Motherboard
Asus TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WIFI
CPU
i7-14700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just built a Z390 system with an i7-9700k, and due to the current GPU landscape I'm running it IGPU only. My goal is to test OC and a few other things on it before upgrading/switching my other systems.
Does anyone know of a good iMac SMBIOS to use with an IGPU only CoffeeLake system? I was planning to use MacMini8,1, but read in Dortania's OC guide that it wasn't a good idea to use MacMini for desktops?

I had prepared my Clover USB stick with a MacMini8,1 SMBIOS in config.plist, but noticed when upgrading to the latest r5535 that it won't use the config's SMBIOS, but it automatically switches to iMac18,3; not sure if that's a bug or by design. However with the iM18,3 SMBIOS the system runs kind of sluggish; I'm thinking it may be due to not having a DGPU, since most iMacs do. Thus my quest for finding a good SMBIOS for IGPU only as an iMac, if that's even possible...

Currently running Catalina 15.7, but will do a fresh install of Big Sur 11.4 under OpenCore once I can get the system running stable, to eliminate as many variables as possible when performing my tests...

Any suggestions/reports would be appreciated!

I had prepared my Clover USB stick with a MacMini8,1 SMBIOS in config.plist, but noticed when upgrading to the latest r5535 that it won't use the config's SMBIOS, but it automatically switches to iMac18,3; not sure if that's a bug or by design.
If Clover does not detect a valid config.plist then it will make some assumptions about configuration, including the SMBIOS.
The implications are that your config.plist is incomplete for version r5335/missing/corrupt.

zip and attach your /EFI folder.

Yeah, that was my same thought too, so to ensure that I was using the new format and such, I built a fresh EFI folder with all the latest kext, and I grabbed a copy of the included config-sample, and edited it with my working settings, same result. Furthermore, if I switched product name to iMac19,1, iMac18,2 and such, it would take those values with no problems, macMini8,1 seemed to be the only model it didn't switch to. Side note: system info showed my i7-9700k as an i9 under Clover, and I had no spoofing or CPU id replacement or anything of that sort in the config; I wonder if that was why it didn't switch to macMini, since those models don't have an i9?

In any case, since my original goal for this system was to test OC, and I didn't have much time to work on it, I created an OC config and the proper SSDT add-ons, and I have successfully installed Big Sur with OC0.6.9, using iMac19,1 SMBIOS. That seems to have resolved the issues and the system is now working great. I was hesitant to use this SMBIOS since it usually goes with a DGPU, but it seems to be working fine; this is the SMBIOS I use with my other Z390 system, though that 1 does have a DGPU.
Also, now that I'm using OC system info shows the CPU correctly :)

I've already removed the Clover EFI folder I was using on this system, otherwise I'd upload it; when I get some free time again I'll rebuild it and retry, to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong...

I was hesitant to use this SMBIOS since it usually goes with a DGPU, but it seems to be working fine
I'm using ImacPro 1,1 that usually goes with DGPU too. And no problem with my Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi with IGPU only.

@djx8605
I assume you are talking about the i7-9700K Coffee Lake R CPU and not the CPU that appears in your signature.

I have tested 3 SMBIOS that work well on my system that also has Coffee Lake R. The 3 SMBIOS are accompanied by iGPU enabled in BIOS as main GPU + specific code in DeviceProperties:
  • iMac19,1: it is the one that offers the best result, this SMBIOS model works very well with iGPU as a single card and also with dGPU as main card and iGPU for computing help tasks.
  • iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1: they offer a worse result since they are systems that have only dGPUs.

I just built a Z390 system with an i7-9700k, and due to the current GPU landscape I'm running it IGPU only. My goal is to test OC and a few other things on it before upgrading/switching my other systems.
Does anyone know of a good iMac SMBIOS to use with an IGPU only CoffeeLake system? I was planning to use MacMini8,1, but read in Dortania's OC guide that it wasn't a good idea to use MacMini for desktops?

I had prepared my Clover USB stick with a MacMini8,1 SMBIOS in config.plist, but noticed when upgrading to the latest r5535 that it won't use the config's SMBIOS, but it automatically switches to iMac18,3; not sure if that's a bug or by design. However with the iM18,3 SMBIOS the system runs kind of sluggish; I'm thinking it may be due to not having a DGPU, since most iMacs do. Thus my quest for finding a good SMBIOS for IGPU only as an iMac, if that's even possible...

Currently running Catalina 15.7, but will do a fresh install of Big Sur 11.4 under OpenCore once I can get the system running stable, to eliminate as many variables as possible when performing my tests...

Any suggestions/reports would be appreciated!
On High Sierra, iMac18,3 should work fine. You'll need to use 0000983E as the AAPL,ig-platform-id and 983E0000 as device-id. You will need to add in the other framebuffer memory values such as framebuffer-patch-enable, framebuffer-stolenmem, framebuffer-unifiedmem and framebuffer-fbmem if you want to improve system performance. No need for CPU spoofing since you are using proper CFL.

On Mojave/Catalina, use iMac19,1 and for Big Sur iMacPro1,1 or iMac20,1. Clover will not work on Big Sur, period. You must have OC 0.6.9. to do that.

If you plan to use Opencore, I'd suggest working with a transitional build on Mojave/Catalina first using OC 0.6.5. then gradually upgrade the EFI until you get to 0.6.9. as things get tricky once you start reaching Big Sur 11.3 because some things will break depending what settings you're using including USBInjectAll. You will need to prepare a custom USBPorts.kext beforehand if you plan to use Big Sur 11.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back