Contribute
Register

HP ZBOOK G5 17

What software are you using to test your fan readings?
Can you post your sanitized ioreg and efi?
Istatmeus, basically every other I could find.
Attacing Ioreg and efi.

Attachments

• Unknown’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    7.6 MB · Views: 62
  • EFI.zip
    16.6 MB · Views: 61
Try this, also you need to download SMCSuperIO.kext from acidantera's github and place it in kexts folder

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 54
Worked first try!
You only changed the device properties, right?
Can me/you push a PR to acidanthera?
Thank you so much.
Screen_Shot_2021-08-11_at_10.10.46_AM.png

@theroadw The fan speed goes to zero after waking from sleep and starts monitoring after 4-5 minutes.
Any fix?

@theroadw The fan speed goes to zero after waking from sleep and starts monitoring after 4-5 minutes.
Any fix?
Weird, that doesn't happen on my machine, it could be your EC has some wake up lag of some sort.
Another possible variable is I'm using an older version of SMCSuperIO.kext (you can use that same one from the EFI I shared in page 3 in this thread)

Weird, that doesn't happen on my machine, it could be your EC has some wake up lag of some sort.
Another possible variable is I'm using an older version of SMCSuperIO.kext (you can use that same one from the EFI I shared in page 3 in this thread)
Yeah.. Maybe.
I am using the latest version off GitHub, should I use yours?
Or the latest build from dorrania build repo?
Thanks.

Yeah.. Maybe.
I am using the latest version off GitHub, should I use yours?
Or the latest build from dorrania build repo?
Thanks.
Test with each one, see if there's a difference.
If there isn't, it could be a sleep problem particular to your laptop that you need to investigate.

This is off topic. You should open a thread for your HP laptop model.

I apologize for that @theroadw, sorry for that.
And thank you so much for helping me, this was the only thing remaining thing!

After running extensive tests, I've now updated the video rom in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/hp-zbook-g5-17.266012/post-2158182

Thanks to @EdwardGeo this dual GPU laptop now works in Catalina/BigSur/Monterey using WX4170 card!!!

You will need to use atiflash software to flash your WX-4170 card (will also include a WX-4150 modified rom as soon as I have a copy) with the newly modified rom.
This rom will make our GPU work in Hybrid mode, and it performs like a dream.

If you prefer to use the GPU in discrete mode, the bios will inject it's own version of the rom, and thus will not be compatible past Mojave. (only High sierra and Mojave work 100% in discrete)

I'm also running TB3 and VT-D tests and will post updates when I have a successful TB3 Rom for our laptops.
** Updated EFI with these add-ons

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 12.35.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 12.33.58 AM.png

It looks like we don't need to flash the Thunderbolt rom to get all of it's features. Still need to test an apple thunderbolt display and connect directly to another Mac, but everything appears to be ok.

Last edited:
@theroadw Sorry for troubling you again but is it possible to control the fans?
At the moment, I am only able to see the fan readings.

Back