Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> How to preserve System / Computer ID´s when installing from Scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo Thinkpad E570
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Geniuses!

i couldnt find something via the search engine, although im pretty sure this question was asked before - so, sorry if im creating kind of a double thread.

i have a good running high sierra system and would like to upgrade to mojave, but with a fresh install. mainly because i think i had my high sierra install with a few flaws, unnecessary kexts and stuff. as its been a while since then and i got no clue how to "clean" this up, i´d like to start fresh.

my concern to this is, that i have a huge collection of audio plugins, DAW´s and so on which are registered to this very computer id and to change that, you need to get in contact with the dev´s, begging for a "new" license (e.g. Ableton Live). as this is time consuming, i was wondering if there is a way to kind of backup the data which these plugins are connected too (which in fact i dont even know what id´s these could be).

so, can anyone please tell me:
- what id´s these plugins and daws rely on
-if and how i could "backup" them and paste it to my fresh install

the computer specs are the build nr2 in my signature

i hope you understand my question - as i am no native english speaker :)
thanks in advance and greetings from vienna!

CONCLUSION:
if you cant deactivate your plugins on your own, it´s pretty risky to try a fresh install. problem not really solved, but yeah - i gotta live with it :)

Last edited:
Hey Geniuses!

i couldnt find something via the search engine, although im pretty sure this question was asked before - so, sorry if im creating kind of a double thread.

i have a good running high sierra system and would like to upgrade to mojave, but with a fresh install. mainly because i think i had my high sierra install with a few flaws, unnecessary kexts and stuff. as its been a while since then and i got no clue how to "clean" this up, i´d like to start fresh.

my concern to this is, that i have a huge collection of audio plugins, DAW´s and so on which are registered to this very computer id and to change that, you need to get in contact with the dev´s, begging for a "new" license (e.g. Ableton Live). as this is time consuming, i was wondering if there is a way to kind of backup the data which these plugins are connected too (which in fact i dont even know what id´s these could be).

so, can anyone please tell me:
- what id´s these plugins and daws rely on
-if and how i could "backup" them and paste it to my fresh install

the computer specs are the build nr2 in my signature

i hope you understand my question - as i am no native english speaker :)
thanks in advance and greetings from vienna!

Hi there,

It depends on the software involved. Some only use basic UUID type checks, while others use tricky disk sector mods. I remember a big software house telling a customer there was no way they were going to reveal their hidden data because if they did that people could get around their copy-protection and pirate stuff. I make a point to steer clear of devs like this but understand it isn't always possible.

I hope I'm wrong for your software.

If there is an option remember to "de-activate" any software you can and "de-authorise" it. Just like iTunes.

Check with the different software companies for guidance before you reformat.

Good luck!

:)

thanks for your reply!

there are a few companies where im able to de-activate, but ableton live for example just gives you two activations and theres no chance to deactivate on your own. i had the problem before, where i just didnt knew what i was doing and played around with the data in smbios and system parameters in clover. my activations where lost and i had to send them an email, why i would need more activations. it took them like a week or so which was.....pretty annoying to say the least ;-)

bearing that in mind, i think i´ll stick with high sierra until i REALLY need to upgrade.

so, thanks again. even if you didnt get me the answer i was hoping for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back