Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear @KGP-iMacPro Thank you very much for all your hard work and sharing with the community in regards of Thunderbolt connectivity solutions. Would you be so kind to help me and probably other people with slightly another, yet similar configuration of Titan Ridge implementation? I'm really seeing you as an expert and as someone who've achieved a significant progress in this field.

The only difference from regular Titan Ridge add-in card, that you've successfully managed to work, is that on newer Z390 Designare motherboards the chip is already integrated into it. The motherboard have the same two Thunderbolt 3.0 ports and DP Input port on it.

I'm wondering if it is possible at all to make Apple Thunderbolt Display to work and properly communicate with on-board Titan Ridge controller of new Gigabyte Z390 Designare?

I'm having really hard time to connect Apple Thunderbolt display to my new system. I'm using an SSDT files (SSDT-DTPG.aml and SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V3.aml) for Titan Ridge controller which are both based on your solutions and controller itself gets properly recognized in macOS (both NHI and XHC5), but when I plug Apple Thunderbolt display to any of those two motherboard's Thunderbolt ports – nothing happens. IORegistry show no changes in the device's tree, and display stays black and doesn't turn on at all.

I'd very appreciate if you could point me to the right direction: where should I be looking at? Btw, I also have a Macbook Pro 2012 and Apple Thunderbolt display works perfectly with it. Just thought, that it may help in case of some info/ioreg extraction in order to track something important that I'm currently missing. Thank you in advance. P.S.: Sorry for initially posting this on both forums in your threads.

You should take and adapt the actual TB SSDT from the respective Github repository. Verify by both IOREG and „PCI“ section of Apple’s system report that it is properly implemented during boot.

If you remain with issues we can discuss everything early next year.

During x-mas holdidays I will be mostly unavailable.

Just out of curiosity i unchecked "PluginType" under Generate Options in clover Configurator.
(I am doing a bit of housekeeping on my System and fiddle around with the settings.)

I observed that the CPU now clocks down to as low as 1.08GHz (maybe 1GHz is the floor) instead of 1.2GHz with this option checked.
Performance in benchmarks is +- a few digits the same as before. Max frequencies seem to be the same as is the graph in Intel Power Gadget.

As these two command are outlined in the guide i checked their output:
sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count results in "0" instead of "1". Kind of expected.
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu results in no output.

My CPU-Type is set to "0x0F01" and is shown as "Intel Xeon W"

What should i make of this observation?
Are there any drawbacks or benefits of unchecking "PluginType" other than a slight and negligible reduction in idle frequencies?

Yes your links are ways to investigate but , in the past few days, I have done several searches and tried OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi, OsxAptioFix2000Drv-64.efi , compiled with Xcode AptioMemoryFix but no success. I used severals versions of Clover include kgp distributions and Rehabman repository.

Not sure entirely what the issue you are facing is, but just wanted to throw out a basic thing here, have you reset CMOS?

When I see you’re having problems with AptioMemoryFix it makes me think you might need to reset cmos and manually reconfigure bios.

Not sure entirely what the issue you are facing is, but just wanted to throw out a basic thing here, have you reset CMOS?

When I see you’re having problems with AptioMemoryFix it makes me think you might need to reset cmos and manually reconfigure bios.

Yes I did try four different bios versions : 11,6 , 11,11 11,15 and 11,17 re-setting CMOS always, did also try to patch the bios with latest @interferenc X299 MSR bios patches, no luck...
Really the first system version I have here on which I can not install Mojave (even for fun with my Celeron G1840, I managed the successful installation.)

in progress :

Today, I dismounted the EVGA mobo (with some regrets: VRM cooling is very powerful) and I took delivery of a Msi X299 Gaming PRO Carbon AC : I'm about to complete the assembly on my case...:beachball:

Last edited:
So after some adjustments i was able to boot on Mojave and tomorrow I will manage a fresh installation.
This motherboard seems to be fully compatible, the bios offers many settings and I am reassured in the perspective of the new year.

Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
So after some adjustments i was able to boot on Mojave and tomorrow I will manage a fresh installation.
This motherboard seems to be fully compatible, the bios offers many settings and I am reassured in the perspective of the new year.

Congratulations on getting things to work. Enjoy tinkering with the new mobo, it is just a shame EVGA doesn't follow along with other manufacturers and allow better compatibility. They do make good stuff, but that doesn't matter if it is not compatible. Keep us apprised on how your system develops.

Just out of curiosity i unchecked "PluginType" under Generate Options in clover Configurator.
(I am doing a bit of housekeeping on my System and fiddle around with the settings.)

I observed that the CPU now clocks down to as low as 1.08GHz (maybe 1GHz is the floor) instead of 1.2GHz with this option checked.
Performance in benchmarks is +- a few digits the same as before. Max frequencies seem to be the same as is the graph in Intel Power Gadget.

As these two command are outlined in the guide i checked their output:
sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count results in "0" instead of "1". Kind of expected.
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu results in no output.

My CPU-Type is set to "0x0F01" and is shown as "Intel Xeon W"

What should i make of this observation?
Are there any drawbacks or benefits of unchecking "PluginType" other than a slight and negligible reduction in idle frequencies?

All this is discussed within the early posts along my 10.13 X299 thread and in section E.1 of my guide. Like the real iMac Pro, also our Skylake-X systems are using both HWP and xcpm. If you disable PluginType in your config.plist, you disable xcpm, unless you use Pike‘s ssdt.aml, which else is obsolete. BTW.. I am not talking about the additional „Plugin Type 1“ option in Clover configurator, which is obsolete. The important thing for xcpm is to check „plugintype“ in Clover configurator, as implemented in my EFI-Folder distribution.

Good luck,

KGP

Congratulations on getting things to work. Enjoy tinkering with the new mobo, it is just a shame EVGA doesn't follow along with other manufacturers and allow better compatibility. They do make good stuff, but that doesn't matter if it is not compatible. Keep us apprised on how your system develops.

Yes but unfortunately, the EVGA does not have the required compatibility, the quality of the product itself was rather good, but the manufacturing quality of the Msi mobo is solid: for example the PCI and memory brackets are all made of reinforced metal.

Last edited:
All this is discussed within the early posts along my 10.13 X299 thread and in section E.1 of my guide. Like the real iMac Pro, also our Skylake-X systems are using both HWP and xcpm.
Thanks for clarification kpg!
I will read through these early posts in your guide and also reenable "plugintype" as i it worked since the beginning.

Have a some nice holidays! :)

Reactions: kgp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back