i7-2630QM
Graphics
HD 6490M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

Have an ambitious plan for the ultimate HP ProBook 4730s installation using Chameleon, a 250GB SSD and a 750GB 5400 rpm spinning disk.

I wanted to have a 60GB Windows 7 boot partition on the SSD, a 100GB Fat32 storage partition on the 750GB spinning disk and the remainder of the space set up as a 190+650 GB Fusion drive.

I'm following NeilHart's guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-drive-using-tonymacx86-tools-chimera-28.html to set up a fusion drive, but I'm getting stuck on the

"cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/"

instruction. It keeps telling me -

"cp: /Volumes/Boot OS X is not a directory"

. Can anyone please help me get past this?

Would also appreciate any tips on guides for newbies that might help me get what I'm trying to do done? I'd really appreciate any help. I'll give you the usual excuses of having tried to search, but not really understanding the results...

Thanks in advance!

em

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I've updated my post with my latest hardware specs.

My volume names have always been less than eight basic ASCI characters with no spaces... Force of habit!

Whilst waiting for someone to help with this problem, I've temporarily abandoned my plans and set my system up with two boot partitions on the SSD, one 50GB Windows 7 one and the 200GB remaining space for the Mac OS. I put my user folder onto the second disk (internal with a caddy) and I've installed Windows 7 on the first partition, and Mavericks on the second. Although the system used to book to the Chameleon OS selector, since installing Windows on the first partition, it's now only booting to that and I have to put my MultiBeast created USB stick in so that I can select the Mac Partition to book from. Have you seen this? Any ideas as to what I need to do to sort this out?

Something else that's bothering me now is in Windows, I can't see the second hard drive that is installed in the CDROM caddy. Any clues on how I can get that fixed? That's my media drive and I need to access it from Windows too. Booting from OS X and it's working fine... ?

em

Firstly, the reason I mentioned not to use spaces was due to your quote

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]"cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/"[/COLOR]

If you had no spaces it would in fact be

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]"cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/"[/COLOR]

My personally opinion, is to abandon the idea, that is just my personal opinion, the reason being, you have far less control over your data/drives with a hybrid setup like fusion.
I believe only some of the later raid setups can handle data recovery at the loss of one drive in a similar setup (only info I've picked up here and there in other similar discussions)

Onto your current setup..

Did you ever use linux before?

The reason I ask is that you have moved your ~home location to another drive, the very same thing I did when moving from linux, the benefits are simply not there with OSX, its just not required with the use of time machine and all the other various backup tools we have available today.
The other downside is (or was for me until I purchased a usb 3.0 dvd drive) without that caddy in, you will not be able to log in, if you insist on keeping it that way, create another admin account who's ~home folder remains on the SSD!.

Windows has re-written your boot loader, you will need to install chameleon again, find any thread by Rehabman, clink on the link in his signature for his very well written multi boot guide, all the info you need will be there.

The second drive in your caddy, how did you format it?

If you can see it in OSX, open terminal and type

Code:
diskutil list

paste the results up

If you had no spaces it would in fact be

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]"cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/"[/COLOR]

Actually, that still has a space... This would be with no spaces:
Code:
cp boot /Volumes/BootOSX

I find it easier to deal with spaces by using quotes (instead of escaping the spaces):
Code:
cp boot "/Volumes/Boot OS X"

My personally opinion, is to abandon the idea, that is just my personal opinion, the reason being, you have far less control over your data/drives with a hybrid setup like fusion.

+1. Fusion is a big hassle with little to no (even negative) payoff. Especially if true when you have a large enough SSD to install the system(s) to.

Actually, that still has a space... This would be with no spaces:
Code:
cp boot /Volumes/BootOSX

My bad, I was actually thinking of my setup, where I use "OSX", and left the "boot" in place

as in

cp boot /Volumes/OSX

I wasn't even aware you could quote it instead, learn something new everyday :)

Hello again,

Thanks for the posts. I would have thought that the naming of the two partitions that are used with Fusion is outside my control and I tried once changing it, and the whole Fusion pairing fell apart.

The main attraction to me of using Fusion is that you get to have your home folder on the same partition as the system, which clearly is easier to manage from a "SuperDuper" nightly backup perspective, as well as obviously, no need to manage or be nervous of filling the very small SSD boot disk partition.

I'm now running it as separate partitions, with symlinks for Documents folder, iTunes media folders, Adobe SW install, Logic Instruments, etc, anything that's going to chew up space on the 200GB SSD boot disk is symlinked onto the spinning disk and for the most part it's working ok, but I'm seeing the Windows partition complaining intermittently of damage to the boot disk when I start it and I've not been able to pinpoint anything I’m doing in OSX land to cause it. It's not a critical issue now, but I'm worried about it...

Another issue I’m now having that I was wondering if you guys may have some insight into, is that the system is freezing after sleeping. I'll disconnect my home desktop monitor and USB devices, count to 30 and then close the lid. After a while it goes quite and the power button light will flash.

If I open it again, it happily comes to life and all is well, but I'll do my hour commute to work, open it again, and the log-in screen appears, the fan starts, but the system is frozen. I have to hold the power button in to shut it down and start it back up again.

Any clues as to what could be causing this? Could it be some sort of HP power management thing interfering with the sleep state and subsequent powerup?

Again, so very grateful for all your help and support.

Thanks,

em

Hello again,

Thanks for the posts. I would have thought that the naming of the two partitions that are used with Fusion is outside my control and I tried once changing it, and the whole Fusion pairing fell apart.

The main attraction to me of using Fusion is that you get to have your home folder on the same partition as the system, which clearly is easier to manage from a "SuperDuper" nightly backup perspective, as well as obviously, no need to manage or be nervous of filling the very small SSD boot disk partition.

I'm now running it as separate partitions, with symlinks for Documents folder, iTunes media folders, Adobe SW install, Logic Instruments, etc, anything that's going to chew up space on the 200GB SSD boot disk is symlinked onto the spinning disk and for the most part it's working ok, but I'm seeing the Windows partition complaining intermittently of damage to the boot disk when I start it and I've not been able to pinpoint anything I’m doing in OSX land to cause it. It's not a critical issue now, but I'm worried about it...

Another issue I’m now having that I was wondering if you guys may have some insight into, is that the system is freezing after sleeping. I'll disconnect my home desktop monitor and USB devices, count to 30 and then close the lid. After a while it goes quite and the power button light will flash.

If I open it again, it happily comes to life and all is well, but I'll do my hour commute to work, open it again, and the log-in screen appears, the fan starts, but the system is frozen. I have to hold the power button in to shut it down and start it back up again.

Any clues as to what could be causing this? Could it be some sort of HP power management thing interfering with the sleep state and subsequent powerup?

Again, so very grateful for all your help and support.

Thanks,

em

For sleep issue: Did you use "Sleep Image Fix" in the ProBook Installer?

Thats how mine is setup.

Im only using 38Gb of my 128Gb SSD, all folders like documents movies etc linked from HDD.

certainly doesn't cause me any issues with windows (I have windows on the HDD as a separate partition, rather than SSD)

Don't miss RM's response above regarding sleep!

Hi again,

Thanks for that. Just ran the installer and only checked the Sleep Fix option. I can do that, right? Only check a single thing and it will only fix that one thing? Haven't tested it out yet, but I will tonight.

Also, managed to get an Antheros DHXA-195, somehow thinking this would work, but it's also not on the whitelist. Do you guys know where I might find a BIOS for this 4730s that's got the whitelist removed?

Thanks,

em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back