Contribute
Register

i9-9900k - Asus Prime z390-a, Rx580 8gb, Mojave 10.14.2 - a Desperate’s Man diary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I have the same motherboard + cpu and have managed to get everything working really great! Sleep/Wake and respectable boot times on apfs etc.
I followed rehabman's guides on creating SSDT for USBInjectAll (read very carefully the part about injecting in groups with -uia_exclude flag), USB Power Property Injection (Read about Fake EC and USBX).

I have attached my EFI/Clover Folder for you to look at, (in the config.plist I have already created a new serial in the SMBIOS and checked coverage before uploading)
FYI
I install all kexts via terminal to /Library/Extensions and put a copy in the EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other. I set Inject Kexts to "Detect" So you can find all the kexts that i have used for this Motherboard in there.
I hope this is of some help!

I'm on the same boat guys.

I actually used your config.plist as a starting point buddhaburger and it's been pretty much solid so thanks! The only problem I have is that randomly about 25% of the times I start up the computer it displays a stop sign and I have to press restart. And then it boots fine again. Other than that it's quite perfect. All USB ports work etc. Any ideas why that would happen? This is my first ever hack, so I'm not really an expert.

I only the copied config.plist and the USB kext's from your EFI, didn't use the rest. I've a NVIDIA gpu so I changed those settings in Clover, plus I created my own serial in SMBIOS. I'm on High Sierra btw, don't need or want Mojave. Here's my BIOS Settings too, they're slightly different from yours, but even when I tried the same ones I got the occasional stop sign. Should I fiddle around with the aptio drivers or something? Right now I've the AptioMemoryFix-64 installed like you had.

Edit: I think I fixed it. Got 10+ restarts in a row without the stop sign, which has never happened. I tried all the aptio drivers and all of them gave me the sign, except for the OsxAptioFixDrv-64 which is working great. I read that it's the oldest of them all though and doesn't support NVRAM or something? I'vent noticed a difference, can I check if my NVRAM is working somehow or what does it even do?

Attachments

• pli Asus Z390-A Clover.zip
    22 MB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I tried all the aptio drivers and all of them gave me the sign, except for the OsxAptioFixDrv-64 which is working great. I read that it's the oldest of them all though and doesn't support NVRAM or something? I'vent noticed a difference, can I check if my NVRAM is working somehow or what does it even do?

Hi pli, I am glad it was a good starting point for you!
I can see that you have already implemented Emulated NVRAM (EmuVariableUefi-64.efi) It means Non Volatile Random Access Memory, it stores information like OS parameters, volume, brightness (laptops) amongst many other things for the next boot up. Your emulated nvram.plist is in your EFI partition (As you don't have native/hardware NVRAM supported by macOS).

I also have been testing, tweaking, adding/changing hardware and discovering new things. When i added the thunderbolt ex3 card i had the same issues as you mentioned about not booting every time. OsxAptioFixDrv-64 fixed it and everything was really smooth UNTIL... I tried to enabled IGPU (headless mode for Mojave) and then things went bad and had to boot from a backup and reinstall clover bootloader.
The fix for me was OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and slide=0 in clover boot options. Thank you to @CaseySJ thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-ongoing-status-of-designare-z390-with-i7-9700k.266065/ and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nare-z390-thunderbolt-3-with-i7-9700k.267551/
Even though its a Gigabyte motherboard, its still a Z390 chipset, so some things will apply to us also.
You will probably be fine on High Sierra though and won't need IGPU at all, but OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and slide=0 might be something to test, especially if you add more PCIE devices. Works a treat for me!

You should also implement your USB's and AppleBusPowerController as you are still using the patch. It's really easy once you have done it once and it makes such a positive impact on system stability ;)

I will upload my latest clover folder when i get back to the studio and i will include a SSDT-UIAC.dsl template for you to edit.

I disabled xmp at all. System is running almost 5 days, many hours per day and I didn't have any freezes at all. I think my issue was related to my xmp settings. Propably my ram modules for some reason they have some compatibility issues at macos. Still using your clover build you sent me before buddgaburger. System is recognizing ram at 3200 but geekbench gives lower score than it was with xmp settings. Its not a big difference though... the only thing that matters most is the system stability. What do you guys suggest better for "hardware encoding supported", rx580 or enabling igpu? I haven't found still any settings about how to enable acceleration with only rx580 but I remember at High Sierra it was working with igpu disabled. I don't remember how though... :D

I disabled xmp at all. System is running almost 5 days, many hours per day and I didn't have any freezes at all. I think my issue was related to my xmp settings. Propably my ram modules for some reason they have some compatibility issues at macos. Still using your clover build you sent me before buddgaburger. System is recognizing ram at 3200 but geekbench gives lower score than it was with xmp settings. Its not a big difference though... the only thing that matters most is the system stability. What do you guys suggest better for "hardware encoding supported", rx580 or enabling igpu? I haven't found still any settings about how to enable acceleration with only rx580 but I remember at High Sierra it was working with igpu disabled. I don't remember how though... :D

Awesome to hear about the stability!
Did you inspect and re-seat your ram modules? it is possible that the connection might not be in 100% or there is some debris in the socket? stranger things have happened :)
I tried to get the IGPU up and running but haven't had enough time to read and thoroughly understand how to enable it properly. I do plan to get in to it over the Christmas break at some point. NoVPAJpeg.kext in /Library/Extensions has been getting me through just fine but my system is mainly for Audio (Pro Tools and UAD). I was going to put one of my old NVIDIA cards in but i managed to pickup a 2nd hand MSI RX 560 for $60, it has been great, plug and play, multiple screens and CS:GO is still playable so I think your RX 580 will be just fine.

