Contribute
Register

HP OEM R9 255 2gb DDR5. Anyone familiar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Precision M6800
CPU
I7-4800M
Graphics
K3100M
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My brother gave me an HP OEM AMD R9 255 with 2gb of DDR5, since I'm totally broke right now. Though I have lots of pc parts, just no money. This is the only gpu I have that may work ok with a newer Mac os.

Questions/Problems:

Will this card work OOB with any Mac os's?

Is there a compatibility problem with the DDR5 version vs the DDR3 Version?

The DVI, DisplayPort are 100% working. The hdmi port is 100% BROKEN. Would this hamper my functionality with Hackintosh?

My brother gave me an HP OEM AMD R9 255 with 2gb of DDR5, since I'm totally broke right now. Though I have lots of pc parts, just no money. This is the only gpu I have that may work ok with a newer Mac os.

Questions/Problems:

Will this card work OOB with any Mac os's?

Not being funny, but try it and see. Our AMD resource lists show the earliest supported R9 was the 270. You never can be sure though as HP and Dell both used low-power GPU versions.

Is there a compatibility problem with the DDR5 version vs the DDR3 Version?

The DVI, DisplayPort are 100% working. The hdmi port is 100% BROKEN. Would this hamper my functionality with Hackintosh?

As long as your monitor has DVI or DisplayPort you should be okay. Don't rush to Monterey though, go earlier like Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave.

:)

Not being funny, but try it and see. Our AMD resource lists show the earliest supported R9 was the 270. You never can be sure though as HP and Dell both used low-power GPU versions.

As long as your monitor has DVI or DisplayPort you should be okay. Don't rush to Monterey though, go earlier like Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave.

I totally get where you're coming from.

I only have 1 goal of Hackintosh! Literally nothing else! My only purpose to make a Hackintosh is strictly for Imovie, if that's even possible anymore. I will use it for NOTHING ELSE.

Can anyone answer me this?
Is it POSSIBLE to get a decent working Imovie with any of this hardware???

Hardware at my disposal...
Ryzen 3700x + motherboards
Sandy bridge cpus + motherboards.
I could MAYBE repurpose one of my i3-8100 /b360 setups.
Gpu's 1050ti,gt 720 2gb,R9 255 2gb DDR5.

I care only about imovie, hardware acceleration, metal, etc.

I just want a dedicated imovie machine.

Thoughts?

p.s.
YES I understand you aren't offilliated with Dortania, but they clearly state the R9 255 is fully compatible up to the most current Mac os, for what it's worth....

IIs this a pipe dream?
I'm not looking for stellar performance on imovie. Just for it to work period.

Last edited:
The R9 255 is a supported dGPU, according to the Dortania GPU Buyers guide. Below is an extract for the R7/R9 cards.

Screenshot 2022-02-09 at 22.12.57.png

Read the Extra section towards the base of the screenshot, you may need both boot arguments mentioned when using your R9 255 card.

No it is not a pipe dream to get the Ryzen AMD, a Sandy Bridge or one of your i3 systems running macOS with the Nvidia GT 720 or AMD R9 255. Both of these cards are supported in macOS. The GT 720 only up to the final release of Big Sur. The AMD card will run Monterey.

The GTX 1050Ti is stuck at macOS High Sierra, as it requires the Nvidia Web Drivers to provide full acceleration.

Make a choice about which system you are going to use. Then we can help. At the moment it is all 'pie in the sky'.

The R9 255 is a supported dGPU, according to the Dortania GPU Buyers guide. Below is an extract for the R7/R9 cards.

View attachment 541616

Read the Extra section towards the base of the screenshot, you may need both boot arguments mentioned when using your R9 255 card.

No it is not a pipe dream to get the Ryzen AMD, a Sandy Bridge or one of your i3 systems running macOS with the Nvidia GT 720 or AMD R9 255. Both of these cards are supported in macOS. The GT 720 only up to the final release of Big Sur. The AMD card will run Monterey.

The GTX 1050Ti is stuck at macOS High Sierra, as it requires the Nvidia Web Drivers to provide full acceleration.

Make a choice about which system you are going to use. Then we can help. At the moment it is all 'pie in the sky'.

Good to know. :thumbup:

I have an old R7 265 in a box in a cupboard. Glad I can use it should I need another AMD card.

One of the things I really like about @Fl0r!an 's guide though is the extra detail about whether the card works OOB and what the minimum macOS/OS X version it was supported from, is etc. The R9 255 must be somewhere around 10.8. I'd guess.

Yes that was a very well written and helpful guide. I still refer to it when looking for information on AMD cards of a certain age.

Unfortunately it is now well out of date and way too long to wade through, to see if anyone added any relevant information for a specific card.

It was last updated to include the Vega series, but nothing has been added to the first post since.

I would assume that the 11 cards listed as requiring a Fake ID don’t work OOB. The rest should be ok, but may require one or both of the WEG boot arguments to work fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back