Contribute
Register

Install Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V1 (Mavericks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installation Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK)

Firstly - thanks to Wonkey Donkey and all the contributors to this thread. I have built and hackintoshed my last 3 PCs using Multibeast and guides from this site and so I have a great appreciation of the effort you guys put in to working the magic that you do.

I am seriously looking at this NUC for my next build but (maybe I'm getting too old or something) the attraction of hackintoshing seems to be fading.

Money wise, the total outlay seems to be circa £300-350 and looking to eBay I can see used i5 Mac Mini's for around this money (2011 model) or £350-400 for the 2012 (current model). I even have some contacts in the US and I saw yesrerday that I could have got my hands on an official Apple Store refurbed 4Gig, 500GB, i5 Mini with 12 months warranty for $509!

I know the NUC gives you faster built-in graphics but am starting to think only real advantage of "rolling your own" is the satisfaction of beating Apple and getting your PC to do more than it was ever intended to do. And that satisfaction comes with an appreciation that almost every update will require you to get back "under the hood" tweaking settings and patching kernels and kexts for a few hours (days?) to get things running somoothly again.

As I say, I do appreciate the satisafaction that this "hobby" can offer but perhaps I have just spent too many hours fighting computers into submission and that partiular "buzz" is wearing thin for me. Previously I could always convince myself that the ££££ savings made the additional hassle worthwhile. Now I'm not so sure. Not wanting to detract from this thread but anyone any thoughts on this?

Are we at the point where we are doing this (like the mountaineers) just because we can?

Hi,

I have a problem with the install. I'm at Step 5. OSX have installed correctly, I have rebooted it, copied the patched kernel etc.
No i want to boot my installed OSX using my Unibest pendrive. But the system fails to boot - it prints an error:

Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory.

What might be the issue here? My device is Intel NUC D54250WYKH

Thank You for your help.

All best,
g.

Thx so much wonkey donkey , your tutorial helped me immensily.. altho it was not till that last audio file you posted that got all my audio up and running, the funny thing is after i applied the latest file you posted the onboard headphone jack would not work altho hdmi audio did.. rebooted etc .. left went to town .. unplugged computer and moved it to a different room and plugged it back up , and boom headphone jack worked also.. really strange but i suggest peeps cycle power completely .. not just reboot... or unplug and plug back up headphones....

Bios Update 0025 is out! :) Don't know if it changes anything regarding this thread.

Firstly - thanks to Wonkey Donkey and all the contributors to this thread. I have built and hackintoshed my last 3 PCs using Multibeast and guides from this site and so I have a great appreciation of the effort you guys put in to working the magic that you do.

I am seriously looking at this NUC for my next build but (maybe I'm getting too old or something) the attraction of hackintoshing seems to be fading.

Money wise, the total outlay seems to be circa £300-350 and looking to eBay I can see used i5 Mac Mini's for around this money (2011 model) or £350-400 for the 2012 (current model). I even have some contacts in the US and I saw yesrerday that I could have got my hands on an official Apple Store refurbed 4Gig, 500GB, i5 Mini with 12 months warranty for $509!

I know the NUC gives you faster built-in graphics but am starting to think only real advantage of "rolling your own" is the satisfaction of beating Apple and getting your PC to do more than it was ever intended to do. And that satisfaction comes with an appreciation that almost every update will require you to get back "under the hood" tweaking settings and patching kernels and kexts for a few hours (days?) to get things running somoothly again.

As I say, I do appreciate the satisafaction that this "hobby" can offer but perhaps I have just spent too many hours fighting computers into submission and that partiular "buzz" is wearing thin for me. Previously I could always convince myself that the ££££ savings made the additional hassle worthwhile. Now I'm not so sure. Not wanting to detract from this thread but anyone any thoughts on this?

Are we at the point where we are doing this (like the mountaineers) just because we can?

