Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
axedye said:
dont do it lol wait for the ivy bridge extreme processors which will have thunderbolt ports. thats what I am doing, then again my current build is with a 2600k i7 processor so no need for me to upgrade yet.

You realize there are no Ivy Bridge 6-cores--right? Ivy Bridge will be a side-grade from SB. SB-E is the only "upgrade" for the next 12-18 months.

maleorderbride said:
axedye said:
dont do it lol wait for the ivy bridge extreme processors which will have thunderbolt ports. thats what I am doing, then again my current build is with a 2600k i7 processor so no need for me to upgrade yet.

You realize there are no Ivy Bridge 6-cores--right? Ivy Bridge will be a side-grade from SB. SB-E is the only "upgrade" for the next 12-18 months.

Also, if you need more than 16 PCIe lanes, the X79 / 39xx is the way to go.

Working great so far, shame speedstep and c states can't work yet, this thing is constantly at 100% ad generating some fair heat and energy consumption. Can't wait for these CPU features to be enabled in OS X via DSDT.

kboon said:
Great congrats :headbang: could you tell us a little bit more of the hardware you used, post install edits is everything working fine?

To get the basic support, I did pretty much the same thing ybott did:

ybott said:
After checking AHCI was enabled and disabling CPU power management (C-states) in the BIOS, I did a clean install using tonymac's UniBeast (THANK YOU!), upon restart I ran Multibeast 4.1.0 and selected;

System Utilities>Repair Permissions
Drivers & Bootloaders>Graphics>NVIDIA GF100 Fermi Patches>OpenCL Enabler 10.7.2
Drivers & Bootloaders>Miscellaneous>FakeSMC
Drivers & Bootloaders>Miscellaneous>NullCPUManagement
Drivers & Bootloaders>Bootloaders>Chimera v1.6.0 r1394
Customisation>Boot Options>64-bit Apple Boot Screen
Customisation>Boot Options>PCI Configuration Fix
Customisation>Boot Options>Use KernelCache
Customisation>System Definitions>iMac>iMac 12,1
OSx86 Software>Kext Utility
OSx86 Software>ShowAllFiles

In addition, to get the Intel nic working, I added hnak's AppleIntelE1000e driver (via Multi-Beast)

I have not bothered with the audio, as I use a firewire audio interface (M-Audio ProFire 2626).
I generally turn off the on-board audio in bios.

One thing I have not gotten working yet is the GC-WIFI card that came with the UD5 motherboard.
The Bluetooth seems to function but I haven't found a working KEXT for the Atheros AR1111 card.

Oh yeah.. almost forgot about the Graphics card.. It's a GTX465. It just worked.

Reviews are not favorable for this board. What revision did you get? Have you had any problems with the bios of this board? I'm still on the fence on this build or wait for thunderolt.

Kevin

KevinAGI said:
Reviews are not favorable for this board. What revision did you get? Have you had any problems with the bios of this board? I'm still on the fence on this build or wait for thunderolt.

Kevin

There is only a single revision of the P9X79 Pro motherboard. I had a few minor frustrations with my build, but other than the price I have no real problems with the P9X79 Pro and am going to purchase more if I can manage to get another i7-3930K.

Don't be dismayed by Newegg reviews. The 1 egg reviews were either because the board was DOA, or they had problems getting RAID to work OOB with Windows 7. The others that dinged eggs were because they could not get all 8 RAM channels working properly.

All of those issues (other than DOA) look like user error and DOA happens to every manufacturer. Of course the Windows 7 DVD from over a 1.5 years ago does not contain drivers for a chipset that had not been manufactured yet. Of course there can be difficulties getting all 8 DIMMs up and running at full speed. That is to be expected and is going to be the case with the chipset, not just this ASUS board or model.

Buy a 32GB (or 64GB) kit and enable the XMP profile in the BIOS and you should have no problems.

manfriday said:
To get the basic support, I did pretty much the same thing ybott did:

ybott said:
After checking AHCI was enabled and disabling CPU power management (C-states) in the BIOS, I did a clean install using tonymac's UniBeast (THANK YOU!), upon restart I ran Multibeast 4.1.0 and selected;

System Utilities>Repair Permissions
Drivers & Bootloaders>Graphics>NVIDIA GF100 Fermi Patches>OpenCL Enabler 10.7.2
Drivers & Bootloaders>Miscellaneous>FakeSMC
Drivers & Bootloaders>Miscellaneous>NullCPUManagement
Drivers & Bootloaders>Bootloaders>Chimera v1.6.0 r1394
Customisation>Boot Options>64-bit Apple Boot Screen
Customisation>Boot Options>PCI Configuration Fix
Customisation>Boot Options>Use KernelCache
Customisation>System Definitions>iMac>iMac 12,1
OSx86 Software>Kext Utility
OSx86 Software>ShowAllFiles

In addition, to get the Intel nic working, I added hnak's AppleIntelE1000e driver (via Multi-Beast)

I have not bothered with the audio, as I use a firewire audio interface (M-Audio ProFire 2626).
I generally turn off the on-board audio in bios.

One thing I have not gotten working yet is the GC-WIFI card that came with the UD5 motherboard.
The Bluetooth seems to function but I haven't found a working KEXT for the Atheros AR1111 card.

Oh yeah.. almost forgot about the Graphics card.. It's a GTX465. It just worked.

Sounds very promising. I figure from your explanation that the firewire port worked oob? that the main reason why I m interested in the same board.

Yeah, the firewire worked OOB.
Only thing I can remember not working OOB was nic, wireless, and audio.
Nic was an easy fix. audio I didn't bother with, and wireless I haven't been able to make work.

Anyone with an Asus build braved the 10.7.3 update yet?

Edit: Updated and no problems :D

dashbad said:
Anyone with an Asus build braved the 7.1.3 update yet?

Edit: Updated and no problems :D

Hmm - having some issues where sound stops working after a while, but this may be more of a problem with my interface.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back