Contribute
Register

Increase WD SN750 NVMe read/write performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Was wondering if anyone had experience with NVMes/SSDs under Catalina. I'd been getting around 3000MB/s read & write on the Aja System Test with a 1TB WD SN850 fitted in my new Gigabyte B550 Vision D board, but not the 7000-5300MB/s read-write rates that the drive had been touted to achieve. Was wondering what settings for improving performance (if any) that I could do.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 5.15.21 PM.png

Ive been posting past couple days about how Im only getting half the speed of my Samsung Pro 960, supposed to get 3,500 MB/s read, 2,100 MB/s Write, but Im only getting 1600 Read and 1100 write, cant for the life of me figure out why.
Have you tried updating the firmware of the 960 Pro and/or your motherboard if you haven't already (as this may help)? You will likely have to perform this under Windows (especially the 960 Pro) using Samsung Magician. Also setting the AHCI setting in your BIOS will help with performance.

It's harder for me as there seems to not be any firmwares available for the SN850 to update.

Have you tried updating the firmware of the 960 Pro and/or your motherboard if you haven't already (as this may help)? You will likely have to perform this under Windows (especially the 960 Pro) using Samsung Magician. Also setting the AHCI setting in your BIOS will help with performance.

It's harder for me as there seems to not be any firmwares available for the SN850 to update.
Thanks for suggestions!

I have not tried updating the firmware of the drive, would require installing windows on a drive and probably copying over my data on the M.2 because its is my main boot, MB Bios has not been updated in a while, but have not found anything about my board that would require the bios to be updated, The AHCI is set appropriately and my system info says the m.2 Link width is x4

Maybe check which M2 slots you're using total? The drive is PCI-e 4.0 x4 so it needs all 4 lanes to run its full speed and some slots scavenge off each other or other connections.

Ensure you’re using an 11th gen cpu and that the nvme drive is located in a pcie4 slot usually the top slot. If using 10th gen, that cpu only has pcie3.0 support.

Last edited:
Ive been posting past couple days about how Im only getting half the speed of my Samsung Pro 960, supposed to get 3,500 MB/s read, 2,100 MB/s Write, but Im only getting 1600 Read and 1100 write, cant for the life of me figure out why.
Is your nvme slot running in full x4 mode or in x2 mode? Some motherboards have nvme slots that share bandwidth with other components such as the sata ports or pcie slots. So it can be that under your configuration, only half the pcie lanes are available to your drive.

Is your nvme slot running in full x4 mode or in x2 mode? Some motherboards have nvme slots that share bandwidth with other components such as the sata ports

Above is a good explanation as reported max read speed is half a PCI 3 NVMe slot (approx x2 out of 4)

Check slot/port and BIOS PCI config. Rearranging devices may help.

Also to affirm prev points:

SN850 needs PCI4 x4 to go over 3 GB/s.

SN750 is PCI 3 x4, so never over 3.

Samsung 960 has PCI 3 but flash may not keep up over long haul. That design era was on cusp of full PCI 3 perf when popular

//In our 2MB sequential benchmark, the Samsung 960 Pro recorded some best-of-class results with a blistering 2,222.93MB/s read and 1,786.72MB/s write. The next best drive was the OCZ RD400 m.2 NVMe, which posted 1,934.44MB/s read and 1,475.39MB/s write.//

Pre Intel 11th gen, no PCI 4, so single NVMe capped at 3 GB/s — AMD has offered PCI 4 in some chips for a couple years, but AMD users see same situation because PCI 4 NVMe drives are very recent.

Maybe check which M2 slots you're using total? The drive is PCI-e 4.0 x4 so it needs all 4 lanes to run its full speed and some slots scavenge off each other or other connections.
You're right. I think that's why the transmission speed is low. I recently started writing and running my blog betterwritingservices. There is a lot of useful information for every student who is faced with the problem of writing essays.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. The sintech model without the tray is the one I have had my eye on as it looks like the adapter fits flush with the connector end on the logic board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back