Contribute
Register

IGPU shows 7Gb of VRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you see the IGPU in System Information?

IGPU is not shown on system information when PlatformID is defined (tested 0x3E9B0007 and 0x3E980003) or not defined (automatic 3E910003). Only AMD Radeon VII is shown.

Please note I'm using Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57).

IGPU is not shown on system information when PlatformID is defined (tested 0x3E9B0007 and 0x3E980003) or not defined (automatic 3E910003). Only AMD Radeon VII is shown.

Please note I'm using Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57).

Not shown in System Information is correct.

Out of curiosity I decided to disable AMD Radeon and to use Intel only This 7GB is bug of HWMonitorSMC2, which I have suggested earlier.

Intel UHD Graphics 630:

Chipset Model: Intel UHD Graphics 630
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x3e98
Revision ID: 0x0002
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

HWMonitorSMC2-bug.jpg

Seems that this 7GB is 100% bug as it occurs on other comps too:

@iLikeHackintosh,

Ok, well that explains why we've never seen it before ... LOL, I did say it seemed very strange, panic over ....
I'll pass the finding onto the dev team as a bug.

Thanks for confirming ....

With regards to your questions about the Headless IGPU see notes 3 and 4 in the guide :-

Lilu + Plug-in's Gude said:
Note-3: When using a headless PlatformID the IGPU should NOT show up in System Information -> Hardware -> Graphics/Displays even though it is enabled in your BIOS, this is normal and is one way of confirming that the headless IGPU mode is activated.

Note-4: When using a headless PlatformID it is normal for the IGPU frequency trace in Intel Power Gadget to remain locked at the max IGPU frequency. Headless IGPU's only work on desktop systems so there is no need for MacOs to throttle it, only mobile based Mac's such as MacBook Pro's throttle the IGPU to help conserve battery power.

Also check the Device Property "model" <STRING> value is prefixed with "Intel" .. see here for more info :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Ok, well that explains why we've never seen it before ... LOL, I did say it seemed very strange, panic over ....
I'll pass the finding onto the dev team as a bug.

Thanks for confirming ....

Seems that bug is not in HWMonitorSMC2 app, but somewehere else.

Attachments

• vram-value-bug.jpg
    vram-value-bug.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 54
Seems that bug is not in HWMonitorSMC2 app, but somewehere else.

@iLikeHackintosh,

Hummm, that is odd ... I have no idea why it happening, like i said before its a new one for me.

Can you post a copy of your IOREG for me to have a look at ... please make sure to use IORegistryExplorer version 2.1 which you can download from this guide if you have a different version :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@iLikeHackintosh,

I just did some tests on my desktop system and found that HWMonitorSMC2 works ok with VirtualSMC, at least it does on my system, you could try switching back to VirtualSMC, dont forget to change the efi driver back and delete all the FakeSMC sensor kexts.

This is how HWMonitorSMC2 looks on my system with VirtualSMC :-

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 17.04.52.png
As you can see both GPU's (Vega 64 + Headless IGPU) are reported correctly.

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back