Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, thanks. Looks like I'm on the right track... however, if I have 1 display plugged into each gfx card I get this weird screen glitch and the computer is barely useable. If I have 2 screens in the top card, it works perfect. If I have 1 screen only in the bottom card it works perfect. If I have 2 screens in the bottom card I get black screen at boot up, any thoughts? View attachment 383058
View attachment 383059
0128191337-jpg.383060
0128191338-jpg.383063

View attachment 383065

Maybe a web driver issue? No idea.. why don't you just connect both screens to the upper GPU and that's it?

Anyway.. Why the GPU in slot-4 figures as "build-in" in section "PCI" of Apple's system report?

Upload your two NVIDIA SSDTs and an IOREG.save without both SSDTs and Whatsevergreen in your EFI-folder and I will cross-check tomorrow your current SSDT NVIDIA implementations.

Now I am off to bed.. Good night world

Thus, the remaining issue on wake from sleep with TB devices connected during sleep to the TTR PCIe Adapter on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe (KP) seems definitely ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe BIOS firmware related. Unfortunately, ASUS refused to fix this issue up to know, although I repeatedly addressed the issue to the ASUS support hotline.

Does ASUS respond to any firmware issues that aren't affecting Windows (or Linux)?
If I understand the issue correctly, it is an Intel TB controller error of some kind. So that: only Intel could provide a firmware update, which would require a separate firmware update, and one that is not located within the main motherboard bios. And thus out of ASUS direct control or influence. Complaining to ASUS without any associated & documented Windows or Linux problem seems not, in this case, to be geared toward a satisfactory solution.

Does ASUS respond to any firmware issues that aren't affecting Windows (or Linux)?
If I understand the issue correctly, it is an Intel TB controller error of some kind. So that: only Intel could provide a firmware update, which would require a separate firmware update, and one that is not located within the main motherboard bios. And thus out of ASUS direct control or influence. Complaining to ASUS without any associated & documented Windows or Linux problem seems not, in this case, to be geared toward a satisfactory solution.

ASUS many times considered my requests for modifying firmware to remove issues related to macOS. The implementation of BIOS function "MSR lock Disable" in any X299 ASUS firmware is one example, where they even abandoned their default MSR lock strategy implemented on all former ASUS motherboards! But one has to resist in forcing them to act. They won't do it at first request, and you will have to escalate your case within ASUS.

In my opinion, the remaining KP on wake from sleep issue with TB devices connected to the TTR PCIe controller on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe during sleep is definitely an ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe firmware issue out of any Intel responsibility, as the TTR PCIe controller works absolutely flawless with the ASUS X299 Sage WS 10GB. It is definitely some S4 issue induced by the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe firmware, likely related to the fact that the TTR PCIe controller is the only PCIe adapter not properly recognised under PEGP in the motherboards BIOS. While for all other PCIe adapters PEGP states, x1, X4, X8 or X16, for the TTR one only finds "not regonized" for any PCI x16 slot attributed to the TTR. As stated above, on the ASUS X299 Sage WS 10GB, the TTR PCIe adapter works absolutely flawless.

There are no other issues related to the TTR PCIe controller on ASUS mainboards and everything apparently works flawless under macOS including TB and USB-C HotPlug and even sleep/wake at least in case of the ASUS X299 Sage WS 10GB, always provided that one also uses SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml in addition. Thus in principle, also the onboard TTR controller of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II should work flawless, as long properly considered and implement in the firmware of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II, moreover, as there is also no need to remove the THB_C (non-existent for any TB onboard controller) from the TTR PCIe adapter for enabling HotPlug under macOS. It don't see any responsibility of Intel in this case, sorry.

I thought that I clearly outlined this in post #11,842.

The only difference between the onboard and PCIe TTR controllers is that the primer is implemented on the the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II via PCH, while the latter is usually implemented via PCIe, like in case of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe. However, on the ASUS X299 Sage WS 10GB there is only one PCIe slot to be used with TB controllers, and exactly this slot uses PCH lanes (PCI0.RP05.PXSX). And it is just the ASUS X299 Sage WS 10GB, where the TTR PCIe adapter works absolutely flawless and does not even reveal KP on wake from sleep with TB devices connected during sleep (like in case of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe). Also TB and USB-C HotPlug work absolutely flawless, always provided that the ACPI path and ACPI replacements in SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml have been properly adopted and the latter is implemented in the EFI-Folder.

PCI0.RP05.PXSX is also used for the onboard TTR controller of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II. Thus, SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II and the ASUS X299 Sage WS 10GB is identical and can be used for both motherboards without any further modification or adaptation.

I just sent the following request to ASUS, hope it helps:

Code:
Case No.: E1901190817 (status:In Progress)
Date: 2019/01/29 11:13:38.070 (UTC Time)

ASUS X299 firmware incompatibility issues with TTR onboard controller or GC-TTR PCIe adapter under macOS.
While everything works flawless with the GC-TTR PCIe adapter on the ASUS X299 Sage WS 10GB, there is one
remaining issue with this adapter on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe and there are severe issue with the TTR
onboard controller of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II under macOS.

