Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5. I always had good luck with the Gigabyte boards for my past hacks.
not so with this one it seems.

I am hanging at "Mac Framework successfully initialized"
"Using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers"

ybott said:
WOOOO! I'm writing this from my 3960X build! (P9X79 WS)

After checking AHCI was enabled and disabling CPU power management (C-states) in the BIOS, I did a clean install using tonymac's UniBeast (THANK YOU!), upon restart I ran Multibeast 4.1.0 and selected;

System Utilities>Repair Permissions
Drivers & Bootloaders>Graphics>NVIDIA GF100 Fermi Patches>OpenCL Enabler 10.7.2
Drivers & Bootloaders>Miscellaneous>FakeSMC
Drivers & Bootloaders>Miscellaneous>NullCPUManagement
Drivers & Bootloaders>Bootloaders>Chimera v1.6.0 r1394
Customisation>Boot Options>64-bit Apple Boot Screen
Customisation>Boot Options>PCI Configuration Fix
Customisation>Boot Options>Use KernelCache
Customisation>System Definitions>iMac>iMac 12,1
OSx86 Software>Kext Utility
OSx86 Software>ShowAllFiles

After a couple rest restarts I decided to OC by just turning on XMP and changing the (turbo) multiplier to 45 and I just got a GeekBench score of 21,872!! (attached) AMAZING!

>

So you are not using a dsdt? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this same build.

Kevin

No DSDT, just kexts and plist edits. Got full resolution and correct system profile with a GTX 570 but no Core Image by the looks of it. I'm going to test OpenGL and OpenCl tomorrow night (GMT) and will report back in the graphics section of the post build forum in my current thread.

Can't wait for someone to do a DSDT and also can't wait
For a universal GTX 570 hackintosh solution!

(-:

ybott said:
No DSDT, just kexts and plist edits. Got full resolution and correct system profile with a GTX 570 but no Core Image by the looks of it. I'm going to test OpenGL and OpenCl tomorrow night (GMT) and will report back in the graphics section of the post build forum in my current thread.

Can't wait for someone to do a DSDT and also can't wait
For a universal GTX 570 hackintosh solution!

(-:

There is a thread that outlines the few edits necessary for a GTX 570 to be fully working here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=260074

Worked fine for me in the past.

Until native power management is even possible to support, there seems to be no need for an edited DSDT on most of the ASUS boards. Edits are largely cosmetic until power management and native audio are worked out.

I did not test using a raised BCLK in OS X, but I would wager that you run into audio de-sync issues. Give it a try though--certainly won't do any harm!

That said, good luck getting a 3930K! World-wide shortage ;p

Cool. Cheers for that! I've got OpenGL and OpenCL working now for sure (50FPS OpenGl in Cinebench and a decent score in Luxmark (will post tomorrow)), it's just QE/CI that isn't working! I'll check the hex edits in the link referenced in the link you just shared (http://netkas.org/?p=794).

Once that is working, would it be fair to assume a hex <device-properties> addition (gfx string) to my boot.plist could enable DUAL GTX 570's (I need one without monitors just for CUDA)??

Sorry if this is going off-topic! On another note, this 3960X kicks ass, if you know about RED files/debayering etc, this CPU with a 4.5GHz turbo setting (45x multiplier setting) can do a half-res good debayer of 4K red raw files at 28FPS in DaVinci Resolve with 2 correction nodes and 1 GTX 570! AMAZING! Considering a red-rocket is £3,750 and there's little difference in monitoring half res or full res debayer on 1080p equipment/monitors. So grading in half res and rendering final output at full res (probably around 8fps) seems like a good compromise to save $5000 (-:

Cinebench CPU scores are 12-13, will update this post with exact scores tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

p.s. if anyone wants data etc to work on a DSDT for the P9X79 WS I'd be happy to oblige!

ybott said:
Sorry if this is going off-topic! On another note, this 3960X kicks ass, if you know about RED files/debayering etc, this CPU with a 4.5GHz turbo setting (45x multiplier setting) can do a half-res good debayer of 4K red raw files at 28FPS in DaVinci Resolve with 2 correction nodes and 1 GTX 570! AMAZING! Considering a red-rocket is £3,750 and there's little difference in monitoring half res or full res debayer on 1080p equipment/monitors. So grading in half res and rendering final output at full res (probably around 8fps) seems like a good compromise to save $5000 (-:

Cinebench CPU scores are 12-13, will update this post with exact scores tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

p.s. if anyone wants data etc to work on a DSDT for the P9X79 WS I'd be happy to oblige!

That's what I'm talking about.

Kevin

overclocked to 4.8 on this amazing chip way easier to oc then the xeon

xPURE_AcIDx said:
overclocked to 4.8 on this amazing chip way easier to oc then the xeon

What settings did you use? I take it this is in OS X not just windows?

Also, I notice you have a GTX 570 running too, do you have QE/CI ? What guide did you follow? Are you on 10.7.2?

Thanks,

Single GTX 570 working with NVDAGF100Hal.kext edit (adding device ID) and OpenCL via;

http://www.weezey.com/2011/10/os-x-lion ... x-570.html

I am NOT using gfx strings, but using graphicsenabler. Here is my boot.plist (Note PciRootUID=0, this is with card in top blue slot on P9X79 WS);

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>PciRootUID=0 npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Now onto dual GTX 570 which will probably require gfx strings and NVDA, Parent and NVDA, Child names for each card in the combined .plist and resultant hex string. Can anyone advise here or is the aquatic dual cards technique still the way to go??

CineBench CPU: 12.63 (Turbo at 44x)
CineBench OpenGL: 50.05 FPS
Geekbench 64b: 21,300
Geekbench 32b: 19,200

Seems perfectly stable with a turbo multi of 44, but going to go to 48 and report back. Will test with Prime95. This machine is awesome. 16GB Dominator RAM might be helping with the stability of things...

dont do it lol wait for the ivy bridge extreme processors which will have thunderbolt ports. thats what I am doing, then again my current build is with a 2600k i7 processor so no need for me to upgrade yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back