Contribute
Register

IGPU shows 7Gb of VRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gigamaxx,

I don't think MacOs actually uses that BIOS setting, the MacOS kernel allocates system memory directly to the framebuffer kext. I think that BIOS setting only has an effect on Windows and Linux which need pre-allocated memory to use as VRAM for the IGPU.

At least that what i've found in all the testing i did a few years ago when i was doing research for the guides. On all the Hackintosh systems i've ever tested it on, it does not matter what you set that to MacOS does its own thing. Same is true for all genuine Mac's i've ever used ... (which is a lot).

However I have not tested it on a Coffee Lake Hackintosh system as i don't have one, so its possible that something strange is going on. The screen shot in post 502 is the first and only time iv'e ever seen or heard of MacOs reporting more than 2GB of VRAM for the IGPU.

Cheers
Jay

In my experience, on desktops, setting DVMT-Prealloc in BIOS for headless IGPU doesn't make any difference.

I never tested enough on only IGPU (as in no dGPU) to know if DVMT-Prealloc BIOS setting makes much or any difference.

On my Broadwell laptop, DVMT-Prealloc setting is extremely important. In Mojave, when not enough RAM is allocated to IGPU, I can't boot in to macOS. It's only after I changed the hidden DVMT-Prealloc setting by booting in to Grub shell that I am able to boot in to Mojave.

In High Sierra, I was able to make this setting in config.plist > Devices > Properties to set DVMT-Prealloc but it stopped working with Mojave.

In Sierra, I was able to use Rehabman's KextsToPatch, but that broke with High Sierra.

@pastrychef, @Gigamaxx & @jaymonkey, thank you all for your thoughts.

This is really interesting why it shows 7GB of memory on Intel IGPU.

I attached screenshot of IOREG.

. 191214-0001.jpg

Changing BIOS settings doesn't affect IGPU memory size at all, it stays 7GB.

I had setting
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 512M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem: MAX
  • Aperture Size: 256M
Changed to:

• DVMT Pre-Allocated: 32M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem: 128M
  • Aperture Size: 128M
macOS crashes at boot, panic.

Changed to:
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 256M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem: 256M
Boots up, but still 7GB IGPU memory..

Changed to:
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M
Boots up slowly, but IGPU disappears, not available anymore

Changed to:
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 1024M
  • Aperture Size: 2048M

Changed to:
  • Aperture Size: 102488M

Wiil try Ubuntu live USB soon.

Edit: As I mentioned above, this is Z390 Designare + Intel Core i9-9900K + Radeon VII comp.

Last edited:
@pastrychef, @Gigamaxx & @jaymonkey, thank you all for your thoughts.

This is really interesting why it shows 7GB of memory on Intel IGPU.

I attached screenshot of IOREG..View attachment 440379

Changing BIOS settings doesn't affect IGPU memory size at all, it stays 7GB.

I had setting
Changed to:

• DVMT Pre-Allocated: 32M

Changed to:
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 256M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem: 256M

Changed to:
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M
Boots up slowly, but IGPU disappears, not available anymore

Changed to:
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 1024M
  • Aperture Size: 2048M

Changed to:
  • Aperture Size: 102488M

Wiil try Ubuntu live USB soon.

Your IORegistryExplorer shows that you are using the wrong ig-platform-id for Z170. Skylake should be 19120000.

Please try DVMT-Prealloc = 64MB.

Also, what do you mean "Boots up slowly, but IGPU disappears, not available anymore"?

Last edited:
@iLikeHackintosh,

Thanks for doing those tests and reporting your findings ......
I think we all agree that it's very strange your IGPU is showing 7GB VRAM available, its a first as far as I know.

The only BIOS setting that can impact a working IGPU in MacOS is the DVMT-Pre-Allocated setting. MacOS expects it to be at least 64MB but depending on the CPU generation it will generally work better if set to more such as 128MB or 256MB.

Are you using the 2048MB IGPU VRAM patch in your config.plist ?
If so check the value defined for it, I'm just wondering if there is a mistake there which is causing the 7GB ...

Running Windows or Linux wont really tell us anything as MacOS handles the IGPU differently to those OS's.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@iLikeHackintosh,

You are using PlatfromID 0x3E9B0007 which is a 9th Gen non-Headless PlatfromID, you should be using a Headless PlatfromID.

See the Lilu + WEG guide for the 9th gen Headless ones :-

Recommend headless PlatfromID for UHD 630 IGPU is 0x3E980003

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Your IORegistryExplorer shows that you are using the wrong ig-platform-id for Z170. Skylake should be 19120000.

Please try DVMT-Prealloc = 64MB.

Also, what do you mean "Boots up slowly, but IGPU disappears, not available anymore"?

Thx @pastrychef, I will update comp info in my post, but this is not listed on my profile, as I'm building it at the moment. This comp is Z390 Designare + Intel Core i9-9900K + Radeon VII.

Thx @pastrychef, I will update comp info in my post, but this is not listed on my profile, as I'm building it at the moment. This comp is Z390 Designare + Intel Core i9-9900K + Radeon VII.

Ah...

Assuming that you are installing Mojave or Catalina, you can leave that that stuff out of your config.plist and just let macOS detect your IGPU. I have found this to be much better than manually entering all that stuff.

Are you using the 2048MB IGPU VRAM patch in your config.plist ?
If so check the value defined for it, I'm just wondering if there is a mistake there which is causing the 7GB ...

I'm not using 2048MB IGPU VRAM patch.

@iLikeHackintosh,

Can you please confirm the specs of the system we are trying to resolve ..

I thought you had a Radeon VII but your hardware profile shows no such GPU.
Is this issue on the Z170 system or is it really a Z390 system ?

Please update your hardware profile if this is the case, otherwise we are all second guessing ...

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back