Contribute
Register

I am so confused about upgrading to Ventura...

So for those of you still watching... I've completed the first of two Hack upgrades to Ventura. As was suggested, the OpenCore methodology was significantly more straightforward. There is (surprise!) one thing left to get correct.

There is M2 memory on the motherboard that is NOT showing up in Ventura (i.e. Disk Utility) This memory was viable in the old OS so I am thinking it is not a BIOS thing... is there a kext or something I need for this type of MOBO memory?

thanks,
tony

Hi there.

If you mean an m.2 SSD then make sure no other SATA drives are attached to the partner port. Usually an m.2 socket disables a conventional SATA one, or vice-versa. Check the motherboard manual.

There is M2 memory on the motherboard that is NOT showing up in Ventura (i.e. Disk Utility) This memory was viable in the old OS so I am thinking it is not a BIOS thing... is there a kext or something I need for this type of MOBO memory?
Do you mean an M.2 NVMe drive ? Memory is RAM. NVMe drives must be formatted APFS via Disk Utility for Ventura.

Last edited:
Thx for the replies... yes, I meant an M.2 NVMe -- and this was pilot error-- its all good now. My friend is *very* happy ! Time to move on to MY Hack upgrade to Ventura.

tony

Hi Again ,

I am attempting to upgrade my Sierra OS up to Ventura.

The current hack uses an NVidea graphics card; which I will replace with a RADEON compatible with Ventura.
I have built the Ventura installer using the OpenCore Patcher.
I have built EFI folder using the OCAuxiliary tools (based on the PLIST for a iMac7,1 with other kexts as seem appropriate for, say, my LAN, etc.

I then copied the EFI folder create on my desktop to the Installer's USB EFI folder.

When I try to BOOT from that Installer USB I get an IMMEDIATE "Prohibitory Symbol." :<

Additional info:
I have tried to boot with the graphics card exchanged; no diff.
I have tried different USB Ports. no diff. (BTW, my current SYSTEMS REPORT says that all my USBs are USB3, and I have read that this *may* be a problem with trying to boot a USB created with OpenCore)
I have tried using the on-board-graphics (i.e. no card at all) no diff.

All suggestions are most welcome,
tony

Back