Contribute
Register

HP ZBOOK G5 17

Not in OSX that I'm aware of.

Everything in the list working on Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey, dual GPU!!
** Updated to OC 6.9

# Specs
- CPU: Mobile HexaCore Intel Core i7-8750H, 2200 MHz
- Motherboard Hewlett-Packard HP ZBook 17 G5
- Motherboard Chipset: Intel Cannon Lake
- iGPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
- dGPU: AMD WX-4170
- Audio Adapter: Connexant CX-8400
- Thunderbolt 3 Titan Ridge 4C 2018
- WiFi: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560 Jefferson Peak
- Ethernet: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-LM
- RTS525A Realtek Express SDCard Reader

# Working
- AMD WX-4170 DGPU 4GB VRAM
- UHD630 with 1536MB VRAM - (2048MB in UMA mode)
- CPU, GPU and WX-4170 Power Managment
- Brightness controls (mapped to f3 and f4)
- Thunderbolt3 / USB type C data and video @4K + AppleVTD
- HDMI and Mini-DVI video @4K
- USB type A ports (2.0 & 3.0)
- Native NVRAM
- Audio - internal mic, speakers, headphone jack (+sense) and HDMI on all video outputs
- Intel Bluetooth, able to toggle on/off
- I2C ALPS trackpad w/2 button support and 5 finger gestures
- PS2 keyboard w/SSDT Brightness/Volume keys re-mapping
- Battery management
- intel WiFi up to 300mb/s
- Fan Sensors (left and right)
- Webcam
- SD Card Reader
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Sleep
- Full DRM in discrete mode (and in external displays in hybrid mode)
- File Vault

You need to download and add the Resources folder from https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/cosmetic/gui.html

Then select a config.plist based on your setup and then you need to add your info for:
PlatformInfo/Generic/MLB
PlatformInfo/Generic/SystemSerialNumber
PlatformInfo/Generic/SystemUUID

-When you're done, rename it: config.plist

** WX-4170 GPU now works in Catalina/Big Sur and Monterey thanks to @EdwardGeo!! For these OS versions we need to use Hybrid config. (Discrete mode will stall in Catalina+ because our Bios injectes it's enbedded rom which is not compatible) Will also work in UMA config.
** - Will need to flash the attached rom to your card.

* To control wifi you need to download HeliPort or you can switch to AirportItlwm (https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless)
* For DRM fixes follow this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/hp-zbook-g5-17.266012/post-2200447 or use shikigva

* I included SSDT-xNVME.aml which I use to completely disable my windows NVME drive that is not compatible with OSX and causes kernel panics if mounted read/write and also randomly at boot. I find it's more reliable than just not mounting the volume editing fstab. It needs to be enabled in the ACPI section in config.plist and adjusted to your non-compatible NVME drive path.

* Trackpad needs "Force Click" OFF in System Settings to work properly.

ACPI DMAC and DMAR tables have been updated in OC-VTD version to allow AppleVTD to load and have better Thunderbolt 3 support for devices like Apple's thunderbolt to ethernet adapter and (not tested yet) some audio interfaces.
** Bios VT-d option needs to be enabled for this feature.

Also for Thunderbolt 3 with most current HP firmware flashed, there's a Bios glitch that doesn't allow us to select "No Security" as an option. To fix it, you need to switch Thunderbolt to "Legacy Mode" in Bios/Advanced/Ports. then reboot, then go back to Bios/Advanced/Ports and under Thunderbolt security the option -No Security- appears, select it and reboot.
Now go back to Bios Setup again, and in Bios/Advanced/Ports/Thunderbolt, switch the "Legacy" option back to "Native+Low power"
You now have working TB3 ports with hot plug across all OS's

Notes:

HDMI audio should now work on external displays if using UMA mode. (Only one external video outputs will work in UMA mode if MXM card slot is populated when laptop is started with lid closed)
WX-4170 GPU needs to be flashed with the attached rom to work on Catalina / Big Sur / Monterey.

**For audio in Big Sur / Monterey you need to disable SIP and install VoodooHDA in S/L/E and rebuild kext cache.
**Bluetooth doesn't work in Monterey, need to deactivate the kext in config in order to boot.

Modified Kexts:
-CPUFriendDataProvider is specific to my CPU, will need to be modified if you have a different CPU.
-VoodooHDA info.plist is modified to only attach to the Connexant CX8400 Codec and leave the iGPU and dGPU codecs to AppleALC for HDMI hotplug function. It is also modified to automatically switch from speaker to headphone on plug insertion.
-PolarisZBook_WX4170 is custom plist kext to inject power play tables and device properties to the AMD Video driver for better power management.
-SMCSuperIO is custom built to include generic EC controller for fan support (now included in release)
-VoodooI2CHID is custom built to add 2 button support

Also attached is the VBios Rom I'm using for Mojave/Catalina since my WX-4170 MXM card came with an empty EEPROM.

