1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Based on the experience of other tonymacx86-users who seem to have had no issues with upgrading similar dual boot setups, I decided to give it a go. In fact, the upgrade it self went fine, but I can’t boot into Windows anymore.

I didn’t disconnect the other SSD with Windows during the upgrade, which probably was a mistake.

Now, when I select the boot option for Windows (either in Clover or UEFI boot menu), Windows starts an automatic repair mode which tells me, that it’s unable to repair the PC. Using the command prompt to execute bootrec manually didn’t help either.

Booting back into High Sierra, I looked at the partition tables using diskutil list:

Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0
   1:           Windows Recovery                         471.9 MB   disk0s1
   2:                        EFI NO NAME                 104.9 MB   disk0s2
   3:         Microsoft Reserved                         16.8 MB    disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS                         249.5 GB   disk0s4

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk3         255.9 GB   disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk2
   1:               Windows_NTFS Disk                    1.0 TB     disk2s1

/dev/disk3 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +255.9 GB   disk3
                                Physical Store disk1s2
   1:                APFS Volume macOS                   218.6 GB   disk3s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 19.0 MB    disk3s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                520.0 MB   disk3s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      20.5 KB    disk3s4

As you can see, I’m using two separate SSDs for Mac and Windows, as well as an HDD for storage.

The upgrade to HS created /dev/disk3. This seems to be the contents of the APFS container at disk1s2, which is mounted as a virtual drive when OS X boots up, correct?.
The sidebar of the disk utility app looks quite messed up now (see screenshot attached).

But have a look at disk0, my Windows drive:
The partition disk0s4 is of type Apple_HFS. This is supposed to be the partition where my Windows data used to be.

Any idea what happened there? How can I fix this and recover my Windows partition?

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 12.04.19.png

Any idea what happened there? How can I fix this and recover my Windows partition?
I wouldn't go by what you see in Disk Utility, though something has obviously gone wrong. You might try GPT fdisk and see if it can provide more information. Info pages.

Thanks for the suggestion, vulgo. I've already tried to fix it with gdisk in the meantime, manually changing the partition type code for disk0s4 from AF00 (Apple HFS) back to 0700 (Microsoft basic data), but to no avail. Bootrec is still not able to identify a windows installation and I still can't rebuild the BCD. I haven't checked if Windows' diskpart could be of any help here, but first I want to finish downloading the Win10 ISO. Maybe I can repair Windows this way.

Just encountered the same problem after upgrading to HS. Haven't figured out what the issue is, hoping HS installer didn't upgrade the Windows 10 NTFS partition to APFS but oddly another NTFS formatted drive is OK

Well, after fiddling around for another few hours, I felt trying to recover my Windows partition isn't worth the time I'm investing into it. Good thing I always have a backup of my most important data. :thumbup:

I managed to gain access to the Windows partition mounting it in a Live Linux environment, meaning the data itself was still undamaged, but didn't find a way to make it bootable again. So I decided it'd be faster and less worrying to reinstall Windows.

I'm just about to try the same thing, but I'm upgrading from El Capitan.

Do you think it's a good idea to disconnect my Win10 ssd before I do it?
Yes. It is always wise to disconnect all other drives than the target drive when updating/upgrading an OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back