Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps using some other bootloaders like Revoboot or Clover may solve the power management problem without the need in a new kernel.

Ok - got everything up and running. Thanks again to everyone in this thread for helping answer my noob questions.

Have overclocked to 4.2Ghz and am very impressed with the performance:

Geekbench - 18020
cinebench - 10.86
Logic Pro benchmark test - 137 tracks

Restart is working fine - in fact the only things I haven't got working are USB 3, Powermanagement and some small cosmetic issues like unnamed SATA controllers.

For USB 3 the ASmedia/updating firmware in windows solution doesn't work and the PXHCD kext causes kernel panics when some devices are used so this is the one aspect of the board its a shame not to be able to use - even at USB 2 speeds.

dashbad said:
Ok - got everything up and running. Thanks again to everyone in this thread for helping answer my noob questions.

Geekbench - 18020
cinebench - 10.86

Restart is working fine - in fact the only things I haven't got working are USB 3, Powermanagement and some small cosmetic issues like unnamed SATA controllers.

For USB 3 the ASmedia/updating firmware in windows solution doesn't work and the PXHCD kext causes kernel panics when some devices are used so this is the one aspect of the board its a shame not to be able to use - even at USB 2 speeds.

Hi dashbad! Great news! Well done. I've PM'd you for info you've just posted here so firstly sorry for that! Can I ask though, do you think an Asus P9X79 WS would be as simple to get working? Once you've done a DSDT for the Pro, would you be interested in helping me develop one for the WS? Also do you see any reason why a 3960X wouldn't work? (Cache could be useful to me as I do video/CG work).

Thanks!

I am far from an expert. I just followed the steps Maleorderbride took (see earlier in the thread) and used his DSDT and boot flags so I would start there. I haven't done any DSDT editing myself.

I've no idea if the WS will be different but I imagine you couldn't use the same DSDT and would need to do something specific.

ybott said:
dashbad said:

Geekbench - 18020
cinebench - 10.86

Hi dashbad! Great news! Well done. I've PM'd you for info you've just posted here so firstly sorry for that! Can I ask though, do you think an Asus P9X79 WS would be as simple to get working? Once you've done a DSDT for the Pro, would you be interested in helping me develop one for the WS? Also do you see any reason why a 3960X wouldn't work? (Cache could be useful to me as I do video/CG work).

Thanks!

Hi,

I have a WS and it was very easy to get working. I didn't use a DSDT. I just used Multibeast and the Kexts recommended by Maleorderbride to get the sound and network working.

Mick

ybott said:

Thanks!

I've got lion 10.7.2 working fine(minus usb3 and pm) with a 3960x and asus p9x79 pro.

Maleorderbride's instructions worked perfectly. I've not had a chance to really test overclocking it yey, but plan to see what i can push it to at the weekend. Will post geekbench/cinebench scores once i've done it.

Right, I'm taking the plunge! I've ordered these parts;

- i7-3960X (and a i7-3930K for identical build but that's out of stock at the moment)
- Asus P9X79 WS
- Corsair Dominator 16GB (4x4GB) PC3-14900C9 1866MHz RAM
- 2x GTX 570 (but will probably use a 480 for initial install..)

They arrive tomorrow! I'm hoping to follow maleorderbride's and others advice to get it working. Thanks to all of you. I'll keep you posted. I'm hoping to OC both to 4.5GHz, and will do some benching and real-world tests to compare the CPU's as the rest of the builds are identical. (for me these real world tests will be video based, specifically RED debayer performance). Wish me luck!

I've had some issues with Overclocking - the bios failing to apply the Overclock and I also managed to corrupt my OSX install in the process so I've reverted to stock.

Can anyone clarify what clock speeds OSX will run at with the vanilla bios?

As NullCPUManagement is used does this mean that Speedstep is not utilised by OSX?

Does OSX use Turbo Boost? - i.e on a vanilla bios will the CPU jump to 3,8 under load and go back to 3.2 under idle?

dashbad- I thought you were stable at 4.2GHz? Can I also confirm which mobo and RAM you are using?

thanks,

I was stable - ran prime95 in windows for 2 hours and had it running at 4.2 in OSX under general use for almost 24 hours. Rebooted one time and the BIOS reported failure to overclock and it was downhill from there.

I'm using the P9X79 Pro board with G.Skillz Ripjawz 16GB RAM in a 4x4 config.

Also bizarrely just now OSX is refusing to mount a DVD that mounts just fine in Windows....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back