Contribute
Register

I wanna connect my Hackintoshs' SSD as an external drive to my MacBook and boot it. Am I insane?

it's 2019 MacBook Pro

I don't know if it will work with your MacBook Pro because it has the T2.

Forget about trying to boot High Sierra on your MacBook Pro. Even if by some miracle you manage to make it boot, lots of stuff will not work right.

That's exactly what I did...it is show in the Disk utiliy but when I reboot and try to buut the OS from it it did not work, as i described in my first post...I am not sure is it possible to make it work...the only message i get is "unable to verify Mac OS installation" or something along those lines.
no, do not boot from it!

Forget about trying to boot High Sierra on your MacBook
yeah I’ll be forgetting it I guess :(

now I’m stuck with this build for quite a while because there’s stuff on there that’ll need months if not years for me to work on and finish.
….unless I find the solution how to boot Catalina on this existing build without buying another gfx card

boot Catalina on this existing build
Do you mean the Z97X system in your profile ? If so, use the HD4600 iGPU with Catalina, no need to buy a dGPU when you have a 4790K with HD4600 that's supported.

Do you mean the Z97X system in your profile ? If so, use the HD4600 iGPU
Yup that's the one. I already tried unplugging the Nvidia card and connected my monitor to the iGPU...but then boot was unsuccessful ...plus the image aspect ratio was even wrong in Clover's bootloader GUI. ...my expertise in this stuf is limited so I probably have to open like gazillion more threads in this forum to solve it myself...that's why I was first thinking to just sell the hardware and boot the ssd on my MacBook to continue working on that system...now that won't work obviously, but if there's a chance to just use the iGPU and be done with it, I'm all for it man....just have no idea where to even start looking...

Yup that's the one. I already tried unplugging the Nvidia card and connected my monitor to the iGPU...but then boot was unsuccessful ...plus the image aspect ratio was even wrong in Clover's bootloader GUI. ...my expertise in this stuf is limited so I probably have to open like gazillion more threads in this forum to solve it myself...that's why I was first thinking to just sell the hardware and boot the ssd on my MacBook to continue working on that system...now that won't work obviously, but if there's a chance to just use the iGPU and be done with it, I'm all for it man....just have no idea where to even start looking...
or just save your stuff to the icloud or a separate usb drive to transfer over to the mac?

also a configuration will be required if you did take out the nvidia and just use the intel graphics

or just save your stuff to the icloud or a separate usb drive to transfer over to the mac?
Not gonna work because I dont need just the files, I need the system to continue my work ..there's audio plugins and bunch of other stuff that won't even work in newer versions of macOS
also a configuration will be required if you did take out the nvidia and just use the ...
I guess I'll just have to dive into that. Appreciate your effort.

@tess,

Understand your concerns. Here's what you could do. Just get hold of an old 2013 13" Macbook Air or Macbook Pro (which should be very cheap these days secondhand), make sure it has High Sierra installed and try to boot with your drive. If you are concerned, just dupe the drive with Superduper before you remove the EFI on the copy version. It should work.

Back