Contribute
Register

Install Catalina with iGPU only - Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess what, i made a new usb bootable disc and i forgot to change the default 14,2 smbios. I was able to boot with just the agdpmod=pikera boot argument.

Let me complete the install and get back to you. I will later change it to 19,1 or imac pro 1,1.

Did you use any other boot arguments to tweak anything else?

I am booting with disabled IGFX.
Did you manage to get the IGFX acceleration working along with the RX 5700 XT?

Currently IGFX disabled... haven't really messed with enabling.

Check my profile for a working efi with OC 5.8
i found clover to be a nightmare on this board but OC was an instant hit

Sure OC is on my TODO list. I started with Clover as it is supposedly my comfort zone.

Did you also install the HWMonitors as part of the Multibeast package? I read somewhere that these can conflict with Intel Power Gadget.

It would be helpful if you listed your Multibeast, Clover settings, any SSDTs you have installed.

But it sounds like you’re making progress!

Thanks again. I got it installed using only the agdpmod=pikera. It was working fine. There is an issue with it. When i installed intel power gadget, it installed fine. When i try to launch it, the hackintosh forze and restarted.

Then i went and installed istat menus. When i try to launch it, the hackintosh froze and restarted. Now, once i login, the hackintosh freezes and restarts. That is because istat menus tries to launch automatically after login.

according to Namok88, this has to do with the frame buffer patching that is not done yet.

Will wait for your for framebuffer patching. Meanwhile, i will reinstall.

Did you also install the HWMonitors as part of the Multibeast package? I read somewhere that these can conflict with Intel Power Gadget.

It would be helpful if you listed your Multibeast, Clover settings, any SSDTs you have installed.

But it sounds like you’re making progress!

No. I have not installed any of above. Actually, so far I have not used multicast and I don't actually plan to. What does it do different than the EFI made form the unibeast?

Check my profile for a working efi with OC 5.8
i found clover to be a nightmare on this board but OC was an instant hit

So how to setup the OC bootable USB. Shall I just configure the BIOS and replace my EFI with the EFI you have in GitHub? and then install as normal? hopefully it is that simple.

You just copied over the EFI from UniBeast? I can’t check on the differences right now, your config.plist, kexts and other items need to be tailored to your system. You can go through my post on my build.

I think you should configure it optimally before trying to run istat or intel power gadget.

If you want to go the OC route, I think you should make that decision now before you invest a lot of time into clover

No. I have not installed any of above. Actually, so far I have not used multicast and I don't actually plan to. What does it do different than the EFI made form the unibeast?

You just copied over the EFI from UniBeast? I can’t check on the differences right now, your config.plist, kexts and other items need to be tailored to your system. You can go through my post on my build.

I think you should configure it optimally before trying to run istat or intel power gadget.

If you want to go the OC route, I think you should make that decision now before you invest a lot of time into clover

Certainly I want to continue with Clover as I don't know anything about OC.

Edit. This is my current EFI folder. I am still booting from the unibeast install EFI.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 81
I guess I can’t explain it better than I did in my build post. I think that should work for you, as long as you add the pikera boot argument for your card

I wouldn’t try running it off the unibeast efi for very long. It was meant to work on as many PC’s as possible. I know that the EFI I based mine off of was pastrychef’s and he spent a lot of time to optimize it. But I don’t know the Unibeast config offhand.

I have my iGPU enabled and it is only with those settings that I can get a stable build. I haven’t mapped the onboard HDMI port though so it isn’t outputting a signal.

If you have any questions, post in my build thread and I’ll try to help you out.

Certainly I want to continue with Clover as I don't know anything about OC.

Edit. This is my current EFI folder. I am still booting from the unibeast install EFI.

I guess I can’t explain it better than I did in my build post. I think that should work for you, as long as you add the pikera boot argument for your card

I wouldn’t try running it off the unibeast efi for very long. It was meant to work on as many PC’s as possible. I know that the EFI I based mine off of was pastrychef’s and he spent a lot of time to optimize it. But I don’t know the Unibeast config offhand.

I have my iGPU enabled and it is only with those settings that I can get a stable build. I haven’t mapped the onboard HDMI port though so it isn’t outputting a signal.

If you have any questions, post in my build thread and I’ll try to help you out.

Well I have a UniBeast for Catalina USB here - the EFI in post #77 is the one from UniBeast but with a change of system-definition to "iMacPro1,1", "InjectIntel" deselected and the "agdpmod=pikera" boot-command added.

Personally I would have left the UniBeast EFI as original and just added the "agdpmod=pikera" command at boot, as you have suggested, to avoid confusion. :thumbup:

Agreed, at post #69 it was stated that the system was up and running but with system-definition iMac14,2. Good. I recommend that. But then all was scuppered by iStat and Intel Power Gadget. These, and HWMonitor plug-ins, are often the cause of problems.

Finally, I'm still not comfortable with the idea of the Serial Port not having an enabled/disabled switch due to the latest BIOS. We have to remember the "latest" is not always the best when we are running an OS on a motherboard not intended for it.

:)

Got it - I think there are many ways to skin a cat and it sounds like there may be too many cooks in the kitchen right now.

I’ll keep watching your progress and if you need my help, just post in my thread. Like I said I’m out of town so I will be of limited help.

Well I have a UniBeast for Catalina USB here - the EFI in post #77 is the one from UniBeast but with a change of system-definition to "iMacPro1,1", "InjectIntel" deselected and the "agdpmod=pikera" boot-command added.

Personally I would have left the UniBeast EFI as original and just added the "agdpmod=pikera" command at boot, as you have suggested, to avoid confusion. :thumbup:

Agreed, at post #69 it was stated that the system was up and running but with system-definition iMac14,2. Good. I recommend that. But then all was scuppered by iStat and Intel Power Gadget. These, and HWMonitor plug-ins, are often the cause of problems.

Finally, I'm still not comfortable with the idea of the Serial Port not having an enabled/disabled switch due to the latest BIOS. We have to remember the "latest" is not always the best when we are running an OS on a motherboard not intended for it.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back