Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] Wi-Fi 6 Intel AX210 on macOS Sonoma

I have been trying out AirportItlwm, versions v.22 and the latest alpha v.23. In both cases, it appears to load just fine, but at the end of the loading process, no video (black screen). I note only one error (please see attached), although that error doesn't seem like it would affect the video.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Attachments

• 29114545.png
    29114545.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 45
That image implies that you have Airportitlwm.kext v2.3.0 included in the Kernel Cache. If that is the case you may not need Airportitlwm.kext in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder or config.plist.

Version 2.2.0 doesn't support macOS Sonoma, it only supports macOS High Sierra up to Ventura. You need the 2.3.0 Alpha release for Sonoma.

Do you have an entry in the DeviceProperties section of your config.plist for the Intel WiFi card? If yes, try removing it and see what difference that makes.

I do not have an entry in the Device Properties of my config.plist for the Intel card. Almost wish I did....

Yes, I knew 2.2.0 is not supposed to work with Sonoma, but I have a Ventura install on the same machine, so that's what I meant. Trying it out there. I used 2.3.0 (the alpha) for Sonoma.

So, as for Airportitlwm being in the Kernel cache, all I did was load it in the kexts section of my config.plist, so there was no intention of doing anything special there.

I guess I'll keep plugging away at this.....it just seems strange that Airportitlwm interferes with the video display, but, oh well......

Thanks for your quick response. Happy New Year!

Post a copy of your OC EFI folder, so we can see exactly what you are using. Just remember to delete/redact the serial number from the config.plist before posting a copy here.

Post a copy of your OC EFI folder, so we can see exactly what you are using. Just remember to delete/redact the serial number from the config.plist before posting a copy here.

So, I'm running Sonoma Beta 14.3 (2) and Airportitlwm is an alpha, so issues probably should be expected, especially on Intel hardware.

Thank you for the offer, but I'm going to let this sit for a while and see what happens. Appreciate your response, but this is my last hack and I only use it for beta purposes so it's just not urgent. Not anymore, at least.

Thanks for the information in this thread! It has helped to replace the Fenvi T919 card to the AX210 mentioned in the op's original post (already assembled version).

I have three NIC's in my rig. They are the Asus XG-C100C (10 Gig), the onboard Realtek family RTL8111 and now the AX210. I did follow the warnings about remapping the USB ports and completed that exercise to ensure Bluetooth would function. I do use Bluetooth for my headset in Zoom, Discord and such and this solution does work. System report does list Bluetooth as "THIRD_PARTY_DONGLE" and I consider that more cosmetic since I just want it pair with the headset.

I went the itlwm kext route since it claims to be more stable coupled with the HeliPort fork mentioned in the op's original post. At first things did not work as expected where the Asus 10 gig did not work in combination. There is some extra configuration to get the Asus working and I've posted in a prior 10 gig thread. So stupid me I panicked and deleted the itlwm service NIC. That made me remember the old days of going in to /Library/Preferences and deleting the network plists and rebooting to get the itiwm card back in play. The DisableIoMapper was required for the Asus 10 gig card and now needs not to be selected to make the AX210 card work. The primary reason for the WiFi card for me is that's where my printers are located (print from an iPhone etc). In the end all three NIC's are now functioning. I read all the I need the Air Drop functionality but I use Nextcloud so it's less important for me, but I hear you all.

I currently have three Internet pipes, AT&T 5 gig, Comcast 1 gig down 40 mbps up and T-Mobile (cellular). The following images show a decent performance coming from the AX210 for a WiFi card. As an aside, I have found through my multi-gig transition that the Realtek NIC's (1 gig or 2.5 gig) just don't do well on the download side. This is true in macOS, Windows or Linux. However, I have found the Asus 10 gig card to work consistently (almost like Intel server cards). Take a look at the images and decide for yourself. Oh, my primary is the Asus on AT&T which is obviously the fastest.

AX210-ATT.jpg

AT210-Comcast.jpg

AX210-TMobile.jpg

Realtek-ATT.jpg

Asus-ATT.jpg

Hi,

I'm having two questions:

1) Does AirPlay work? I have a bunch of Sonos speakers that I like to use. Currently, (without working Wi-Fi) they do not.
Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 17.03.45.png

2) Does this card work? I would need Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for my keyboard. Wi-Fi seems to work.

Thanks for a quick reply.

Does AirPlay work? I have a bunch of Sonos speakers
From post #1: As a main drawback, the features of the Apple ecosystem are lost (all with itlwm.kext and most with AirportItlwm.kext). Airdrop does not work in any way and this is the feature that I miss the most with respect to the Fenvi.

@root2

Limitation of AirportItlwm.kext

Itlwm.kext: no Apple eco-system feature.

The card you comment is AX210 so it must work with any of the above kexts.

Very small issue.

Hackintool by headkaze has an Extensions tab where it reports the installed kexts.

In the list of kexts, itlwm is seen when we use itlwm and also when we use AirportItlwm. This is because, in the file /Applications/Hackintool.app/Contents/Resources/Kexts/kexts.plist, both kexts have Name=itlwm.

This is correct since the project is called itlwm. But I prefer Hackintool to show AirportItlwm when this is the active kext.

This can be solved by modifying the value of the Name property in the AirportItlwm key.

By default it is like this:

itlwm name.png

Hackintool itlwm.png

But, changing to Name=AirportItlwm, Hackintool displays the active kext in a way I like better.

AirportItlwm name.png

Hackintool AirportItlwm.png

Back