If you do try and get the IGPU Working, be very careful, read as much as possible and clone your drive + EFI before starting to avoid ruining Christmas!

I have attached my updated EFI (Serials cleared) and current kexts i am using. My system is very stable and i have been pushing it as far as i can.

Attachments

• Kexts - ASUS z390-A.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 219
  • ASUS Z370-A - V2.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 177

I was also having difficulty getting stability using the XMP profile of my RAM. I ended up following this guide almost exactly and everything is now stable. The only variations I made from the guide were CPU voltage and LLC setting. The guide was originally for i7-8700K, but it's working great with my i9-9900K. My temps top out at exactly 80C when running Prime95. I'm on air cooling with a delidded 9900K@5GHz.

I was also having difficulty getting stability using the XMP profile of my RAM. I ended up following this guide almost exactly and everything is now stable. The only variations I made from the guide were CPU voltage and LLC setting. The guide was originally for i7-8700K, but it's working great with my i9-9900K. My temps top out at exactly 80C when running Prime95. I'm on air cooling with a delidded 9900K@5GHz.
I like derBauer's videos too. I believe they patterned the Jimmy Neutron character after him.

latest
Screen Shot 17.jpg

Hi, pastrychef! Yes, I saw your modification of your i9-9900K, and its amazing! It was shocking and scaring also! :) I will follow the guide and report back. You have much better mobo ofc, and it is made for hardcore overclocking also. I wanted to ask if you have enabled iGPU, or you have hardware encoding support only with RX Vega56?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, pastrychef! Yes, I saw your modification of your i9-9900K, and its amazing! It was shocking and scaring also! :) I will follow the guide and report back. You have much better mobo ofc, and it is made for hardcore overclocking also. I wanted to ask if you have enabled iGPU, or you have hardware encoding support only with RX Vega56?

Yes, I was a little scared too. Lol But I'm very happy with the results. I currently run my 9900K with four cores at 5.1GHz and four cores at 5GHz @1.310v and it's rock solid. I did quite a few hours of Prime95 stress testing. Der Bauer's guide is great.
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 6.43.14 PM.png

Yes, I have IGPU enabled. Currently, with 9th gen CPU, you must spoof 8th gen ig-platform-id.
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 6.38.33 PM.png

Awesome to hear about the stability!
Did you inspect and re-seat your ram modules? it is possible that the connection might not be in 100% or there is some debris in the socket? stranger things have happened :)
I tried to get the IGPU up and running but haven't had enough time to read and thoroughly understand how to enable it properly. I do plan to get in to it over the Christmas break at some point. NoVPAJpeg.kext in /Library/Extensions has been getting me through just fine but my system is mainly for Audio (Pro Tools and UAD). I was going to put one of my old NVIDIA cards in but i managed to pickup a 2nd hand MSI RX 560 for $60, it has been great, plug and play, multiple screens and CS:GO is still playable so I think your RX 580 will be just fine.

If you do try and get the IGPU Working, be very careful, read as much as possible and clone your drive + EFI before starting to avoid ruining Christmas!

I have attached my updated EFI (Serials cleared) and current kexts i am using. My system is very stable and i have been pushing it as far as i can.

Yes thank you again buddhaburger! Your settings work like a charm as it seems! :) and also novpajpeg works (in "other" folder inside clover not in "extensions" folder though). the only difference I noticed is that hwmonitor is showing hdd/ssd temps only. I tried whatever i found in the forum with similar issues but nothing worked for me. Sometime I wasn't able to boot at all. I'm attaching extensions,other, drivers64uefi folders... but I don't think Im missing something... damn it and hwmonitor is my favourite... simple and reliable. Pastrychef what is the name of the software you are using to display hevc support?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-12-21 at 13.54.03.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-21 at 13.54.03.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Extensions.png
    Extensions.png
    228.6 KB · Views: 187
  • other.png
    other.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot 2018-12-21 at 15.56.44.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-21 at 15.56.44.png
    145.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Yes thank you again buddhaburger! Your settings work like a charm as it seems! :) and also novpajpeg works (in "other" folder inside clover not in "extensions" folder though). the only difference I noticed is that hwmonitor is showing hdd/ssd temps only. I tried whatever i found in the forum with similar issues but nothing worked for me. Sometime I wasn't able to boot at all. I'm attaching extensions,other, drivers64uefi folders... but I don't think Im missing something... damn it and hwmonitor is my favourite... simple and reliable. Pastrychef what is the name of the software you are using to display hevc support?

Awesome! You are welcome!
Check the settings in HW Monitor as the others may not be selected, click on the eye to make them appear - See attached picture
That software is called "VideoProc" The free version can show you IGPU info, just click on "Setting" then "Option"
Regarding boot, I will try to save my bios settings or screenshot so you can check them out, but I can see also you are missing IntelMausiEthernet.kext from /Library/Other. That may have something to do with the boot failure, or it may not, either way I attached it for you below :)

HWMonitor Example.jpg

Attachments

• IntelMausiEthernet.kext.zip
    54.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back