I know what you mean yep. Sometimes in the hackintosh world, its just good to get yourself a working machine, put everything else away and forget about it for a while and go do something useful with your time. I have a collection of mobos, cpu's, gpu's and other stuff here, mosty bought for hackintoshing. The thing is that although I pretty much had all of them built, each one has its own little gotcha that I wasn't prepared to put up with. So i moved on and bought another new piece of gear, and so it builds up and up.

My first full hackintosh build that was very stable was a Gigabyte P55M-UD4. I loved it too. Dead easy to setup. Sadly I dont have it anymore and those motherboards rarely come up for sale anywhere. I then moved onto a Z68MX-UD2H-B3. Another rock solid board that was stable as hell and just worked; I paired that with a 2700K Sandybridge CPU. That was the last generation to run Snow Leopard too which I clung to for a long time. I still have all the parts for this build sat collecting dust, Im loath to let them go. But it was the graphics that caught me out. I got myself a 27 inch Cinema Display, the one with the mini displayport connector on it. Great monitor but it limits what graphics options you can use. If I knew then what I know now I would have waited and got something with HDMI instead, there is a very apple-like monitor made by Iiyama that uses the same panel as this display. It has all the regular connectors to pick from. I was picky with the graphics cards too, it had to be single slot width and had to be passive otherwise I just wouldnt use it.

Right now, aside from my NUC I have a mini-itx build which works lovely after a lot of hard work going into various aspects of it. The whole setup has one little gotcha which Im prepared to live with.

Its a labour of love sometimes on the hackintosh scene, and there are days when you just have to sit back and think about something else, otherwise you will be consumed with it all.

And yes, I too still have a mac mini from 2011. Its one of the very few remaining ones left that has the i7 processor and the Radeon GPU. Its long in the tooth by any standard but still remains a little workhorse that can be guaranteed to keep going. The only thing it lacks by todays standards is USB3; though it has FW800 which isn't so bad, since I have a dual drive that accepts either connection type. Every time something doesnt quite work on my hackintosh, I keep saying to myself that Im gonna go back to that mini and bring it back to use instead. It can comfortably take 2 x fast SSDs and 16Gb ram so there is life in the old boy yet.

:p

Hi,

I have a problem with the install. I'm at Step 5. OSX have installed correctly, I have rebooted it, copied the patched kernel etc.
No i want to boot my installed OSX using my Unibest pendrive. But the system fails to boot - it prints an error:

Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory.

What might be the issue here? My device is Intel NUC D54250WYKH

Thank You for your help.

All best,
g.

That message is quite normal when rebooting, you can safely ignore it. You should do screen pic so we can see what it is doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Bios Update 0025 is out! :) Don't know if it changes anything regarding this thread.

No it doesn't, I already checked. Its just as bad as the last update lol

Hi,

I am sumbitting my screen photo. There is another weird thing. When i boot the installer with "-v UseKernelCache=no" i get the same error. But when I just boot it without any parameters, the installer boots just fine and i can install my OSX.

image-1.jpg

Hey guys, sorry bothering (half) offtopic, but i got an issue with my D54250WYK after upgrading from bios 0024 (worked good) to 0025.

At the moment the system uses OPENelec/XBMC which was very stable with 0024.

Now i recognized that after upgrading BIOS to 0025 now the DVB-C stick crashes.

I tried downgrading to 0024 via Recovery-Mode (no jumper) and resetting to default settings in BIOS (F9) but it still doesn't work. There has to be some leftover from 0025.

So:

Can you tell me if removing the battery is really the only way for a TRUE cmos reset? Seems so? :(

Thanks!

Hi,

I am sumbitting my screen photo. There is another weird thing. When i boot the installer with "-v UseKernelCache=no" i get the same error. But when I just boot it without any parameters, the installer boots just fine and i can install my OSX.

View attachment 87468

Cant read a thing on that, its way too small. If it works for you without the boot flags then go for it :)

The larger photo is here:

http://imgur.com/vIyq8yx

i am able to boot the installer without any parameters, but when i try to boot the installed system i get the above error. No matter if i add the parameters or not.

what might be the issue here?

thanks in advance,
g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back