Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 HD3P
CPU
i3 8100
Graphics
UHD 630
Hello everyone :)

This forum looks very interesting i don't have some things clear but everyday i am learning new things so it's okay :)

I am building a new computer to install High Sierra to work and develop my knowledge in iOS programming languages.
First of all , i don't like playing games so i don't think i will need a dedicated graphic card?
Will the integrated CPU (HD Graphics 630) will work in good performance with XCode and their frameworks ??
Sorry if it looks stupid question but i have only some days surfing in this forum.

Those are the parts i am trying to buy :
- Motherboard GIGABYTE B360M DS3H (68$)
-
Processor Intel 8th Gen Core i3 (118$)
-
SSD Crucial MX500 250 GB (already bought 56$)
- RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz (78$)
- CPU Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve (28$)
In total : 348 $ (without power supply)

What Power Supply do you suggest me? How much W , i did a test in PC part picker and all my components estimated from 150W max .
How much Power Supply you suggest me to use?
Are all my components ready to work with High Sierra without problems?
Is this a good deal?

Thanks for reading this :)

I saw very few success build with anything rather than the Z370 for coffee lake. I know it's way more expensive, but you may want to consider that.

Your other parts should work 'ok' with xCode. 'Good performance' is subjective. I (a developer) won't be happy with i3 and 8GB of RAM (I have i5 non-K and 16GB), but you may. I never had a dedicated graphics card, both with Mac and Hackintosh, they were all fine. But why don't you talk about your current system, how it works and how happy are you with it?

After market cooler is not needed, unless you just want to have it. I don't think you get the K version of i3 for overclocking?

You system should be ok with the small 150W pico PSU. Mine works fine. Anything better will get you ready for future upgrades.

Screen Shot 23.jpg

An Ivy bridge CPU with HD2500 graphics will not fit in an HP 8100 motherboard. Do you have an HP 8300 ??
If so you can easily install macOS High Sierra on that if you add in a GT 710 for only $40.00.

View attachment 344308

An Ivy bridge CPU with HD2500 graphics will not fit in an HP 8100 motherboard. Do you have an HP 8300 ??
If so you can easily install macOS High Sierra on that if you add in a GT 710 for only $40.00.

Thanks for fast reply and sorry for misunderstanding , i edited to correct details on my CPU , i always have think this desktop is HP 8100.. but it is HP Compaq Pro 6300.... I tried to install Sierra on this but it was so slow so i quit with that :( Now i am thinking to create a new computer with new generation because this graphics and this processors are going old in next years i think.

Thanks for fast reply and sorry for misunderstanding , i edited to correct details on my CPU , i always have think this desktop is HP 8100.. but it is HP Compaq Pro 6300.... I tried to install Sierra on this but it was so slow so i quit with that :( Now i am thinking to create a new computer with new generation because this graphics and this processors are going old in next years i think.
The HP 6300 works great with the i5-3470. I own one of those myself. It's not slow at all. You don't want to be using HD2500 graphics as they are only partially supported. Get a GT 710 or better yet a GT 1030 by MSI and use the DP output. It will do 4K at 60 Hz. if you install the web drivers. It's also much easier to get a working install on an HP Ivy Bridge system than a newer Coffee Lake i3-8100 system. If you'd like, you can also upgrade your CPU to an i7-3770 for more speed and HD4000 graphics.

I saw very few success build with anything rather than the Z370 for coffee lake. I know it's way more expensive, but you may want to consider that.

Your other parts should work 'ok' with xCode. 'Good performance' is subjective. I (a developer) won't be happy with i3 and 8GB of RAM (I have i5 non-K and 16GB), but you may. I never had a dedicated graphics card, both with Mac and Hackintosh, they were all fine. But why don't you talk about your current system, how it works and how happy are you with it?

After market cooler is not needed, unless you just want to have it. I don't think you get the K version of i3 for overclocking?

You system should be ok with the small 150W pico PSU. Mine works fine. Anything better will get you ready for future upgrades.

