Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I must now start Mojave installation on my other Samsung 970 EVO NVMe or perhaps I will try a way to clone my actual Mojave SSD :beachball:
Carbon copy cloner works like a charm. I use it all the time to clone drives ( before /after osx upgrades, between and NVMe and SSD ) as long as your EFI is in the sub partition you are all good.

Carbon copy cloner works like a charm. I use it all the time to clone drives ( before /after osx upgrades, between and NVMe and SSD ) as long as your EFI is in the sub partition you are all good.

Sub partition?

I mean usually one would format the clone drive with APFS or HFS+ and a GUID partition table at first place, depending if the system disk to be cloned is APFS or HFS+.

After cloning the system disk to the properly formatted clone drive by means of CCC, one would finally also copy the appropriate EFI-Folder to the EFI-partition of the clone drive to make it bootable and that's it.

In any case I would rather recommend a clean install of Mojave, than any update from 10.13.6.

My SSD is with APFS and Mojave 10.4.2 but for the moment i have some thermal throttling issues with my first 970 EVO NVMe pluged on vertical M2_2 slot :crazy: so i will considere your advice solutions for cooling NVMe ...

My problems were just after installing the Thunderbolt driver and booting under Windows after i adjusted the bios settings and now the are gone but not defintively i think.

Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
My SSD is with APFS and Mojave 10.4.2 but for the moment i have some thermal throttling issues with my first 970 EVO NVMe pluged on vertical M2_2 slot :crazy: so i will considere your advice solutions for cooling NVMe ...

I hope it is just thermal throttling und not the same performance difference between the EVO 970 and EVO 970 Pro like also observed between the EVO 960 and EVO 960 Pro.

Let’s see!

I hope it is just thermal throttling und not the same performance difference between the EVO 970 and EVO 970 Pro like also observed between the EVO 960 and EVO 960 Pro.

Let’s see!

Yes you may be right so I will perform my Mojave installation but I will order a NVMe from another brand to try if there is any difference.

One thing that I can say in return from experience :
I have two Vega 56 Msi Air Boost :
- one is water-cooled with Alphacool GPX fullsize : this one is the master primary used for booting.
- the second is stock air cooled : I have no fan issue since the 10.14.2 update like I had before under High Sierra or Mojave 10.14.1

My water cooling system is :
- one radiator Alphacool NexXxos xflow XT60 240 mm
- one radiator NexXos xflow XT45 240 mm
- CPU XP3 water block
- Pump Alphacool VPP655 PWM
- Station baie dual 5,25"
- two Noctua fans NFP 14 PWM
- two Noctua fans NF A12x25 PWM
- two Noctua fans NFF 12 PWM
- GPU Alphacool GPX-A Vega M01

Last edited:
Sub partition?

I mean usually one would format the clone drive with APFS or HFS+ and a GUID partition table at first place, depending if the system disk to be cloned is APFS or HFS+.

After cloning the system disk to the properly formatted clone drive by means of CCC, one would finally also copy the appropriate EFI-Folder to the EFI-partition of the clone drive to make it bootable and that's it.

In any case I would rather recommend a clean install of Mojave, than any update from 10.13.6.
That's exactly what I meant. English language does not come to me as fast as I wish...Thanks for the exact & extended translation :lol:. Copying the EFI folder to the formatted drive EFI partition before cloning it with CCC works as well.

Last edited:
@kgp

I need some advice :

I 'm about to upgrade my Prime x299 Deluxe build with two 970 EVO NVMe M.2 :

In which M.2 Socket do you recommend installing MacOs in M.2_1 and Windows in M.2_2 installation ?
That's exactly what I meant. English language do not come to me as fast as I wish...Thanks for the exact & extended translation :lol:. Copying the EFI folder to the formatted drive EFI partition before cloning it with CCC works as well.
Yes i will try this morning: it's time to go to bed in a moment: it snows a lot here: about 50 cm this night ...

Last edited:
Yes you may be right so I will perform my Mojave installation but I will order a NVMe from another brand to try if there is any difference.

It would be better to directly compare the EVO 970 with the EVO 970 Pro. Could you do that? I guess you would stay with the EVO 970 pro finally, but let's see.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back