Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

Well I performed the "prasys" steps to alter the vendor id, etc. and it doesn't affect sleep. It works the same either way. Now I can't be certain if my machine was sleeping correctly before I swapped cards... ( it definitely was at some point!)

I will say - going from G to 5GHz N feels like being on a wired network. Quite surprising. (in both Windows and OSX) Consistent 1ms pings to my modem where with G or even 2.4GHz I get a variety of latency and even dropped packets.

ljybowser said:
I don't use sleep because I can't wake my osx86 up :(

have you tried sleepenabler? I used one and sleep and wake works fine. :thumbup:

I used this method and the card was recognized as an airport card. But it couldn't detect any network. yes it could detect the network created on my laptop but not my router which is 10m away. I tried to replace the antenna but no avail. any reply is appreciated any sorry for my English.

The last piece of my card (the mPCIe bridge) arrived today. The AirPort came last week. The build went fairly easily, if a bit fiddly. The bridge is one of those without standoffs for the screws, but I found that a motherboard screw tightened from underneath the bridge secures it well, while holding against the mPCIe slot's spring to level it out.

Windows had no trouble installing it (something that worried me while waiting for the parts), and OS X was very happy with it. It worked okay as the sole connected adapter, but seemed a bit sluggish in Windows - my mail is stored on a NAS for use in Thunderbird on both platforms, and switching inboxes would lock up Thunderbird for a spell. My iTunes library loaded slower, too, but I suspect it's more throughput than anything else (270mbps vs 1000). I'm running both AirPort and onboard ethernet in OS X without issues right now, with the router less than 2 metres directly above the rig.

This working with 10.6.8? Sandy Bridge?

works with 10.6.8 & lion

Back