Thanks for fast reply , i live in 3rd country economy and in my life the best computer i used was third generation (this one) , and i have only one year with this because always used Core 2 Due old refurbished computer :)

My system is this : HP Compaq 6300 Pro , 8 giga ram ddr3 , I5 3470 , integrated hd graphics , and i tried my first install on Sierra and it was slow and wasn't working good so i quit and decided to build my first computer with those system requirements and use it with High Sierra.

Why you think i don't need it the CPU Cooler , i know the i3 comes with not so good cooler? Do you think for me as i dont play games will not get problems with temperature with the original i3 cpu cooler?

@bukilj: hey, I have the same country situation with you bro. Parts here are so expensive with no amazon, newegg available. Usually I pay 130%-160% the price people find on amazon.

I'm not sure why you said your computer (now) is slow, when @trs96 said it's not. Maybe you can try using SSD on you HP 6300 Pro (if you haven't already)? Or also try different upgrades he mentioned, he had a very details topic about HP 6300s.

About the cooler, if you don't do anything that will void your warranty, your stock options will always be enough, that's what they're designed for. Very small fraction of end-user needs after-market solutions. You can always buy it later if you want though.

The HP 6300 works great with the i5-3470. I own one of those myself. It's not slow at all. You don't want to be using HD2500 graphics as they are only partially supported. Get a GT 710 or better yet a GT 1030 by MSI and use the DP output. It will do 4K at 60 Hz. if you install the web drivers. It's also much easier to get a working install on an HP Ivy Bridge system than a newer Coffee Lake i3-8100 system. If you'd like, you can also upgrade your CPU to an i7-3770 for more speed and HD4000 graphics.

Thanks for advice and reply :)

I want to catch a bit the technology , because i am only interested to use High Sierra or future versions of Mac OS because i will use it to learn development in iOS and to use Xcode and from latest news i hear that Xcode 10 is coming soon and will support only High Sierra(correct me if im wrong) , i will not play always with upgrading parts of computer so i think to buy something who can run it without problems :)

@bukilj: hey, I have the same country situation with you bro. Parts here are so expensive with no amazon, newegg available. Usually I pay 130%-160% the price people find on amazon.

I'm not sure why you said your computer (now) is slow, when @trs96 said it's not. Maybe you can try using SSD on you HP 6300 Pro (if you haven't already)? Or also try different upgrades he mentioned, he had a very details topic about HP 6300s.

About the cooler, if you don't do anything that will void your warranty, your stock options will always be enough, that's what they're designed for. Very small fraction of end-user needs after-market solutions. You can always buy it later if you want though.

My friend will come from USA 31 august so i am sending to his address in USA and he will bring to me (in Balkan europe) . That Z370p D3 cost 150 euro in my country so i can't afford it here.

Check my reply , about newest X Code who needs to run in High Sierra etc :)

Thanks for helping

i will not play always with upgrading parts of computer so i think to buy something who can run it without problems :)
It's true that you will get more years out of a newer build than the older 6300 system. If you were to buy a LP version of the MSI RX560 graphics card the HP 6300 will work with High Sierra and the next version of macOS, Mojave. That is already for sure. The late 2012 iMacs will still be supported in Mojave.

I'm using the latest High Sierra with 0 problems. After Mojave I can't say for certain if it will be supported. You can always use a newer SMBIOS like iMac 14,2 and it will probably work with whatever version of macOS comes after Mojave.

The choice is up to you of course, if you have the budget to buy new then go for that. I just wanted you to know that you have an option to spend much less and still have a fully working system that you can code on while running High Sierra right now.

One last note, there have been many people struggling with their install of H.Sierra on H370/i3-8100 systems. It's not nearly as easy as the install of HS on the HP systems previously mentioned. Read through some threads like the following:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/cant-reach-installer-with-a-h370-gaming-gigabyte-mobo.250066/

Updates to the latest version of macOS are also incredibly easy on the HP 6300. Just update direct from the MAS. Just like on a real Mac.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back