Contribute
Register

How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card

featherodd said:
Which wifi card / pci-e adapter are you peeps having the best success with?
is the BCM94322MC still tops?
doesn't sound like the Winking adapter available anymore.

noticed these links show up a couple times :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-PCI-E-PCI-E-Wi ... 4284wt_907
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-PCI-E-PCI-E-Wi ... 4284wt_907

which seem incredibly / disconcertingly inexpensive!

what's the best bet is right now?

Thanks in advance :)

side note: been using an Airport Express as a wifi card for my HackPro but would love to free it up, as wel as be able to ad hoc my iPad to control Ableton w/ Touchable & Griid Pro :D
I have a variant of that card (In my Build list link has the info) biggest thing is to make sure they are 3.3v

eelhead: thanks man. just ordered the same gear. sick build btw. massive props for the Mac Pro case :)

featherodd said:
eelhead: thanks man. just ordered the same gear. sick build btw. massive props for the Mac Pro case :)
Thank you very much :D
Yeah I haven't had any issues with the home made airport card even in Windows 7.
I know the other guide said to use the Winking but I couldn't find anywhere lol.

I have a Mini PCI-E to PCI converter that I want to use with this. But it has only one antenna.

Will that work too? Or does it ned two?

would i be right in saying all apple branded mini pci cards will work in this mod
and that there is a good chance that any mini pci card with the same chipset as an apple branded card should work too

just asking cos BCM94322MC is getting hard to come by were i live :thumbdown:
and if u found one u couldnt buy it :thumbdown:

ljybowser said:
I bought a BCM94322 wi-fi card, but mistakenly got the non-apple branded one.

However, it still works flawlessly in my OSX86 :thumbup:
Yeah they still will work 90% of the time as well as come up as an Airport at times :)

ljybowser said:
I bought a BCM94322 wi-fi card, but mistakenly got the non-apple branded one.

However, it still works flawlessly in my OSX86 :thumbup:
Does sleep work? I got one that shows up as Airport but "Third-Party Wireless Card" and network wise it works great, but doesn't properly goto sleep and definitely wont' wake from the borked sleep state.

Back