Contribute
Register

i9-9900k - Asus Prime z390-a, Rx580 8gb, Mojave 10.14.2 - a Desperate’s Man diary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that's exactly pastrychef. I just don't have experience with manual overclocking. I set cpu core/cache voltage to 1.4v and I had a freeze again. Now I set it back to 1.35v and set dram to 1.4v. Cpu cooler in bios also gives 192pts with Kraken X62. I will test these days and report back again. At least my system was stable with dram frequency at auto which provided low results in benchmarks.

if you have your overclock set to 5.0GHz for all cores, you can try 4.9 to see if system is stable.

When you set your RAM settings to auto, your ram is probably running at around 2400MHz.

It doesn't matter if I overclock my system or not. I had freezes with and without overclocking. It's related purely to my ram modules and how they perform with this specific motherboard. The strange in everything I have tested so far is that into windows I never had any issues or bsods... that's something I cannot understand.

It doesn't matter if I overclock my system or not. I had freezes with and without overclocking. It's related purely to my ram modules and how they perform with this specific motherboard. The strange in everything I have tested so far is that into windows I never had any issues or bsods... that's something I cannot understand.

Well, if it's only happening in macOS, I would have to assume it's a Clover and/or Clover configuration issue.

I tried 2nd installation with custom usb this time (not unibeast) on a 2nd ssd (840 evo) and on another sata port ofc. Also tried different clover configurations. There is magic here, I can sense it! (humor). Maybe I was lucky with windows and didn't happen when I was using them... who knows.. so many parameters and tests to perform... I feel like Alice in Wonderland lol... at the end I think I will change motherboard and ram to be sure.. and hopefully new issues will arise again lol. This is my 4th hackintosh build since 2013 and to tell the truth all these years every system was working w/o serious issues except usb, sleep/wake issues. Now it was time to get into real trouble and start digging! No matter what I put overclok off and set the dram frequency to auto until I find another way. Funny thing is that I chose this mobo cause of tb3 support and was planning to buy the optional thundrbolt controller to use it with a drobo3 so I can do my video editing work with reliability and speed.

Last edited:
I tried 2nd installation with custom usb this time (not unibeast) on a 2nd ssd (840 evo) and on another sata port ofc. Also tried different clover configurations. There is magic here, I can sense it! (humor). Maybe I was lucky with windows and didn't happen when I was using them... who knows.. so many parameters and tests to perform... I feel like Alice in Wonderland lol... at the end I think I will change motherboard and ram to be sure.. and hopefully new issues will arise again lol. This is my 4th hackintosh build since 2013 and to tell the truth all these years every system was working w/o serious issues except usb, sleep/wake issues. Now it was time to get into real trouble and start digging! No matter what I put overclok off and set the dram frequency to auto until I find another way. Funny thing is that I chose this mobo cause of tb3 support and was planning to buy the optional thundrbolt controller to use it with a drobo3 so I can do my video editing work with reliability and speed.

I don't know how fast the Thunderbolt Drobos are. I know that getting Thunderbolt to work well on a hack can be a bit challenging. I've never invested in any Thunderbolt accessories so Thunderbolt is not a concern for me.

For large, fast storage, I use a 10GBase-T connected NAS. I can get approx 800MB/s reads and 300MB/s writes with a bunch of admittedly very slow SHR hard drives. If I need anything faster, I use internal SSDs. As far as I know, getting 10GbE working correctly on a hack is much easier than Thunderbolt.

hmm I never thought about that. I have a wd mycloud ex2 ultra (2x3tb wd reds) for personal data but the speeds that you get are very low.Only for backup they make sense. A drobo 5d3 based on reviews can provide 350 write and 600 read speeds. So a 10GBase-T connected NAS is a better choice as it seems. I haven't done a research about the cost though but I will check it for sure. Thx for the info pastrychef! :)

I sold my z390-A and I bought Maximus XI Hero. Ram at 3200 still gives freezes. While in XMP I voltage jumps to 1.5V!!! and stays there until I underclock my ram to 2800! Between 2133 and 2400 it stays stable at 1.2V. Very unstable memory modules... I haven't face anything like that again. Though I don't regret my choice of XI hero. After I do more research about stability and ram speed, I may change ram also with modules which will have samsung b-dies. As Im reading they seem to be the most stable chips for overlocking. Now Im in the process to make a new SSDT for the new mobo and Im trying to find information about 2 patches and if they are needed for my build, "change _OSI to XOSI" and "change EC0 to EC". I can't find what they are actually doing and if I must have them in Dsdt patches section.

