Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS High Sierra Public Beta Installation USB

@nathtiek, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Congratulations on your Hackintosh!

I'm using FakeSMC.kext only. Attached is my config.plist.

BIOS settings: Loaded optimized defaults, changed storage boot option control to UEFI, disabled SW guard extensions, disabled the serial ports, enabled XHCI Hand-off, disabled VT-d.
Hey AnAppleADay!

I built the rig:

* GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 1151

* Intel I7-7700K

* AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB

* Ballistix Sport LT 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

• SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe

* OWC 240GB Mercury Accelsior E2

* 500 GB SSD Scandisk

* Dual SeikiPro 27” 4K Monitors

Used High Sierra Beta Guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-sierra-public-beta-installation-usb.225520/

Used Clover 4184 and only injected FakeSMC.kext

I did the basic USB creation using your (AnAppleADay’s) config.plist & BIOS settings:

BIOS settings: Loaded optimized defaults, changed storage boot option control to UEFI, disabled SW guard extensions, disabled the serial ports, enabled XHCI Hand-off, disabled VT-d.

The first boot was from the USB and I installed unto the NVMe, It auto re-booted, I press F-12 and booted from the NVMe and continued the install, It auto re-booted, I press F-12 and booted from the NVMe and the install got to the third re-boot and the NVMe drive and any other drives disappeared and only the USB Install drive is present.

I created a few iterations of the Install USBs of Betas 10.12.55 & 10.12.57 and the stock config.Plist, to no avail. It still installs until it reaches the last boot stage and the drives disappear.

I would appreciate any help in this matter!

Hey AnAppleADay!

The first boot was from the USB and I installed unto the NVMe, It auto re-booted, I press F-12 and booted from the NVMe and continued the install, It auto re-booted, I press F-12 and booted from the NVMe and the install got to the third re-boot and the NVMe drive and any other drives disappeared and only the USB Install drive is present.

I created a few iterations of the Install USBs of Betas 10.12.55 & 10.12.57 and the stock config.Plist, to no avail. It still installs until it reaches the last boot stage and the drives disappear.

I would appreciate any help in this matter!

Awesome, congrats on the progress!

Fear not, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Are you using Apple Filesystem? Probably yes. If yes, you'll need to you put apfs.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/. See also https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/install-high-sierra-public-beta-to-a-new-partition-apfs.226446/

Thank you! I am using "GUID" Mac OS X Extended Journaled), but I did try APFS and it didn't work either. I will try APFS in the refi.

OK. Sorry if these suggestions are too simple/obvious. Another question I had is when you boot from your USB device, does Clover display an entry to boot from the SSD? If yes, does booting the SSD via the USB device function? (This isn't a long term fix, just trying to understand what is going on)

Last edited:
OK. Sorry if these suggestions are too simple/obvious. Another question I had is when you boot from your USB device, does Clover display an entry to boot from the SSD? If yes, does booting the SSD via the USB device function?
No! When I first boot from the USB, Clover only displays the USB to boot from. Neither the NVMs nor SSD are displayed.

UPDATE: I also made a USB with the APFS.efi injected and it booted, but wouldn't start the install.

Now I see what is occurring! High Sierra Installer is converting the drive to the APFS during installation! It makes a container of the OS in the APFS format, so it doesn't display.

UPDATE: 8-28-2017:

I finally got it to install!

This time I used the config.plist sample from the guide. Injected FakeSMC.kext, APFS.efi

I changed NVMe to APFS and it showed up as a square block with yellow and black icons.

The installation went well. I just need audio and internet.

I will be adding on other peripherals like WIFI after I get the essentials going.

Last edited:
No! When I first boot from the USB, Clover only displays the USB to boot from. Neither the NVMs nor SSD are displayed.

UPDATE: I also made a USB with the APFS.efi injected and it booted, but wouldn't start the install.

Now I see what is occurring! High Sierra Installer is converting the drive to the APFS during installation! It makes a container of the OS in the APFS format, so it doesn't display.

UPDATE: 8-28-2017:

I finally got it to install!

This time I used the config.plist sample from the guide. Injected FakeSMC.kext, APFS.efi

I changed NVMe to APFS and it showed up as a square block with yellow and black icons.

The installation went well. I just need audio and internet.

I will be adding on other peripherals like WIFI after I get the essentials going.

Nice work! Posting the update is pretty helpful to other people later who have the same difficulty, thanks for doing that!

You're going to find that some apps aren't very stable yet in High Sierra, e.g Chrome video streaming (Safari works). Just be patient, I'd say.

Nice work! Posting the update is pretty helpful to other people later who have the same difficulty, thanks for doing that!

You're going to find that some apps aren't very stable yet in High Sierra, e.g Chrome video streaming (Safari works). Just be patient, I'd say.
Thanks AnAppleADay!

JPEG image-F49BC57D9D08-1.jpeg

I followed this thread's first post to create a high sierra usb installer. After the clover boot loader, I get the apple, the load bar, then before the installer pops up, I get this image above. I've waited for a few hours now. Should I keep waiting or what else can I try?

I've skimmed through all the posts in this thread and nothing seems to have helped, including changes in bios settings.

Your help is much appreciated.

View attachment 275258

I followed this thread's first post to create a high sierra usb installer. After the clover boot loader, I get the apple, the load bar, then before the installer pops up, I get this image above. I've waited for a few hours now. Should I keep waiting or what else can I try?

I've skimmed through all the posts in this thread and nothing seems to have helped, including changes in bios settings.

Your help is much appreciated.
Turn the monitor off and then on again. I got that image but didn't realized the installer already pop up.

Back