Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta): Ivy bridge support

I've read your conversation, but I don't think the LAN kext is the problem, at least not the whole problem. I'm also getting slow speeds (around 2-3 MB/s) when I try to copy files from/to my NAS (Zyxel NSA-310 running Linux-based firmware) via SMB and this is on WiFi link. Recently I enabled the build-in NFS feature and now I can transfer files from/to with the maximum speed, which my router (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, running OpenWRT 12.09 Final) allows me to use, which is around 8.5-9 MB/s (this is on my desktop with Atheros 9280 WiFi card, on my ProBook the speed is around 5-5.5 MB/s). Maybe Mieze is right about the Apple's SMB implementation, which indeed seem to be fundamentally flawed.

The performance problem is only with SMB and only with Mieze's kext. With slice's and lnx2mac I get acceptable performance to the same SMB share. And with Mieze's kext I get excellent performance from an AFP share. So it is a problem isolated to SMB+Mieze code. A sort of timing problem or a bug in the kext that only manifests itself with SMB.

Did a fresh install with b11 on 4540s. Works fine. :thumbup:

I have a problem. Since installing a fresh copy of 10.8.3 on my disk (OSX is the only one OS now) and using the 6.1b11 installer - sleep doesn't work. To be precise - my probook doesn't properly wake up, the screen lights up, the usual desktop appears but everything's frozen and the wifi led above the keyboard doesn't go white (it usually used to, now stays at orange). I've tried resetting EC, resetting BIOS settings, enabling the sleep fix from the Installer *and* disabling it... Also, system.log doesn't even record the wake event, so no Wake Reason etc.

Pmset:
Code:
[~] pmset -g assertions04.06.2013 19:30:58 CEST 
Assertion status system-wide:
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   UserIsActive                   0
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   BackgroundTask                 1

Listed by owning process:
  pid 166(helpd): [0x0000000c00000132] 00:04:26 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.helpd.sdmbuilding" 
  pid 43(mds): [0x0000000c0000012f] 00:04:38 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds" 

Kernel Assertions: None

What I'm thinking about that could be the case is the fact that I didn't install Chimera from the Installer after the first boot but went for Chameleon r2235 straight away. Could it be possible that, because of that, org.Chameleon.boot.plist is set up wrong? And thus causing troubles waking up the laptop?

Also, I even freshly-patched DSDT today. Fixed permissions and cleared kernel cache. No luck.

I have a problem. Since installing a fresh copy of 10.8.3 on my disk (OSX is the only one OS now) and using the 6.1b11 installer - sleep doesn't work. To be precise - my probook doesn't properly wake up, the screen lights up, the usual desktop appears but everything's frozen and the wifi led above the keyboard doesn't go white (it usually used to, now stays at orange). I've tried resetting EC, resetting BIOS settings, enabling the sleep fix from the Installer *and* disabling it... Also, system.log doesn't even record the wake event, so no Wake Reason etc.

Pmset:
Code:
[~] pmset -g assertions04.06.2013 19:30:58 CEST 
Assertion status system-wide:
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   UserIsActive                   0
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   BackgroundTask                 1

Listed by owning process:
  pid 166(helpd): [0x0000000c00000132] 00:04:26 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.helpd.sdmbuilding" 
  pid 43(mds): [0x0000000c0000012f] 00:04:38 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds" 

Kernel Assertions: None

What I'm thinking about that could be the case is the fact that I didn't install Chimera from the Installer after the first boot but went for Chameleon r2235 straight away. Could it be possible that, because of that, org.Chameleon.boot.plist is set up wrong? And thus causing troubles waking up the laptop?

Also, I even freshly-patched DSDT today. Fixed permissions and cleared kernel cache. No luck.

Do a fresh install without changing boot loader or installing anything else. Then verify sleep function.

Well, that was unexpected - I installed Chimera from the Installer on top of the Chameleon (overwriting it, I guess - Chameleon Wizard shows that indeed Chimera is installed on my disk) and the sleep/wake is working! I'll try to sleep/wake it several more times to make sure it's working and then I'll try reinstalling Chameleon again to see whether it is indeed Chameleon (or rather lack of Chimera) causing this. I'll edit this post with results.
Thanks for the reply, RehabMan.

edit: Yep, just as I suspected - I guess installing Chimera on the first use of the Installer after system installation is really recommended. I installed now Chameleon again (Enoch r2236 to be specific) and sleep/wake works just fine. I guess it's just that Chimera's gotta be the first one installed...

And for anyone wondering - I prefer Chameleon because:
a) it remembers last used brightness level
b) it doesn't show "unable to handle key..." messages on boot

Hi I have installed 10.8.3 using installer 6.1 beta and I am having trouble with my Log in Screen when booting up. The screen is displaced to the right and the resolution is lowered. I overcome this by logging in with my password anyway and then on the desktop I click on system preferences via the apple logo on the top left corner and select at the edge of the screen a lower resolution in the display options. The screen repositions itself correctly and I reselect the 1920x1080 resolution back to normal again. I have tried installing previous versions of the installer and must admit the problem is intermittent. I also have tried installing different versions of Chimera and again the problem doesn't go away once it is there. I have also tried both ATI and Intel graphics cards BIOS settings but the problem is still there. Is it a DSDT.aml problem? I am using an upgraded screen and my laptop is the LJ521UT#ABA from the United States.
I would really apreciate some help on this..... thanks.

Hi I have installed 10.8.3 using installer 6.1 beta and I am having trouble with my Log in Screen when booting up. The screen is displaced to the right and the resolution is lowered. I overcome this by logging in with my password anyway and then on the desktop I click on system preferences via the apple logo on the top left corner and select at the edge of the screen a lower resolution in the display options. The screen repositions itself correctly and I reselect the 1920x1080 resolution back to normal again. I have tried installing previous versions of the installer and must admit the problem is intermittent. I also have tried installing different versions of Chimera and again the problem doesn't go away once it is there. I have also tried both ATI and Intel graphics cards BIOS settings but the problem is still there. Is it a DSDT.aml problem? I am using an upgraded screen and my laptop is the LJ521UT#ABA from the United States.
I would really apreciate some help on this..... thanks.

This is likely a compatibility/EDID problem with your upgraded screen. What screen is it? I don't have an issue with my 1080p AUOv4.

You could try setting a resolution in org.chameleon.Boot.plist and see if it helps. Easy to do with Chameleon Wizard.

Sometimes my graphics card stops working and it crashes whole system. I have a Probook 4330s and when i look at system.log file after reboot i saw a line like "kernel[0]: **** Debug info for *possible* hang in MAIN graphics engine ****"

Anybody knows a fix for this problem? Thx

long shot. after following the probook guide, did u repair permissions and rebuild cache?

And for anyone wondering - I prefer Chameleon because:
a) it remembers last used brightness level
b) it doesn't show "unable to handle key..." messages on boot

Thanks for the info, I too was wondering about Chameleon as I'd like to get rid of the annoying boot messages.
Do you still need the blink fix for the brightness level to be remembered? or the brightness fix from the probook installer?

Back