Motherboard
Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING WIFI
CPU
i7
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
There you find a brief manual to install Catalina on a Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING WIFI (with an RX 580 graphics card).

Since I have spent a while figuring out proper settings, I thought to share my findings.
Hope it helps someone out of the dark..

You need a mac currently working, with clover configurator installed.

Road to success in brief:

- download the EFI attached to this post
- Open Clover Configurator on a working mac
- open config that you have downloaded with clover configurator
- > RT Variables: Rom -> Generate New
- > SMB Variables: System -> Generate New; SmUUID -> Generate New
- > System Parameters: Generate New
=> this is now your main-EFI

- Create installer memory stick (Download Catalina, Create boot stick, the instructions for Mojave are working)
- Copy below mentioned installers of the lates version to your memory stick (the installation, not EFI partition):
- clover configurator
- clover bootloader
- Open clover configurator (on your working machine), mount EFI of the just created bootable stick
- copy the main-EFI folder to the bootable memory sticks EFI partition
=> this is your boot stick now

- Boot from stick and follow the instructions (several reboots required, always boot from stick)
- after first login
- install clover configurator on your new hack
- install clover boot loader on your new hack (ignore error messages about version), click customize and select the following flags :
- > Recomended drivers: ApfsDriverLoader, AptioMemoryFix, AudioDxe, DataHubDxe, FSInject, HFSPlus
- > Input devices: AptioInputFix, UsbKbDxe
- > Driver Filesystem: VBoxHFS
- > Memory Fix: OsxAptioFixDrv
- > FileValult: FirmwareVolume
- > Additional drivers: PartitionDxe
-> RC Scripts install on target volume
- Open Clover Configurator -> Mount EFI on your local disk
- Copy the main-EFI from the memory stick to the EFI on your new local disk

Attachments

• EFI_Catalina_17102019.zip
    17.5 MB · Views: 654
What is your Bios version?

Latest, F13.
The above EFI migth show a black screen if you update from 15.0 to 15.1.

Can you update EFI to the 10.15.1?

surely:
Attached is EFI for Catalina 10.15.1 on a Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING (RX 580).

Attachments

• EFI_Catalina_10.15.1_13112019.zip
    38.4 MB · Views: 515
surely:
Attached is EFI for Catalina 10.15.1 on a Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING (RX 580).
Thank you for this. I was struggling to get my EFI working and yours worked perfectly. I then switched my SMBIOS to imac pro which also needed an ethernet kext and all working very well... even USB ports work for storage.

ASROCK Z370 extreme4 i7-8700k Vega 64 LC

Edit, Had a total system freeze up today under load so deleted Lilu and Whatevergreen, running for a few hours now and no crashes. though GPU fan seems to be running a little high. its a new card though so not sure what the norm is.

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for evertything. Now I'm working with Catalina but at startup I can't boot automatically so I need to press enter with a wired keyboard so is normal but usually I use bluethoot keyboard so before on High Sierra all where working too good but I can't make it again (auto boot) I have used clover to modify but is not working. Could you help me please?

Hello, thanks for evertything. Now I'm working with Catalina but at startup I can't boot automatically so I need to press enter with a wired keyboard so is normal but usually I use bluethoot keyboard so before on High Sierra all where working too good but I can't make it again (auto boot) I have used clover to modify but is not working. Could you help me please?

ok resolve... https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-timeout-not-working-on-clover.217266/

Hi, I solved this problem using boot.efi rather than BOOTX64.efi in default loader in boot clover options.

by jnokia https://www.tonymacx86.com/members/jnokia.15631/

any noticeable changes need to be made to this for a GTX 1070?
I got a no smoking symbol after the clover boot screen

Edit: people probably already know this but apple discontinued support for all nvidia gpus from mojave on up
heres a list for supported gpu's Supported GPU's Mojave and Catalina

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back