Updated RealtekPCIe Card Reader now full speed native kext
Updated WX-4170 rom now working all MacOS versions since High Sierra!
Updated wifi kext to a more recent build
Updated DMAR and DMAC for TB3 VTD support.

Hello, can the integrated graphics and p4200 nvidia also use dp or hdmi to output the monitor? The latest update to solve these problems? Or do I have to use wx4170?

Hello, can the integrated graphics and p4200 nvidia also use dp or hdmi to output the monitor? The latest update to solve these problems? Or do I have to use wx4170?
Not on OSX. I tried (had a P5200) but there's a couple of problems.
Web drivers only theoretically work up to P4000 or P5000 pascal cards, and these are the next generation, so even if you install High Sierra and the web drivers, they will not work.
Problem 2, these MXM cards don't have a rom chip, or the resistor network needed to flash/read from it. So you can't modify the rom and or inject it to the drivers, and you're stuck with whatever the bios has/injects and in all my tests, MacOS can't load the bios rom. The driver reads it directly from the mxm card.

I'm currently trying to get the mux to switch to IGPU in UMA mode so we get all the external outputs even if the DGPU is not supported in OSX.

Problem for this is that mux control seems to be tied to intel driver in this case, but since real mac laptops don't need to control i2c mux chips, the functions are most likely missing in the driver and trying to get acpi to do the switch is a slow process.

You can use a wx 4150 or a 4170 card for more current metal support if you need a dgpu.

Not on OSX. I tried (had a P5200) but there's a couple of problems.
Web drivers only theoretically work up to P4000 or P5000 pascal cards, and these are the next generation, so even if you install High Sierra and the web drivers, they will not work.
Problem 2, these MXM cards don't have a rom chip, or the resistor network needed to flash/read from it. So you can't modify the rom and or inject it to the drivers, and you're stuck with whatever the bios has/injects and in all my tests, MacOS can't load the bios rom. The driver reads it directly from the mxm card.

I'm currently trying to get the mux to switch to IGPU in UMA mode so we get all the external outputs even if the DGPU is not supported in OSX.

Problem for this is that mux control seems to be tied to intel driver in this case, but since real mac laptops don't need to control i2c mux chips, the functions are most likely missing in the driver and trying to get acpi to do the switch is a slow process.

You can use a wx 4150 or a 4170 card for more current metal support if you need a dgpu.
Thank you very much for your efforts and help. I don’t need p4200 to work. I need an external 4k monitor, through HDMI or DP external monitor. Now there is no way to output the signal, even if I use UMA mode in the BIOS, there is no way to output.

The only way at the moment is to use a WX4150/70 card or you can remove the P4200 mxm card and UMA mode will work with all outputs enabled. Bonus is less heat and less Thermal Throttling and longer battery life. (hence why I'm trying to make this work for the days I don't need the DGPU to be active)

Last edited:
The only way at the moment is to use a WX4150/70 card or you can remove the P4200 mxm card and UMA mode will work with all outputs enabled. Bonus is less heat and less Thermal Throttling and longer battery life. (hence why I'm trying to make this work for days I don't need the DGPU to be active)
Okay, I have time to try to remove the independent graphics card, only with integrated graphics card, thank you, but also as you can study the need not demand to remove the independent graphics can be external output

The only way at the moment is to use a WX4150/70 card or you can remove the P4200 mxm card and UMA mode will work with all outputs enabled. Bonus is less heat and less Thermal Throttling and longer battery life. (hence why I'm trying to make this work for days I don't need the DGPU to be active)
Thank you very much. I removed the P4200 and only used UMA graphics card. Now it can be properly and comfortably.

Is there any update in the EFI OC folder you shared? Do I need to replace? I have a problem now. Sometimes I use apple's earphones intermittently, but everything works fine with SONY.

Thank you very much. I removed the P4200 and only used UMA graphics card. Now it can be properly and comfortably.

Is there any update in the EFI OC folder you shared? Do I need to replace? I have a problem now. Sometimes I use apple's earphones intermittently, but everything works fine with SONY.
I noticed that headphones that have a built in microphone can cause problems with voodoohda kext. Don't know how to fix that though.

I noticed that headphones that have a built in microphone can cause problems with voodoohda kext. Don't know how to fix that though.
It turns out that I have been using headphones, but today I found out that my bigsur does not have a sound card. How do I need to set the sound card to drive it?

Can you help me look at my EFI file? Help me optimize the settings, I don't quite understand this, thank you very much for your help. See what is wrong with my settings. I have included the EFI file in the attachment.

I think our notebooks are the same, and the files should be mutually common. Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• config.plist
    44.5 KB · Views: 57
  • EFI.zip
    63.9 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
For audio using Voodoohda.kext in Big Sur/+ you need to disable sip, then install the kext in library/extensions and rebuild the kernel cache. Google for more exact instructions.

Last edited:
Back