Contribute
Register

Install Catalina with iGPU only - Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it - I think there are many ways to skin a cat and it sounds like there may be too many cooks in the kitchen right now.

I’ll keep watching your progress and if you need my help, just post in my thread. Like I said I’m out of town so I will be of limited help.

Hey, I'm no cook. I just clean up around here ... :lol:

Keep joining in. That's what the community is about :thumbup:

Well I have a UniBeast for Catalina USB here - the EFI in post #77 is the one from UniBeast but with a change of system-definition to "iMacPro1,1", "InjectIntel" deselected and the "agdpmod=pikera" boot-command added.

Personally I would have left the UniBeast EFI as original and just added the "agdpmod=pikera" command at boot, as you have suggested, to avoid confusion. :thumbup:

Agreed, at post #69 it was stated that the system was up and running but with system-definition iMac14,2. Good. I recommend that. But then all was scuppered by iStat and Intel Power Gadget. These, and HWMonitor plug-ins, are often the cause of problems.

Finally, I'm still not comfortable with the idea of the Serial Port not having an enabled/disabled switch due to the latest BIOS. We have to remember the "latest" is not always the best when we are running an OS on a motherboard not intended for it.

:)

Yes. That what i have. Just agdpmod=pikera and the iMac Pro 1,1 SMBIOS. Need to figure a way of why these apps related to sensors keep crashing.

Got it - I think there are many ways to skin a cat and it sounds like there may be too many cooks in the kitchen right now.

I’ll keep watching your progress and if you need my help, just post in my thread. Like I said I’m out of town so I will be of limited help.

Will go through your thread and sure want to get the full system working. I will come back to you once that is done.

My interest is to get the system working with just the iGPU. since it is working with the RX 5700 XT now, i thought i can dig around and enable hardware acceleration of the iGPU and then later on figure a way of how to make work with just the iGPU.

Will let you know of the progress.

So how to setup the OC bootable USB. Shall I just configure the BIOS and replace my EFI with the EFI you have in GitHub? and then install as normal? hopefully it is that simple.

OC is setup just like Clover just copy the release from my github and update the required fields as per readme. If you switch from clover to OC best to reflash your bios to start clean and unlock it to get a working nvram. All is working perfectly since my switch to OC even fan sensors

Just an update, I'm back at my Hack. I can verify with the new BIOS interface, there doesn't seem to be an option to disable the Serial Ports. These last batches of Gaming X mobos probably shipped with the F9 BIOS, and they have the new interface. I am not sure if it is wise to downgrade the BIOS -- that could open a whole new can of worms -- but if it continues to be a problem, then you might have to in order to disable the Serial Ports.

I also checked with my EFI and settings. It doesn't seem to support the onboard HDMI output. When I plug in a monitor to the onboard, my computer hangs. When I restart and I have my monitor as my primary display, it hangs during the Apple logo.

So bottom line, I don't think my EFI or suggestions will get you the iGPU only running. I am not sure I have time to figure it out in the next coming days (my darned day job!!!). But if I do, I will update my findings.

Interestingly, GertyMcGee in my build post mentioned that he had the iGPU functioning and outputting a signal. He has a similar build to yours -- I think the CPU is different, but it shouldn't matter for this. Maybe contact him and see if he has any advice?

Good luck!

Just an update, I'm back at my Hack. I can verify with the new BIOS interface, there doesn't seem to be an option to disable the Serial Ports. These last batches of Gaming X mobos probably shipped with the F9 BIOS, and they have the new interface. I am not sure if it is wise to downgrade the BIOS -- that could open a whole new can of worms -- but if it continues to be a problem, then you might have to in order to disable the Serial Ports.

I also checked with my EFI and settings. It doesn't seem to support the onboard HDMI output. When I plug in a monitor to the onboard, my computer hangs. When I restart and I have my monitor as my primary display, it hangs during the Apple logo.

So bottom line, I don't think my EFI or suggestions will get you the iGPU only running. I am not sure I have time to figure it out in the next coming days (my darned day job!!!). But if I do, I will update my findings.

Interestingly, GertyMcGee in my build post mentioned that he had the iGPU functioning and outputting a signal. He has a similar build to yours -- I think the CPU is different, but it shouldn't matter for this. Maybe contact him and see if he has any advice?

Good luck!

Thanks Tedyun. Really appreciated. I still have not tried your EFI as i also got busy. But will let you know if GertyMcGee post is of any help here.
Important thing that i have it running for now with the RX 5700 XT. Probably my friend can live with the rx 5700 instead of the RTX 2070.
I will wait for your update.

OC is setup just like Clover just copy the release from my github and update the required fields as per readme. If you switch from clover to OC best to reflash your bios to start clean and unlock it to get a working nvram. All is working perfectly since my switch to OC even fan sensors

I have tried your OC EFI. It works. I see that you have a patched SSDT.

One piont. I see that the system does not recognize SATA drives. Do i need to add a kext?

I have one m2 and two sata ssds connected to mine one that acts as a carbon copy clone so they work fine for me with the EFI. You can see them on the github sensor screenshots
Depending on what m2 slot you use some sata ports get disabled by the motherboard so you need to take that into account.

Yeah, I wouldn't use my EFI if you want to get the HDMI to output a signal. I have to patch the framebuffers correctly. What I did was to use the available patch for the Z390M Gaming mobo. It allowed me to enable the iGPU (which is needed for Sidecar), but it doesn't allow for a usable port.

That's great that you have it up and running! Congrats!

Thanks Tedyun. Really appreciated. I still have not tried your EFI as i also got busy. But will let you know if GertyMcGee post is of any help here.
Important thing that i have it running for now with the RX 5700 XT. Probably my friend can live with the rx 5700 instead of the RTX 2070.
I will wait for your update.

I have one m2 and two sata ssds connected to mine one that acts as a carbon copy clone so they work fine for me with the EFI.
Depending on what m2 slot you use some sata ports get disabled by the motherboard so you need to take that into account.

I am currently using the lower m.2 and plan to use the one next to the cpu soon.

Is this link between sata and m.2 related to OC or motherboard? Where can i read more about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back