Please see:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-build-your-own-imac-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/post-1898366

and

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-build-your-own-imac-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/post-1898696

for details.

Eagerly looking forward to receive your response. I was addressing these issues already repeatedly to ASUS.

Unfortunately, so far, ASUS did not act or respond in consequence. It is indeed an urgent issue that requires

its solution. The entire respective community is already upset and asks for immediate solutions.

Many thanks for your comprehension, collaboration and help in the related issues.

KGP

All other affected users might want to address their issues to ASUS in the same way.

If ASUS is really not responsible at all, they can at least request the necessary modifications from Intel in their own interest.

If you still think that the issue should be addressed to Intel only, you are free to do it asap and everybody will appreciate your endeavour.

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
ASUS many times considered my requests for modifying firmware to remove issues related to macOS.

Okay. I just think a better approach would be to show exactly how any such firmware error may also be affecting another more commonly used operating system. Most importantly: Windows 10 64-bit. If the problem is a macOS-only problem, then ASUS would tend to delay consideration or simply ignore it.
If it can't be documented to ASUS to be a problem when running Windows and/or Linux, then your chances of getting something resolved with ASUS seems somewhat unlikely.

Last edited:
Okay. I just think a better approach would be to show exactly how any such firmware error may also be affecting another more commonly used operating system. Most importantly: Windows 10 64-bit. If the problem is a macOS-only problem, then ASUS would tend to delay consideration or simply ignore it.

Perfectly fine with me.. if you think that you are able to attack problems in a better or more clever way, just do it! :thumbup: BTW.. the problems under discussion are macOS only and just claiming that therefore "ASUS would tend to delay consideration or simply ignore it" is neither a helpful nor a really valuable or constructive contribution in solving the respective issues. If I would have previously shared such opinion, we would not have reached several X299 firmware modifications in benefit of macOS and in collaboration with ASUS. I guess there is some valid hope that ASUS might consider the mentioned issues and work on possible solutions (as their firmware is optimised for Windows at first place) and even if the latter would not be the case, it was at least some active attempt to move things for better. However, I am certainly and definitely not the only person able to write to the industry and I am sure that the community will more than appreciate other helpful and parallel attempts by yourself and others.

All the best,

KGP

Last edited:
the problems under discussion are macOS only and just claiming that therefore "ASUS would tend to delay consideration or simply ignore it" is

Sorry: I don't personally own any ASUS hardware.
In case you're forgetting, enabling macOS to run on non-Apple hardware is, as always, officially "frowned upon" by Apple. Getting the corporate entity of ASUS to assist with correcting any such "macOS-only" firmware error seems unlikely to happen, irrespective of any previous success on your part. Their first reply would be: "It's a macOS problem, not an ASUS firmware problem". Unless proven otherwise.
If you look at the ASUS motherboard packaging, it's described as being "Windows compatible", not "macOS compatible".
That's the reality of the situation.
Therefore, documenting the same firmware problem when running a Windows operating system seems like the most logical approach for you or other ASUS hardware owners.

Last edited:
Sorry: I don't personally own any ASUS hardware.
In case you're forgetting, enabling macOS to run on non-Apple hardware is, as always, officially "frowned upon" by Apple. Getting the corporate entity of ASUS to assist with correcting any such "macOS-only" firmware error seems unlikely to happen, irrespective of any previous success on your part. If you look at the ASUS motherboard packaging, it's described as being "Windows compatible", not "macOS compatible".
That's the reality of the situation.
Therefore, documenting the same firmware problem when running a Windows operating system seems like the most logical approach for you or other ASUS hardware owners.

Sorry, but in my personal opinion, your entire discussion is neither helpful nor constructive. I also do not own a Deluxe II, but I try to help people in their issues. If you think that my approach is wrong, just do it your way. But do something and do not only question or argue against others activities and efforts. I anyway clearly provided examples, where ASUS provided constructive help in firmware related macOS issues. The current issues are macOS related only. The hardware perfectly works under Windows, as its firmware is also optimised for the latter. Thus, your respective recommendations are absolutely useless. Windows, e.g. also does not mind if the MSR register for kernel write is locked or unlocked. Also the TB part of actual ASUS BIOS firmware distributions is optimised for Windows. This however does not help us in solving macOS related issues.

I am out of this discussion,

KGP

Last edited:

wow, goods news that Blackmagic eGPU Pro use the Titan Ridge JHL 7540 same as x299 Deluxe II.

may be someday my TB3 can have hotplug fucntion?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm stuck in panic report screen.
I tried to check my bios setting and EFI folder it's not work and i can't disable Above 4G Decoding because it not bootup for me.

My rig:
-CPU: Intel i9-9820x
-Mainboard: Asus prime x299 deluxe ii

can you check my EFI folder for me?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.6 MB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back