Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

I currently use a Trendnet USB wireless-N adapter, works great, typical transfer speed 9-11 MB/s (80-100 Mb/s). Only downside is I have to run a 6 ft USB extension cable and hang the adapter on the wall, looks tacky and everytime I boot OSX the Trendnet wireless app starts up and I have to close it everytime. My questions are 1. how's the transfer speed on the airport card and link quality and 2. do I have to "rebrand" a non-apple airport card?

camaroqqq said:
Just ordered these. Ill let you know if they work....as generic as it gets!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 4287wt_905

don't buy from this buyer!!!
i bought one, sent to me in a week time, but is malfuction!! led light at the back is not on and never can receive any wireless signal. Email to buyer but no reply!

without a choice now i have to buy another one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... SA:MY:1123

will update you guy after i receive and test it.

just received my cards... installed the airport card to the pci-e, installed into my computer... the computer will not boot with the card installed. any clues?

mills said:
just received my cards... installed the airport card to the pci-e, installed into my computer... the computer will not boot with the card installed. any clues?

i have exact components working
what exactly is it doing when you turn it on
be specific

nige2000 said:
mills said:

be specific

A little more info...
It will turn on, lights come on, HDs spin for about 2 seconds then it will restart the process.

I can take the card out and it boots up fine. It does this on both PCI slots.

So is there a MAC address that is supposed to show up for this card? I haven't noticed it till now but does any one see a MAC address for the card?

Thanks

mills said:
nige2000 said:
mills said:

be specific

A little more info...
It will turn on, lights come on, HDs spin for about 2 seconds then it will restart the process.

can't be certain but it might be faulty
any bleeping?

I have the BCM4322 mini-pci with the pci-e adapter setup but I can't get it to work with 10.6.8.

(The above works under Win7 after installing the driver. Win7 doesn't autoinstall the driver for this)

Any help for getting the 4322 to work under 10.6.8?

Thanx

nige2000 said:
mills said:
mills said:

A little more info...

can't be certain but it might be faulty
any bleeping?

One beep, lights come on, fans spin, power off... this will continue until I shut off the PSU from the back.

macnewbie21 said:
I currently use a Trendnet USB wireless-N adapter, works great, typical transfer speed 9-11 MB/s (80-100 Mb/s). Only downside is I have to run a 6 ft USB extension cable and hang the adapter on the wall, looks tacky and everytime I boot OSX the Trendnet wireless app starts up and I have to close it everytime. My questions are 1. how's the transfer speed on the airport card and link quality and 2. do I have to "rebrand" a non-apple airport card?

update:
I got my Broadcom BCM94322MC and installed it in my Dell D620 running OSX, works perfectly, 10-11 MB/s (90-100 Mb/s). System profile says "Third-party" but it works fine so far. Now, just waiting for adapter card for my desktop.

Back