CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I realized at some point my USB config was wrong and everything was running at USB 2. I followed the instructions at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/ and generated the USBports.kext. I installed it, removed the port limit patches and rebooted; now I see the port limit is in place:
Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 9.59.32 AM.png

There's a USB 3 hub with devices attached to port 3, it enumerates on both the HS and SS ports but is connecting at USB 2.1:
Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 10.15.23 AM.png

I'd pull my hair out if I had any, help or a kick in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Config attached.

Attachments

• config.plist
    10 KB · Views: 40
Your config.plist is riddled with errors. They can be fixed but some of the fixes rely on other parts of the CLOVER folder and your system's DSDT.aml. So....

Can you Post a copy of the Whole CLOVER folder. As I need to see what else you are using, or could be using.

Can you post a copy of your USBPorts.kext if it is not currently located in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other or one of the numbered OSX sub-folders.

A copy of your Bootlog.txt would be helpful. This can be obtained from the Hackintool, Logs tab, simply select the refresh button and the window will be populated with the bootlog. You can then select all the text to copy and paste it in to a TextEdit document, for posting here.

Can you include a copy of the ACPI tables from your system too.

The ACPI tables can be obtained in two easy ways, choose whichever one you feel works best for you:
  1. Open Hackintool, navigate to the the Utilities Tab and select the 'Dump ACPI' icon, forth icon from the right on the bottom row. This will save your ACPI tables to a folder of your choice, easiest to find if created on your desktop.
  2. When booting your system, while on the Clover boot screen press the F4 key. This will silently save the ACPI tables to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your macOS drive or USB pen drive, whichever you are using to boot the system. You will not see any messages or indication that the tables are being saved. So just wait 30 seconds after pressing the F4 key for the system to save the tables. Then boot as normal.
You don't need to do both.

Do you have a 10GB Ethernet card installed in your system? The specification for your system says the motherboard uses a 1GB Intel Ethernet port. So this would be an Add-On card if you have the 10GBE card.

Do you have any third-party kexts installed in your /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folders? If you do, can I ask you to have a read of this guide by Jaymonkey regarding the best location for third-party kexts on a Hack - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

Any third Party kexts in either of these locations would need to be moved to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, if you want to follow best practice. If you do remove any kexts from either of these folders, please remember to repair permissions and to rebuild the kernel cache before you reboot your system. Otherwise you will bork the prelinked kernel and your system won't boot.

The easiest way to repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache is to use Hackintool, navigate to the Utilities tab, select the last icon on the right on the bottom row.

@Edhawk , thanks for the offer to help; I've attached the files you requested.

I do have a 10GB NIC, as well as the 1GB on the motherboard.

L/E folder has IntelMausiEthernet, as well as the FakePCIID and FakeSMC kexts. Everthing else is in CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.1 MB · Views: 51
  • ACPI dump.zip
    232.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Bootlog.txt
    38.8 KB · Views: 44
Ok, I have the files I will be back in touch later.

I have gone through your CLOVER folder and made a number of changes, these include but are not limited to the following:
  • Added a number of common Coffee Lake (CFL) SSDT's to the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  • Some of these were generated using your DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime script.
  • Revised the drivers in your /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder
  • Revised the kexts in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  • Deleted the numbered OSX sub-folders from /CLOVER/kexts folder.
  • Deleted the entries in the /CLOVER/misc folder
  • Deleted the entries in the /CLOVER/OEM folder
  • Deleted the unused Themes from the /CLOVER/themes folder.
I have edited your /CLOVER/config.plist to match what I think you should be using for your CFL iMac19,1 system.

Try this CLOVER folder in place of your current one and see how it works.

I would recommend that you use a spare USB pen drive to test this folder.

DO NOT overwrite your current CLOVER folder until you have tested this folder and know it works.

