Contribute
Register

i9 9820X kernel panic on install

Status
Not open for further replies.
(i need a :thrilled:, a :pray: and a :support: smilie !!!)
notes:i am running this with an old GT430 but i guess it doesn't change anything since the Panic comes first.

Cheers!
Your preboot.log shows that you started Windows instead of macOS, so most of logs are not present.
The root cause seems to be similar (LocalApicID 0 is not active), but at the same time ProcessorID already start from 0, so it may need a different solution.
You may try to patch your APIC table so ProcessorID to start from 1 instead of 0.
The easiest way is to disable HyperThreading and limit CPU core count to 1 in bios, and then try PatchAPIC on and off or patch the table manually. Remember that after you enable/disable CPU cores or HT, you need to extract acpi tables again.

@Florin9doi thank you for your help!
i upload a new prboot.log. This time after only mac boot tries.
So i gave it a go with 1 core and 2 cores, no HT. First with PatchAPIC and then patched APIC.aml
my tries (same for 1 and 2 cores)
Code:
[02Ch 0044   1]                Subtable Type : 00 [Processor Local APIC]
[02Dh 0045   1]                       Length : 08
[02Eh 0046   1]                 Processor ID : 01
[02Fh 0047   1]                Local Apic ID : 02
[030h 0048   4]        Flags (decoded below) : 00000001
                           Processor Enabled : 1

[034h 0052   1]                Subtable Type : 00 [Processor Local APIC]
[035h 0053   1]                       Length : 08
[036h 0054   1]                 Processor ID : 02
[037h 0055   1]                Local Apic ID : 12
[038h 0056   4]        Flags (decoded below) : 00000001
and
Code:
[02Ch 0044   1]                Subtable Type : 00 [Processor Local APIC]
[02Dh 0045   1]                       Length : 08
[02Eh 0046   1]                 Processor ID : 10
[02Fh 0047   1]                Local Apic ID : 02
[030h 0048   4]        Flags (decoded below) : 00000001

[034h 0052   1]                Subtable Type : 00 [Processor Local APIC]
[035h 0053   1]                       Length : 08
[036h 0054   1]                 Processor ID : 02
[037h 0055   1]                Local Apic ID : 12
[038h 0056   4]        Flags (decoded below) : 00000001
Nothing changed. Same message.
Truth is though that i am quite a noob in compiling and editing so i am not even sure clover reads the patched APIC.aml. (It is displayed in clover options read from in ACPI/patched as should though). I am uploading one of my tries(APIC.aml) as well just in case.
It seems wierd to me that the message never changes...
Also, how do i know that LocalApicID is not active?
Any ideas how to move on?

Attachments

• preboot.log.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 66
  • APIC.aml.zip
    824 bytes · Views: 108
Your preboot.log shows that you started Windows instead of macOS, so most of logs are not present.
The root cause seems to be similar (LocalApicID 0 is not active), but at the same time ProcessorID already start from 0, so it may need a different solution.
You may try to patch your APIC table so ProcessorID to start from 1 instead of 0.
The easiest way is to disable HyperThreading and limit CPU core count to 1 in bios, and then try PatchAPIC on and off or patch the table manually. Remember that after you enable/disable CPU cores or HT, you need to extract acpi tables again.

Could you please explain what you see in the files to know that "LocalApicID 0 is not active" and "ProcessorID already start from 0"? Thanks.

(I'm presently trying to get a GB C621 mobo with twin Xeon 6230 CPUs––just one CPU to start––to work, but I'm not yet able to get it to boot, and I think the ACPI issues you've raised are part of the problem.)

Could you please explain what you see in the files to know that "LocalApicID 0 is not active" and "ProcessorID already start from 0"? Thanks.

(I'm presently trying to get a GB C621 mobo with twin Xeon 6230 CPUs––just one CPU to start––to work, but I'm not yet able to get it to boot, and I think the ACPI issues you've raised are part of the problem.)
If i have understood correct seeing the panic in the first post you can spot LocalApicId as disabled (you can't see all of them so i might be wrong)

Screenshot 2019-08-25 at 22.26.09.png

Also in this post you can see that Florin9dol is modifying APIC.aml changing the ProcessorID from 10 to 00 and thus fixing the problem.

What you quoted is his answer to my problem. Which unfortunately seems to be different. In my APIC.aml ProcessorID starts from 00, which should be correct. Still i get the same panic as the X299 boards. (or at least the same main message:.... x86_validate_topology() 16 threads but 17 registered from MADT .... )

The problem of the X299 boards is fixed in the latest clover versions just by checking PatchAPIC in the CPU settings section of clover settings. You can try this for start.

if you get the same panic do post here your results. It might be useful for me as well cause i am stuck for good.

@AsEvil hi, I have the same config , but get kernel panic, can you please provide me your clover EFI, and what need make for get it working

So, I'm wondering (to use a newly created Install OS X USB stick) if I need to cold boot with a second EFI-only USB boot stick and tick the "Fix APIC" box? -Or should I open the Install OS X boot stick on a real Mac and monkey with the installer's Clover .config file?

FWIW, I did manage to alter a TSC kext for my processor. I made a hyperthreading-enabled version and a hyperthreading-disabled version, just in case.

Florin9doi, you are unbelievable! Now we only have to click "PatchAPIC", and that´s it! My X299-A and another Asus Board (WS X299-PRO) are booting without a problem with my "faulty" 9900X, and the GB-Scores are high and normally, great work! Many many thanks, also to ori69 for his research!
Hi i have the same asus prime deluxe 2 ans 9920x cpu. Can you please share your efi folder and advice? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back