RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi folks,

As I said on title, my dear iMac Mid-2010 27" is dead! RIP.
Replace logical board is very expensive and hard to find a new one.

I'm evaluating to adapt a mini-PC regular board with Ryzen 5 (https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005005048219442.html)
For connect the imac display to hdmi port, I must use this board? https://www.ebay.com/itm/314020418352

What do you think about this idea? TIA
Are you sure you can reuse the iMac display (even if it is still working, with a PC no less)?

I am not certain if you can really do that.

And what do you want to use that PC for? Run Windows 11 as originally intended? Or to run MacOS?

The native resolution of the 2010 iMac 27" is only 2560x1440. You need a driver board that is compatible with an

LM270WQ1-SCD2 <--like this one.​

Are you sure you can reuse the iMac display (even if it is still working, with a PC no less)?

I am not certain if you can really do that.

And what do you want to use that PC for? Run Windows 11 as originally intended? Or to run MacOS?
Yes, it possible to replace all hardware inside iMac for a regular Intel/AMD motherboard.
I want to install MacOS on that (hackintosh)

The native resolution of the 2010 iMac 27" is only 2560x1440. You need a driver board that is compatible with an

LM270WQ1-SCD2 <--like this one.​

Thanks. I found: https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005004103777513.html

Yes, it possible to replace all hardware inside iMac for a regular Intel/AMD motherboard.
I want to install MacOS on that (hackintosh)
I see. Something new to know for me.

The PC you are pointing at uses a Ryzen 9 5980HX CPU, whose CPU integrated graphics is not supported on MacOS as Apple never used them in any Macs.

So I would say even if you manage to install MacOS on that machine (a big IF), the graphics performance will be undesirable enough that the OS may not even work properly.

If you want to use a machine in a similar small configuration to run MacOS with graphics acceleration, you need to find one using an Intel 10th generation CPU whose CPU integrated graphics is supported on MacOS.

I see. Something new to know for me.

The PC you are pointing at uses a Ryzen 9 5980HX CPU, whose CPU integrated graphics is not supported on MacOS as Apple never used them in any Macs.

So I would say even if you manage to install MacOS on that machine (a big IF), the graphics performance will be undesirable enough that the OS may not even work properly.

If you want to use a machine in a similar small configuration to run MacOS with graphics acceleration, you need to find one using an Intel 10th generation CPU whose CPU integrated graphics is supported on MacOS.

Good point. This post is for this: exchange tips and experiences.
Ryzen 5 5600 and Vega GPU are not compatible with MacOS?
Other option is a micro-atx or mini-itx board with regular Intel/AMD cpu, but it's mandatory slim cooler.

Others challenges:
- Power supply: It can placed outside imac or user a AC Adapter
- External ports (USB, network, etc) will be empty: It can adapt extension cables

Good point. This post is for this: exchange tips and experiences.
Ryzen 5 5600 and Vega GPU are not compatible with MacOS?
Other option is a micro-atx or mini-itx board with regular Intel/AMD cpu, but it's mandatory slim cooler.

Others challenges:
- Power supply: It can placed outside imac or user a AC Adapter
- External ports (USB, network, etc) will be empty: It can adapt extension cables

Hi there.

Yes, you might have no room for a modern cooler. Some people have cut a hole in the back of the case for a watercooler. Not sure what headroom you have.

Maybe go for one of the very low wattage "T" line CPUs.

Our friend @craighazan has done a lot of conversions. He may be able to help.

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back