1. Install Clover to the EFI Partition on the spare USB pen drive, replace the CLOVER folder on the pen drive with the one attached below.
  2. Boot your system with the USB installed,
  3. Press the F12 key when you see the Gigabyte splash screen, this will bring up the Boot Menu,
  4. Select the UEFI partition on the USB pen drive as the boot option.
  5. You will know when you have booted from the USB as the Clover boot theme will be different to what you normally see, I have swapped the Tonymac theme for the Catalina theme.
See how this folder works, it may need tweaking. So don't be despondent if it fails to boot or has some unexpected issues. These can be fixed.

If you do see any kernel panic screens, take a picture and post it here, so I can see what needs tweaking.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 40
Further to the above I have reviewed your USBPorts.kext against your motherboard's USB ports.

Your motherboard has 22 USB ports, as follows:

8 x USB2 ports (4 x rear I/O ports & 2 x Internal Headers (2 x ports each))
1 x USB Type-C port with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support on the back panel
1 x USB Type-C port with USB 3.1 Gen 1 support, available through the internal USB header
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A ports (red) on the back panel
5 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (3 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)

Z390 AORUS PRO motherboard.png Z390 AORUS PRO rear IO plate.png

The two images above show the locations of the USB ports on your motherboard and the rear I/O plate. With the USB ports I think you have not included highlighted.

I don't know what case ports you have or whether you have anything connected to the internal header ports.

I would assume you do have your case ports and a Bluetooth connection internally, but your kext lacks details of this information, so I can't tell what is connected to a header or a rear I/O port. If I can't tell then the system's OS won't be able to tell either.

Your USBPorts.kext activates 12 ports, you can use this kext to activate 15 ports in total.

Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 18.26.25.png Screenshot of USB ports activated by your USBPorts.kext.

The USBPorts.kext contains no USB2 or Type-C ports, well none are identified in the kext, neither are any of the Internal header ports (Hackintool usually identifies these as 'Reserved').

I would therefore recommend you remove this USBPorts.kext, as it is not going to work correctly with your system.

You need to return to the USB configuration guide and recreate your USBPorts.kext and this time make sure you include the USB2 and Type-C ports.

As an example of the type of setup you might see when finished I have attached a copy of my USB port configuration, as seen in Hackintool.

Screenshot 2020-11-04 at 23.41.02.png

• Just to clarify some USB2 ports need to be identified as USB3, as they are in fact a virtual USB2 port on a physical USB3 connection.
  • These USB2/USB3 ports need to be identified differently to the physical USB2 ports located on the rear of your case.
  • The physical USB2 ports need to be identified as USB2 for them to work correctly.
Here is a view of the options available for the ports on your system, taken from the drop down list in Hackintool's USB tab 'Connector' options.

Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 19.08.13.png
Connector options available for you to select.

Hope this helps.

I have gone through your CLOVER folder and made a number of changes, these include but are not limited to the following:
  • Added a number of common Coffee Lake (CFL) SSDT's to the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  • Some of these were generated using your DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime script.
  • Revised the drivers in your /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder
  • Revised the kexts in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  • Deleted the numbered OSX sub-folders from /CLOVER/kexts folder.
  • Deleted the entries in the /CLOVER/misc folder
  • Deleted the entries in the /CLOVER/OEM folder
  • Deleted the unused Themes from the /CLOVER/themes folder.
I have edited your /CLOVER/config.plist to match what I think you should be using for your CFL iMac19,1 system.

Try this CLOVER folder in place of your current one and see how it works.

I would recommend that you use a spare USB pen drive to test this folder.

DO NOT overwrite your current CLOVER folder until you have tested this folder and know it works.

1. Install Clover to the EFI Partition on the spare USB pen drive, replace the CLOVER folder on the pen drive with the one attached below.
  2. Boot your system with the USB installed,
  3. Press the F12 key when you see the Gigabyte splash screen, this will bring up the Boot Menu,
  4. Select the UEFI partition on the USB pen drive as the boot option.
  5. You will know when you have booted from the USB as the Clover boot theme will be different to what you normally see, I have swapped the Tonymac theme for the Catalina theme.
See how this folder works, it may need tweaking. So don't be despondent if it fails to boot or has some unexpected issues. These can be fixed.