Last edited:
I've actually got the same Thunderbolt EX3 card in my build too, but I'vent had the time to try to make it work yet. I've only got an external LaCie raid backup drive that would benefit from the tb speeds, but that works on usb too. Which guide did you use to get it to work?

I'm really clueless regarding all this iGPU stuff. How do I know if it's working or not? And why would I need it if I already have the nvidia 1080 working? I attached my hardware info from VideoProc. It says hardware acceleration isn't working, but it sure feels like it's working to me.

I also tried the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 driver once which didn't work for me though, got the stop sign. But I googled and downloaded it from a random website, maybe it was faulty somehow. I'll try yours as well if there's ever any trouble. My build has been very stable so far though.

How do you mean I should implement the USB's and AppleBusPowerController? Which patch am I using? All USB ports seem to be working for me. Sorry I confess I'm a total noob :D

Thanks again for the help!

Hi pli, I am glad it was a good starting point for you!
I can see that you have already implemented Emulated NVRAM (EmuVariableUefi-64.efi) It means Non Volatile Random Access Memory, it stores information like OS parameters, volume, brightness (laptops) amongst many other things for the next boot up. Your emulated nvram.plist is in your EFI partition (As you don't have native/hardware NVRAM supported by macOS).

I also have been testing, tweaking, adding/changing hardware and discovering new things. When i added the thunderbolt ex3 card i had the same issues as you mentioned about not booting every time. OsxAptioFixDrv-64 fixed it and everything was really smooth UNTIL... I tried to enabled IGPU (headless mode for Mojave) and then things went bad and had to boot from a backup and reinstall clover bootloader.
The fix for me was OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and slide=0 in clover boot options. Thank you to @CaseySJ thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-ongoing-status-of-designare-z390-with-i7-9700k.266065/ and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nare-z390-thunderbolt-3-with-i7-9700k.267551/
Even though its a Gigabyte motherboard, its still a Z390 chipset, so some things will apply to us also.
You will probably be fine on High Sierra though and won't need IGPU at all, but OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and slide=0 might be something to test, especially if you add more PCIE devices. Works a treat for me!

You should also implement your USB's and AppleBusPowerController as you are still using the patch. It's really easy once you have done it once and it makes such a positive impact on system stability ;)

I will upload my latest clover folder when i get back to the studio and i will include a SSDT-UIAC.dsl template for you to edit.

Attachments

• Hardware Info [1].png
    Hardware Info [1].png
    95.2 KB · Views: 90
I've actually got the same Thunderbolt EX3 card in my build too, but I'vent had the time to try to make it work yet. I've only got an external LaCie raid backup drive that would benefit from the tb speeds, but that works on usb too. Which guide did you use to get it to work?

I'm really clueless regarding all this iGPU stuff. How do I know if it's working or not? And why would I need it if I already have the nvidia 1080 working? I attached my hardware info from VideoProc. It says hardware acceleration isn't working, but it sure feels like it's working to me.

I also tried the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 driver once which didn't work for me though, got the stop sign. But I googled and downloaded it from a random website, maybe it was faulty somehow. I'll try yours as well if there's ever any trouble. My build has been very stable so far though.

How do you mean I should implement the USB's and AppleBusPowerController? Which patch am I using? All USB ports seem to be working for me. Sorry I confess I'm a total noob :D

Thanks again for the help!

I have the same MB-CPU-TB and i had to instal Win10 to get the ThunderboltEX 3 in some sort of "working" mode on OSX, have even got the HOTPLUG to work somehow. The TB Ethernet adapter from Apple is working fine, gets recognised in system report under network, the sound card Antelope Orion Studio is not working yet, not recognised in system report but i can see it under IORegistryExplorer, so there is
still hope to make it work someday...

If someone get the ThunderboltEX 3 working in a proper way let us know :=)

A friend of mine gave me his gtx 1050 to test it with my system. I did a fresh install of High Sierra 10.13.6 and using last couple days this configuration to check if I have any freezes again. I don't have any till now but I need more time to test to be sure. In my opinion Im pretty sure that freezes were related to rx580 nitro+ and I found many posts in the forum from other ppl have similar random freezes with their rx580s! I can't confirm though from these rx580 owners which brand do they use cause most of them don't mention the brand. So now Im in dilemma... if I confirm that my nitro+ was the issue to my problem then what?? Shall I go and buy the Pulse edition? Its the best option but is it going to work ok with my system? Last but not least i need your opinion guys, rx580 or rx vega 56 for better hardware compatibility and less issues? ofc Im talking about Pulse editions...

UPDATE: So I bought Rx580 8Gb Pulse edition and already had 2 freezes! Conclusion: my system hates AMD GPUs!!
With nvidia not a problem at all. I don't know what to do anymore...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back