Contribute
Register

iMacPro AsRock X299 e + i9 9940x = MiniMonsterBuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal for the display port on my Gigabyte Vega64 to not work?
No, that isn't normal.

Your display port should work. They do on my system as i have two screens connected by display port.
Do you use lilu and whatevergreen?

No, that isn't normal.

Your display port should work. They do on my system as i have two screens connected by display port.
I do. I think it might be my gpum

No, that isn't normal.

Replacing the gpu fixed my issue.

I'm having trouble getting the bootable usb stick (built using this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...catalina-public-beta-installation-usb.278188/ and followed by an installtion of clover v4961) to be seen by my x299e-itx board. I'm using the usb port above the type-c slot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tried a different drive with the same process and it worked fine. Oh well. Now for config tweaking.....

Last edited:
I'm probably not that helpful but i'll give it a try.
As i've read the standard procedures outlined in your link for more mainstream platforms usually don't work for the X299 platform. Or don't work without further modifications.

I suggest using the usb stick you created but swap out the contents of its EFI folder with the files of my attached EFI folder.
When installing it might happen that on the second stage your usb drive might not be recognised. If so just use another usb port on the backplate of your board.

I will use this older post of mine as reference to explain some things about the EFI folder i attach to this post.
So i will shamelessly use some copy and paste. ;-)

A few things to keep in mind about my EFI folder:
  • it is used for an updated 10.15 (from Mojave). So i am not sure if it will work to actually install Catalina
  • i removed the Serial Number in SMBIOS section in clover - so please fill them in with values to get working iMessage and such
  • You have to adjust the TSCAdjustReset.kext in kexts/others to your 7800X if you want to use this CPU. The one i put in the attached EFI folder is good for your 7980XE. This one is really crucial in getting the system to work!
  • it uses VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC
  • If you are not using an original apple airport card in the WiFi-card-slot, you should remove the "SSDT-X299-ARPT.aml" under CLOVER/ACPI/patched. I assume you would otherwise run in to problems.
  • I removed any GPU related stuff as i don't know which graphics card you are using. Note: NVidia card won't work!
Please try it out. :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.7 MB · Views: 177
@kubusikan Thank you so much! I'm giving this a try right now.

I picked up an RX 580 sapphire nitro+ 4gb today, but I am not sure where I should go to add support. Is there any need for me to add a kext or something?

Everything seems to work fine, but when I'm at the install screen "installing on 'hackintosh'", it tells me about 10-14 minutes is remaining, but at 6 minutes remaining it reboots to clover and cycles back to the same install screen. Am I missing something obvious?

I'll add that clover seems to think the rx580 is a rx480.

Also, I formatted my ssd with GUID partition and APFS.

Should that be an issue?

Cycle:
1 Bios splash
2 Clover splash
3 (Autoselect SSD for os install)
4 Black screen, white logo, moves slowly and evenly through single bar
5 Screen flash white
6 Black screen, white logo, moves very quickly until just before the end
7 Screen flash gray
8 Darker gray background with "installing on 'hackintosh'"
9 Reboot at 6 min remaining (about halfway through)

I tried using the -v for verbose output, but it only worked during step 4, then the loop just proceeded as normal. No reboot on crash, no reboot until 6min left during installation.

Is there a way to get verbose output from the installation process as well??

Last edited:
Ok, I let it run it's course for a while.... it eventually said that it couldn't be installed on my hardware, and I needed to run diagnostics by holding down f12 while booting. I'll probably try that tomorrow.

Everything seems to work fine, but when I'm at the install screen "installing on 'hackintosh'", it tells me about 10-14 minutes is remaining, but at 6 minutes remaining it reboots to clover and cycles back to the same install screen. Am I missing something obvious?
It might be necessary to select the partition to boot after the reboot during install manually.
You should see an additional partition to chose from when installing.
If for example normally you would only see "boot from Macintosh HD" (or something similar) there should be an additional entry like "boot from x install" (or something similar). I can not check the exact naming scheme.

Usually Clover chooses the temporary install partition by itself but during my last update from 10.15 to the complimentary 10.15 it did not do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back