Contribute
Register

Hub is mounted as USB 2 even though USB 3 port is active

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

I think the Hackintool output is pretty good, given the work you did on USBPorts.kext. :thumbup:

What is the problem? Is it that USB Hub at the top of each HS and SS list? You mention the hub in your thread title. It's being identified as both a USB2 device and a USB3 - which looks okay to me. Why would it not be able to mount both types of device?

Let me know more etc :)

PS I think the reason for your scary BIOS error is AptioMemoryFix.efi in the Drivers folder. Try removing it and checking again. For a test like this always have a USB boot stick like UniBeast handy to boot the PC if your experimenting goes awry:thumbup:.
The beginning of the problem is that USB3 devices are connecting to USB2; for example, if I plug a USB 2 drive into a connector on the front of the case it mounts to HS09; if I plug a USB 3 drive into the same connector it mounts to HS09 instead of SS09. Then there are the other config issues, which are at least partially related to migrating the config from my old Z170 motherboard to Z390.

OK, I'll leave you to the USB configuration.

I have amended the CLOVER folder attached, changed UEFI drivers and tweaked the config.plist.

See if this folder works any better.
Similar failure:
IMG_0557.JPG

After hitting a key after the error timeout I get:
IMG_0558.JPG

The beginning of the problem is that USB3 devices are connecting to USB2; for example, if I plug a USB 2 drive into a connector on the front of the case it mounts to HS09; if I plug a USB 3 drive into the same connector it mounts to HS09 instead of SS09. Then there are the other config issues, which are at least partially related to migrating the config from my old Z170 motherboard to Z390.

Okay. So not the hub you mention in the thread title then?

Interested to know what config you can migrate for USB, from Z170 to Z390 Aorus Pro. Without knowing the Z170 model I would expect there to be quite a few port differences. Whereas a USBPorts.kext is created per motherboard and can be re-used through different macOS versions. Some H170 and Z170 motherboards had the same USB port layouts, for example, but the controllers were different.

To test why SS09 isn't picking up a USB3 device would probably need a close look at an IORegistryExplorer output.

Okay. So not the hub you mention in the thread title then?

Interested to know what config you can migrate for USB, from Z170 to Z390 Aorus Pro. Without knowing the Z170 model I would expect there to be quite a few port differences. Whereas a USBPorts.kext is created per motherboard and can be re-used through different macOS versions. Some H170 and Z170 motherboards had the same USB port layouts, for example, but the controllers were different.

To test why SS09 isn't picking up a USB3 device would probably need a close look at an IORegistryExplorer output.
The hub I mentioned in the title is the only device mounting to the SS port, SS03:
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 1.15.16 PM.png

It enumerates on both ports, but all devices connect through port HS03.

In the screenshot above I have an SSD plugged into a front case connector with a USB C to A cable. It only shows up on port HS09, not SS09 where I would expect it. IORegistryExplorer also shows no connection on SS09.

Plugging the same SSD into the hub in question shows it mounting to HS03:
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 1.34.55 PM.png

Plugging the SSD into the USB C port on the motherboard connects to the SS06 port at 10Gbps, so at least I've got that going for me.

I was previously running an SSDT I found for the Z390 after I rebuilt the machine; once I discovered the USB wasn't working as expected I tried generating the USBPorts.kext.

The hub I mentioned in the title is the only device mounting to the SS port, SS03:
View attachment 508879
It enumerates on both ports, but all devices connect through port HS03.

In the screenshot above I have an SSD plugged into a front case connector with a USB C to A cable. It only shows up on port HS09, not SS09 where I would expect it. IORegistryExplorer also shows no connection on SS09.

Plugging the same SSD into the hub in question shows it mounting to HS03:
View attachment 508880

Plugging the SSD into the USB C port on the motherboard connects to the SS06 port at 10Gbps, so at least I've got that going for me.

I was previously running an SSDT I found for the Z390 after I rebuilt the machine; once I discovered the USB wasn't working as expected I tried generating the USBPorts.kext.

Hmmm ....

The Location IDs are the same for each HS / SS pair. They would usually run on in sequence. Take a look at @Edhawk 's screen capture. You can see the progression. In your set-up the SS ports are duplicating the HS ports. So there's no difference between HS03 and SS03.

Something is causing this but we can't see what, with what we have to go on so far. Any kexts in Library/Extensions ? SSDTs in your own EFI were just the two Vega ones so they shouldn't affect anything. Perhaps upload an IOReg export file from v2.1 of the app?

Hmmm ....

The Location IDs are the same for each HS / SS pair. They would usually run on in sequence. Take a look at @Edhawk 's screen capture. You can see the progression. In your set-up the SS ports are duplicating the HS ports. So there's no difference between HS03 and SS03.

Something is causing this but we can't see what, with what we have to go on so far. Any kexts in Library/Extensions ? SSDTs in your own EFI were just the two Vega ones so they shouldn't affect anything. Perhaps upload an IOReg export file from v2.1 of the app?
Here's the contents of Library/Extensions:
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.49.36 PM.png

IOReg attached. Thanks for taking a look.

Attachments

• Ultimum Canis.ioreg
    12.2 MB · Views: 38
Here's the contents of Library/Extensions:
View attachment 508891

IOReg attached. Thanks for taking a look.

Okay, first thing to try is to remove the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and rebuild your kext-caches with Terminal command " sudo kextcache -i / "

Then recheck to see if there is any difference...

Having FakePCII_XHCIMUX.kext active will be the reason your USB ports are behaving poorly.

I would recommend you remove both the FakePCIID kexts, then repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache. Fix the kernel cache Before you reboot.

- Removed both FakePCII kexts from L/E, rebuilt & repaired: no change
- Added XHCI-unsupported.kext to Clover/kexts/Other: no change
- Removed EHC ACPI patches from config.plist and added XHCI to XHC: no change

- Removed both FakePCII kexts from L/E, rebuilt & repaired: no change
- Added XHCI-unsupported.kext to Clover/kexts/Other: no change
- Removed EHC ACPI patches from config.plist and added XHCI to XHC: no change

Sorry, a plain negative gives us nothing new to go on. Clearly something you've done is affecting your particular system that doesn't affect others. Z390 chipsets are very, very common in the Hackintosh world.

To clarify:

You don't need XHCI-unsupported.
You don't need FakePCIID_XHCIMux.
Correct, you don't need any EHCI patches. If your hardware is as per your profile you have no EHCI controllers.

If you check back to your very first post in this thread and look at the screengrab, you can see you had the correct progression of Location IDs. Something you have done since then has changed that and caused the Location ID duplication.

We are just trying to discover what that is for you.

(By the way, there are other non-USB related erroneous kexts in L/E too but I've ignored those for now, concentrating only on USB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back