If you do see any kernel panic screens, take a picture and post it here, so I can see what needs tweaking.
System won't boot with this Clover folder; I moved my existing Clover folder out of the EFI folder and replaced it with the one you provided. I get this at the BIOS screen:
IMG_0555.JPG

I then get the Clover screen, after selecting the boot drive I get:
IMG_0556.JPG

Then the system halts.

Further to the above I have reviewed your USBPorts.kext against your motherboard's USB ports.

Your motherboard has 22 USB ports, as follows:

8 x USB2 ports (4 x rear I/O ports & 2 x Internal Headers (2 x ports each))
1 x USB Type-C port with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support on the back panel
1 x USB Type-C port with USB 3.1 Gen 1 support, available through the internal USB header
2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A ports (red) on the back panel
5 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (3 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)

View attachment 508849 View attachment 508850

The two images above show the locations of the USB ports on your motherboard and the rear I/O plate. With the USB ports I think you have not included highlighted.

I don't know what case ports you have or whether you have anything connected to the internal header ports.

I would assume you do have your case ports and a Bluetooth connection internally, but your kext lacks details of this information, so I can't tell what is connected to a header or a rear I/O port. If I can't tell then the system's OS won't be able to tell either.

Your USBPorts.kext activates 12 ports, you can use this kext to activate 15 ports in total.

View attachment 508851 Screenshot of USB ports activated by your USBPorts.kext.

The USBPorts.kext contains no USB2 or Type-C ports, well none are identified in the kext, neither are any of the Internal header ports (Hackintool usually identifies these as 'Reserved').

I would therefore recommend you remove this USBPorts.kext, as it is not going to work correctly with your system.

You need to return to the USB configuration guide and recreate your USBPorts.kext and this time make sure you include the USB2 and Type-C ports.

As an example of the type of setup you might see when finished I have attached a copy of my USB port configuration, as seen in Hackintool.

View attachment 508852

• Just to clarify some USB2 ports need to be identified as USB3, as they are in fact a virtual USB2 port on a physical USB3 connection.
  • These USB2/USB3 ports need to be identified differently to the physical USB2 ports located on the rear of your case.
  • The physical USB2 ports need to be identified as USB2 for them to work correctly.
Here is a view of the options available for the ports on your system, taken from the drop down list in Hackintool's USB tab 'Connector' options.

View attachment 508853 Connector options available for you to select.

Hope this helps.
The port layout I was trying to get is:
HS/SS03: Backplane, under HDMI port
HS/SS04: Backplane, next to above connector
HS/SS06: Type C connector on backplane
HS/SS09: Internal header, goes to front of case
HS/SS10: Internal header, goes to front of case
HS13: 4 port USB2 hub on backplane

I'll go back to USBInjectAll and see if I can clean this up, thanks.

Last edited:
I realized at some point my USB config was wrong and everything was running at USB 2. I followed the instructions at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/ and generated the USBports.kext. I installed it, removed the port limit patches and rebooted; now I see the port limit is in place:
View attachment 508689
There's a USB 3 hub with devices attached to port 3, it enumerates on both the HS and SS ports but is connecting at USB 2.1:
View attachment 508690

I'd pull my hair out if I had any, help or a kick in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Config attached.

Hi there.

I think the Hackintool output is pretty good, given the work you did on USBPorts.kext. :thumbup:

What is the problem? Is it that USB Hub at the top of each HS and SS list? You mention the hub in your thread title. It's being identified as both a USB2 device and a USB3 - which looks okay to me. Why would it not be able to mount both types of device?

Let me know more etc :)

PS I think the reason for your scary BIOS error is AptioMemoryFix.efi in the Drivers folder. Try removing it and checking again. For a test like this always have a USB boot stick like UniBeast handy to boot the PC if your experimenting goes awry:thumbup:.

OK, I'll leave you to the USB configuration.

I have amended the CLOVER folder attached, changed UEFI drivers and tweaked the config.plist.

See if this folder works any better.

Attachments

• CLOVER 2.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back