Contribute
Register

Install Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V1 (Mavericks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installation Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK)

Step 5 of the guide is your answer. The kernel needs to be patched to prevent the reboot.

Is there a way to do this from the Chimera boot screen? The issue is I can't get as far as the Mavericks installation screen to get to terminal/disk utility. I see several pages of text using -v UseKernelCache=no then it immediately reboots the computer.

Wonkey Donkey,

Could you please upload your mach_kernel to this post (so your guide is unchanged)

that should close my issues.

Thanks

Is there a way to do this from the Chimera boot screen? The issue is I can't get as far as the Mavericks installation screen to get to terminal/disk utility. I see several pages of text using -v UseKernelCache=no then it immediately reboots the computer.

No, but you could use another hack to do it, or even do it using a linux boot cd, so long as you have a copy of the 10.9.2 kernel available to you.

Once it is modified, copy the kernel to the unibeast usb stick and boot from it to terminal, then copy it from the usb stick to your system.

Do you have a 10.9.2 unibeast stick available now ?

Wonkey Donkey,

Could you please upload your mach_kernel to this post (so your guide is unchanged)

that should close my issues.

Thanks

Can you be clear on exactly what issues you are having ?

Please refer to post 279/280. I no longer have access to a mac just the 9.0 mavericks usb with old unibeast and the messed up nuc. Your current mach_kernel should get me going

Please refer to post 279/280. I no longer have access to a mac just the 9.0 mavericks usb with old unibeast and the messed up nuc. Your current mach_kernel should get me going

Give me a few minutes and I'll post it for you guys.

Hi,

For us hackintosh noobs who followed your guide in the 10.9.1 days and then blunderingly installed the 10.9.2 update from the app store, can you spell out how to copy the backup mach_kernel to an improperly upgraded NUC so as to fix the reboot problem? Do you have to recreate the bootable USB stick with 10.9.2 and boot from that, or is there a more direct route?

I'm in the same situation as krishnaniyerma and revive: stuck on the Chimera boot screen and unable to get into the installer and therefore into the terminal to copy the new mach_kernel over.

So please could you explain how to use the new Install Pack 3.7? Start over with steps 1-5? Or do we have to do something special with the modified kernel once it is on the USB stick?

I have access to an unbroken mac if needed.

Thanks.

EDIT: just missed that nweining has said this much more succinctly than I just did!

Ok, let me spell out the issue and possible solutions for you guys who have applied the 10.9.2 upgrade.

With 10.9.1 and earlier, we had to apply a single kernel patch.

With 10.9.2, we have to apply 2 patches.

In each case, it was simply not possible to run OSX without those patches.

Its is not a good idea to mix different kernels with different versions of OSX, so please do not attempt that.

There is a new version of the Install Pack attached to the guide (Version 3.7). In that pack, I have included a backup copy of the kernel that has the 2 patches and is for OSX 10.9.2. So to get you up and running, you can simply copy that kernel across.

The problem you now face, is how to copy that to your working system.

You should have your USB install key, created by using the Unibeast creation tool, and is probably OSX 10.9.1 at this stage.

There are 2 methods I would try for this.

Method 1

First is to boot your system using a bootable Linux CD. Any one of your choice will do. Once booted, download the V3.7 Install Pack, unzip it, and copy the kernel to your USB Unibeast drive, but using a different name. Call it 'mach_kernel10.9.2' for example.

Then, boot your system from the USB Unibeast drive as if you were going to perform a new install, and copy said kernel file across to your NUC using Terminal, in much the same way as described in the guide. When doing this, you would need to delete the existing kernel file, copy the new one across and then rename it back to mach_kernel.

** End of Method 1

Now this method assumes you have a Linux CD that is setup to allow writing to the Mac OS File System, which is hfs+. Not all LInux CD's have this built in.

If not, then method 2 below is the way to go.

Method 2

Grab yourself a blank unused USB key.

Boot your system using a bootable Linux CD, and format the blank USB key using the FAT32 file system. Download and unzip the latest Install Pack, grab the kernel file and copy it to the USB key that has the FAT32 file system. All Linux distributions support this.

Now, boot your system up using your original OSX 10.9.1 USB Unibeast key, but also plugin the second one that has the kernel file on it.

When you get to the installer, run Terminal app once again, and copy the kernel file from the FAT32 USB key direct to your system installation on the NUC.

If using this method, please be careful enough not to format your USB Unibeast key.

** End of method 2

If you need further assistance with either of these methods, please post a request here.

Don't panic though, you have not lost everything on your NUC. We simply need to do a bit of trickery to get them up and running again; this is due to the fact that we have to patch the kernel yet again. Unfortunately we can not get around this because as you all know by now, the NUC will simply not work without it.

The ideal scenario would have been to recreate the 10.9.2 installer prior to applying the update. It seems some may have been a little hasty in running the update without doing this first, but its not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back