Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

A little more info...
It will turn on, lights come on, HDs spin for about 2 seconds then it will restart the process.

I can take the card out and it boots up fine. It does this on both PCI slots.[/quote]

can't be certain but it might be faulty
any bleeping?[/quote]

One beep, lights come on, fans spin, power off... this will continue until I shut off the PSU from the back.[/quote]

my bet is something is faulty
are u sure its inserted correctly

nige2000 said:

I ended up sending the airport card back and having a new one shipped. I'm thinking that it's the problem. Will report back when it comes in. Hopefully I wont have to do the same for the PCI-E adapter.

mills said:
nige2000 said:

I ended up sending the airport card back and having a new one shipped. I'm thinking that it's the problem. Will report back when it comes in. Hopefully I wont have to do the same for the PCI-E adapter.

pain in the ass

wouldn't surprise me if its the adapter
quality control on them things are nearly non existent

Just put together an airport card using a mini-pcie - pcie x1 adapter purchased on eBay and an airport extreme card with an Atheros chipset.

It's showing up as an airport card and working splendidly under 10.6.8/64 bit.

Just a heads up as the BCM94322 cards seem to be commanding quite a premium on ebay these days.

Attached is a system profiler screenshot for details.

Attachments

• airport.tiff
    104 KB · Views: 196
Dear mate,
You are the Master of D.I.Y!

Riad said:
So is there a MAC address that is supposed to show up for this card? I haven't noticed it till now but does any one see a MAC address for the card?

Thanks
yup there is. Profiler -> Network -> Location :)

Just completed this mod. System Profiler detects it as an Airport Extreme card and everything, but the Locale and Country Code is set to JP / Japan. I'm in the US.. :X Does this affect anything? I bought an Apple branded (2006) Broadcom BCM4321 wifi card through eBay. Does anyone know how to change it it from JP to US? Or it's more of a cosmetic thing?

I bought an Apple Broadcom BCM4321 mini-pci-e card from eBay, and a mini-pci to pci-express x1 converter, and it worked PERFECTLY... :headbang:

I put this on my Socket 775 Hackintosh, and I get 5GHz service from my Airport Extremer with no problems.

musket said:
I have the BCM4322 mini-pci with the pci-e adapter setup but I can't get it to work with 10.6.8.

(The above works under Win7 after installing the driver. Win7 doesn't autoinstall the driver for this)

Any help for getting the 4322 to work under 10.6.8?

Thanx

I am in the same boat. I did see something about rebranding your network card on the Prasys's Blog.

http://prasys.info/2009/12/rebranding-b ... s-airport/

I will try this later and see if that solves the problem.

halfpint1210 said:
musket said:
I have the BCM4322 mini-pci with the pci-e adapter setup but I can't get it to work with 10.6.8.

(The above works under Win7 after installing the driver. Win7 doesn't autoinstall the driver for this)

Any help for getting the 4322 to work under 10.6.8?

Thanx

I am in the same boat. I did see something about rebranding your network card on the Prasys's Blog.

http://prasys.info/2009/12/rebranding-b ... s-airport/

I will try this later and see if that solves the problem.

It may be a long time before we can (ever) get the 4322 with the ID 4357 to work. I don't think you can get the 4322 to be 'backward' compatible with 4321. (Mistake on my part when buying the card).

For those that want to get wireless working, I suggest you get the 4321 not the 4322 card on ebay. (I got one in my wife's SnowyWind setup. Have to wait for that machine to died a meaningful death before I can harvest that card for use :)

It is actually cheaper and less troublesome.

Back