Contribute
Register

i7-4770K and z87x-u5dh build freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the quick reply! I'm still not sure if I understand correctly though.
Ok, wow so my RAM is rated at 1.500V so should I take it all the way to 2.000V? there's a red warning sign there.

I guess I didn't explain myself correctly for the CPU clock. My clock goes starts at 100.00 and I'm wondering if the 100.1 that Oscar was referring is the same as 100.01 or 100.10

If you don't understand what you are doing you should seriously reconsider changing your settings.

I agree but I'm still getting freezes and I've been researching and following posts like this and trying out stuff.
I already asked for help and nobody answered so it seems that it's up to me to figure out how to fix my problem. I dropped so much cash into this build that I have to get it to work and the only way I can understand is by asking questions. Can't afford to not fix my build just because I don't understand the settings yet.

Actually its not RAM or CPU problem. Don't worry about it. This is totally graphics problem... But no matter what it will be always freeze if you not use Clover type installation. For example I almost used my hackintosh with Clover for a week and no any freeze. Yesterday I format to Clover system and installed new system with Unibeast and freeze start again. Oscar bios setting really helping but I getting different type problem. My videos previews in the folder look likes down below. But all videos playing normally without any problem. Just previews look like that. When I disabled Internal Graphics this problem gone but freezing start again... How to Clover handle this I don't get it.. And nobody will not help to you 'cause there is no any permanent solution this f.. freezing problem... I almost read every threads in this forum for freezing and there is no any solution :( Or people know it and don't want to share... I asked many people nobody helping me :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 00.01.15.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 00.01.15.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 197
Actually its not RAM or CPU problem. Don't worry about it. This is totally graphics problem... But no matter what it will be always freeze if you not use Clover type installation. For example I almost used my hackintosh with Clover for a week and no any freeze. Yesterday I format to Clover system and installed new system with Unibeast and freeze start again. Oscar bios setting really helping but I getting different type problem. My videos previews in the folder look likes down below. But all videos playing normally without any problem. Just previews look like that. When I disabled Internal Graphics this problem gone but freezing start again... How to Clover handle this I don't get it.. And nobody will not help to you 'cause there is no any permanent solution this f.. freezing problem... I almost read every threads in this forum for freezing and there is no any solution :( Or people know it and don't want to share... I asked many people nobody helping me :(

I actually think it's the RAM... what's the RAM you're running right now?

Hi there!

I had a couple of freezes since I used the fix from my previous post BUT further research and testing showed that you should also do the following (along with setting manual memory latencies and memory voltage bump at 1.55 V):

1. Update org.charmeleon.boot.plist's IGPEnabler to 'Yes' and run RepairPermissions from DiskUtility on system HDD after that
  2. Restart the system and go to BIOS
  3. Activate internal intel graphics in BIOS
  4. Set external graphic as primary in BIOS (Init Display First -> PCIe 1 Slot)
  5. Set CPU Base Clock to 100.1 instead of auto or 100
  6. Under "Advanced CPU Core Features" disable "C3/C6 State Support" (in some BIOS versions there are individual options for C3 and C6/C7 states)

Obviously you will have double GPU's after these updates but since external graphic is set as primary in BIOS everything will be the same as before - except for the freezes :)

After these updates my Hack performed flawlessly and I haven't experienced any freezes for more than 2 weeks now. System uptime is currently at 16+ days.

From my experience best way for testing system stability is using Prime95's Torture test (use Custom settings and under "Memory to use" enter your complete RAM size - mine was 32GBs). If there is any instability system will freeze after few minutes of this test. After I've set all those settings from the list my system could run this test indefinite...

I'll update my previous post shortly.

Hope this helps you out!

Thank you so much!!
Your suggestions so far seem to have helped. It's such a relief.

My system: GA-z97x-gaming 7, corsair vengeance 4x8g 1600mHz, intel 4790k, GTX 770oc
Bios F6
Running dual boot: Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and Windows 8.1

I followed your instructions, but also disabled Vt-d in the bios (needed to for my Yosemite install). I did not change the GraphicsEnabler flag. Both PCI-e graphics and internal graphics are enabled and recognized on the mac side.

I've had the same 4 DIMM stick freeze issue with my other build GA-z87x-OC & 4770k as well as this one. Hopefully this will solve it permanently.

Hi there!

I had a couple of freezes since I used the fix from my previous post BUT further research and testing showed that you should also do the following (along with setting manual memory latencies and memory voltage bump at 1.55 V):

1. Update org.charmeleon.boot.plist's IGPEnabler to 'Yes' and run RepairPermissions from DiskUtility on system HDD after that
  2. Restart the system and go to BIOS
  3. Activate internal intel graphics in BIOS
  4. Set external graphic as primary in BIOS (Init Display First -> PCIe 1 Slot)
  5. Set CPU Base Clock to 100.1 instead of auto or 100
  6. Under "Advanced CPU Core Features" disable "C3/C6 State Support" (in some BIOS versions there are individual options for C3 and C6/C7 states)

Obviously you will have double GPU's after these updates but since external graphic is set as primary in BIOS everything will be the same as before - except for the freezes :)

After these updates my Hack performed flawlessly and I haven't experienced any freezes for more than 2 weeks now. System uptime is currently at 16+ days.

From my experience best way for testing system stability is using Prime95's Torture test (use Custom settings and under "Memory to use" enter your complete RAM size - mine was 32GBs). If there is any instability system will freeze after few minutes of this test. After I've set all those settings from the list my system could run this test indefinite...

I'll update my previous post shortly.

Hope this helps you out!

Ditto. After 2 years I can finally put that last 8GB back in and have it run reliably. Great research/testing! Running 3 weeks with only one freeze, but I have to write it up to absolutely slamming the box with waaay too much IO for hours. Currently uptime is over 12 days!

Oh, I also changed from MacPro 3,1 to iMac14,2
SMfamily=iMac
SMproductname=iMac14,2
in the smbios.plist file

Ditto. After 2 years I can finally put that last 8GB back in and have it run reliably. Great research/testing! Running 3 weeks with only one freeze, but I have to write it up to absolutely slamming the box with waaay too much IO for hours. Currently uptime is over 12 days!

Oh, I also changed from MacPro 3,1 to iMac14,2
SMfamily=iMac
SMproductname=iMac14,2
in the smbios.plist file

Well, spoke too soon. crashing again, however with the modifications I was able to use the memory testing app "Rember" and isolate that one of my 4 sticks of ram was apparently bad from day 1 two years ago. Opening RMA.. Hopefully will update with good news in about a month...

Finally a good update!

I found a memory test utility called rember. it was able to detect a failure. I isolated the bad dimm, which must have been bad from day 1 and returned it for a replacment under lifetime warranty. Go teh new one back and all memory tests passed with the stick alone and in 32GB config. Running 19 Days solid now, including fusion with 4 VMs running, itunes sharing, iphoto sharing (mavericks), logitech media server, nfs server, ftp server, dhcp server, etc. using the reccomendations in this thread.

Whoo Hoo. Nice to have a reliable server again with the full 32GB...

Physical Memory 32.00GB
Memory USed 31.22GB
Virtual Memory 36.59GB
Swap Used 1.03GB
App Memory 4.60GB
File Cache 13.01GB
Wired memory 11.13GB
Comopressed 1.44GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back