying to "trick" bootcamp into working on a hack is counter productive.

The NUC is a PC and is designed to work for installing Windows out of the box.

As you will have gathered, you have a choice on whether to install and boot using Unibeast/Multibeast/Chimera or to do it with Clover. This thread is for Unibeast/Chimera, my build is for getting installed with Clover. Either approach will work with dual boot I believe (using a single disk or two). My method uses 2 disks (albeit fused as a single "Fusion Drive" type volume), but I see no reason why - with probably a little bit of work - you should not be able to succeed in installing both OS types on a single drive and for that you can just look at other dual boot installs for other hacks.

Totally correct.

My method does work with a dual install; I simply chose not to document it as that was not the focus of my guide. I give you a solid starting point using the standard install tools here on the site and get you to the point where your hardware is fully configured and ready to go using that approach. After you reach that stage you can use your system as is, for a complete OSX system that works well, or you can then read up on the many dual boot guides available to install Windows alongside it. Even Linux too, it can be triple booted.

I also chose not to document a fusion style setup, as that would have complicated the guide too much for our newcomers who just want to get their build up and running.

Minihacks build will also get you up and running, just using a different bootloader. That works just as well and will get you to the stage where you have a fully installed and 100% working system too.

Different roads, same destination. After that, you can choose which way you go.

:)

I thought I 'd share my success story using the first page's guide.

Setup:
54250WYK
1x 8GB Kingston module KVR16LS11/8
Mushkin 120GB Atlas Deluxe

Tips: All the reboots with the flags in Section 6 needed to be down twice to work, since it was hanging at "System uptime in nanoseconds..."
For section 7 boot, I added the maxmem=4096 and from then on it was flawless.

Everything works except of course my 2230 intel wifi card.
I have sound through the headphone/speaker jack but during boot and sleep I can hear one or two popping crackling distortions. No biggie.
Thank you WonkieDonkie for the wonderful tutorial!

Now on to the iMac G4 tear down..... :beachball:

I guess i spoke too soon. I have executed all steps but the last one on fakesmc. I altered my original kexts. Never made a copy... :banghead: now it is stuck at logo screen... verbose boot shows it is stuck at ioBluetooth.... Does anyone know how I can start fresh..... again.. :crazy:
Booting from the usb drive gets stuck at nanoseconds.

I guess i spoke too soon. I have executed all steps but the last one on fakesmc. I altered my original kexts. Never made a copy... :banghead: now it is stuck at logo screen... verbose boot shows it is stuck at ioBluetooth.... Does anyone know how I can start fresh..... again.. :crazy:
Booting from the usb drive gets stuck at nanoseconds.

Reboot the installer itself then copy FakeSMC back to /System/Library/Extensions.

If its sticking on IOBluetooth it may well be graphics related. Post an image of what you see in verbose mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back