Contribute
Register

How To Use Intel GPU Without Unplugging 1050?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME B360M-A
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX 580
I finally have Mojave up and running on a new build. Anyone who wants to see my struggle can see this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-garbled-text-and-circle-with-a-slash.268624/

My main issue right now is graphics. Since the 1050 is not supported until nvidia releases drivers, has anyone figured out a temporary workaround?

The Intel graphics do not seem to be working as long as the 1050 is in the system. (Monitor gets no signal when plugged into Intel HDMI) Is there a way to bypass the 1050 and default to Intel without physically unplugging the card? Since I'm gaming in Windows it's a bitch to unplug the card every time I need to switch over...

Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

I finally have Mojave up and running on a new build. Anyone who wants to see my struggle can see this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-garbled-text-and-circle-with-a-slash.268624/

My main issue right now is graphics. Since the 1050 is not supported until nvidia releases drivers, has anyone figured out a temporary workaround?

The Intel graphics do not seem to be working as long as the 1050 is in the system. (Monitor gets no signal when plugged into Intel HDMI) Is there a way to bypass the 1050 and default to Intel without physically unplugging the card? Since I'm gaming in Windows it's a bitch to unplug the card every time I need to switch over...

Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Can you set the BIOS to make the Intel graphics the default before attempting to boot Mojave?

I'm not sure where that is in ASUS BIOS but I'll try to find it. I just upgraded from a 9 year old hackintosh with legacy BIOS so I'm still figuring this out.

This is a very common Black Screen problem with Coffee Lake CPUs. It's due to incorrect BusIDs for some of the framebuffer connectors.

See this post by someone with an Asus H370M motherboard:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ntel-i7-8700-hd630.256513/page-5#post-1855339

You could try copying the Devices --> Properties to your config.plist, or you could try to find the right solution for your particular case:

This post explains the solution for my Gigabyte Z390. You may need to use Intel FB-Patcher to experiment with your own board and use this as a guide.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-35#post-1884159

Some guidelines (first see screenshots in above link):
  • If you can boot Mojave with your 1050 Ti, do so, then run Intel FB-Patcher. From the Framebuffer menu bar, select "Mojave ...". Then select the Connectors pane in FB-Patcher.
  • Your motherboard has VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI. Ideally you should have (or borrow) a monitor that can accept VGA, one that can accept DVI-D and one that can accept HDMI. If a single monitor can accept all three, that's great. You don't need multiple monitors unless no single monitor has all three ports.
  • Start by connecting VGA. One of the rows in FB-Patcher will highlight in red. Note down the row number.
  • Then disconnect VGA and connect DVI-D. A different row in FB-Patcher should be highlighted. Note down the row number.
  • The row that DID NOT get highlighted contains your HDMI connection.
  • Set the TYPE of this row to HDMI. If the previous DVI-D and VGA row TYPES were incorrect, you should correct them as well.
  • Then try swapping the BUS ID between the DVI-D row and this row.
  • Generate and apply the patch to your config.plist.
  • Reboot with your 1050 Ti still connected.
  • When you log in, run FB-Patcher and now connect HDMI cable and check result.
NOTE: This procedure will only work if DVI-D and VGA ports are live.

Thanks. Should I try replacing my config.plist from the one 'vonrussel' posted in that thread first?
Also, is it necessary to install Whatevergreen or can I just run the IntelFB-Patcher and use the steps you listed?

Oh and I found the option in BIOS to enable iGPU as default, I still get the black screen when booting Mojave with iGPU plugged in.

Thanks. Should I try replacing my config.plist from the one 'vonrussel' posted in that thread first?
Also, is it necessary to install Whatevergreen or can I just run the IntelFB-Patcher and use the steps you listed?

Oh and I found the option in BIOS to enable iGPU as default, I still get the black screen when booting Mojave with iGPU plugged in.
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen are mandatory for this. You can install them into CLOVER/kexts/Other for now.
  • You should not replace your entire config.plist. Instead, you may copy the Devices --> Properties section or just upload your config.plist and I'll make the changes. We also have to disable "Inject Intel" if it's enabled. IntelGFX must also be blanked out. And ig-platform-id in Graphics section should also be blanked out.
  • Fortunately your motherboard's video ports are identical to vonrussel's so there's a good chance this will work.

I already have whatevergreen and lilu in my kexts/other folder.
If you wouldn't mind making the edit of my config.plist I'd be eternally indebted to you! I don't trust myself to do it and not screw something up.
If I can get iGPU working I have a fully functional build aside from restart/shut down not working.

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.2 KB · Views: 144
I already have whatevergreen and lilu in my kexts/other folder.
If you wouldn't mind making the edit of my config.plist I'd be eternally indebted to you! I don't trust myself to do it and not screw something up.
If I can get iGPU working I have a fully functional build aside from restart/shut down not working.
Attached is the modified config.plist. The SMBIOS section is empty -- so please restore that section if you removed it prior to upload.

Standard Disclaimer: I don't have this motherboard so I'm unable to test the changes. Hence, no guarantees. If this causes you to lose video output altogether, simply boot from your USB flash disk and copy the original config.plist back.

Attachments

• config-TheJMan.plist
    10.8 KB · Views: 162
I've had the SMBIOS section empty, but it's booting fine as is so maybe I should leave it alone?
I'll back up my original config.plist and replace it if I run into issues.

I've had the SMBIOS section empty, but it's booting fine as is so maybe I should leave it alone?
I'll back up my original config.plist and replace it if I run into issues.
Not sure what consequences that might have, but okay to try. I would suggest iMac14,2 next, followed by iMac18,1.

We'll fix shutdown/restart once this is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back