Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
All is well guys. Thanks KGP for your help.

I finally get the Hi Sierra re-installed. Turn out I just have to add Lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext

The missing link was Lilu and I have no idea why. LOL!!

Just an update: BIOS ver. 1602 is not working for TUF1 board, loaded into the login screen but keyboard and mouse are dead, unplug and replug didn't help. I reverted to 1503 and everything works fine.

Currently the TRIM is not enabled and on-board audio not working. I have an external DAC so on-board audio is not an issue.

Once again I want to thank KGP for his hardwork and contribution. :thumbup::headbang::)

Do you have both LAN kexts in your EFI-Folder?
I have AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext and IntelMausiEthernet.kext in my EFI folder.

I guess I need to look for a review using a MacBook or Windows with RTX to be sure.
You did try connecting USB-A to USB-B cable? Did you see the USB controls of the display move to the XHC of your PCH?

Good news. Strange that it required an update. Also strange that Dual Link SST can't work with the DisplayPort setting set to DP 1.4. I guess it might make sense - if the OS and the graphics card see a DP1.4 port or two DP 1.4 ports, then they might try to send a single DP1.4 signal for 5K2K, but Alpine Ridge can't send that. We need a DPCD dumper to know what the OS is seeing - couldn't Alpine Ridge be smart enough to say that only DP 1.2 is supported? Maybe not. One idea for a DPCD dumper is to add patches to WhateverGreen.kext for the DPCD reading code to keep track of results in the IORegistry.

So with the Alpine Ridge
solution for 5K2060Hz, you should see 700+MHz pixel clock, and disconnecting either of the DisplayPort cables from the Vega will interrupt the display.

Totally weird behaviour of the LG 5K2K with the GC-Alpine Ridge.

Windows 10:

a.) 5120x2160 @60Hz via DP1.4 port of the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 with LG 5K2K DisplayPort setting DP1.4

b.) 5120x2160 @60Hz with Moshi USB-C to DP1.4 connected to one of the TB3 ports of the GC-Alpine Ridge and LG 5K2K DisplayPort setting DP1.2 (DP1.4 does not work at all)

In AMD Crimson I see:

Code:
Resolution: 5120x2160

Horiz. front porch: 25

Vert. front porch: 48

horiz. timing sync width: 97

vert. timing sync width: 9

pixel clock: 730,730

frequency: 60,003 Hz

c.) 5120x2160 @60Hz with direct TB connection of the LG 5K2K via one of the TB3 ports of the GC-Alpine Ridge and LG 5K2K DisplayPort setting DP1.2 (DP1.4 does not work at all)

In AMD Crimson I see:

Code:
Resolution: 2560x2160

Horiz. front porch: 8

Vert. front porch: 1

horiz. timing sync width: 32

vert. timing sync width: 8

pixel clock: 353,130

frequency: 59,6616 Hz

macOS 10.14.2:

a.) 5120x2160 @60Hz via DP1.4 port of the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 with LG 5K2K DisplayPort setting DP1.4

b.) 3840x2160 @60Hz with Moshi USB-C to DP1.4 connected to one of the TB3 ports of the GC-Alpine Ridge and LG 5K2K DisplayPort setting DP1.2 (DP1.4 does not work at all). Works only while the LG 38UC99 is also connected via HDMI!

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 08.49.45.png

Impossible to drive the LG 5K2K @ 2560x2160 and 60Hz resolution. Also any other 30Hz or 60Hz resolutions won't work.

c.) No image still with direct TB connection of the LG 5K2K via one of the TB3 ports of the GC-Alpine Ridge. Neither LG 5K2K DisplayPort setting DP1.2 nor DP1.4 work.

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.17.04.png

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.16.22.png

Within the direct TB3 connection of the LG 5K2K with one of the TB3 ports of the GC-Alpine Ridge, the LG 5K2K again is erroneously implemented twice by macOS.

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.41.26.png

If you use a truncated 15-port XHC USB kext and you do not need a USB port limit patch, which is macOS specific, you can use the same EFI-Folder, always supposed that it implements the latest EFI-Folder and Clover distributions.
thank you very much. Do I need to make any changes to the bootloader (copying anything across from one efi to the other or so) to have both disks showing up at boot?

thank you very much. Do I need to make any changes to the bootloader (copying anything across from one efi to the other or so) to have both disks showing up at boot?

Obviously you should have the same EFI-Folder in the EFI-partition of each system disk.

Hello
X550-T2.png
I'm trying to create an SSDT for the dual 10G ethernet port of the X299 SAGE 10G
What is difficult for me is that the 2 ports have the same (exact?) APCI path !!
Any ideas ? (Ioreg attached )
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• SAGE 10G.ioreg
    4 MB · Views: 80
MASTER OF 44 PCI LANES

Folks, this is as beautiful as it might get. ... ever soon ...

PCI 1 AMD VEGA 16x LANES
PCI 2 ASUS C100C 10G/bit NIC 4x LANES
PCI 3 3x4 PCI LANES for M2. NVME 12x LANES (4x available ...) ... (16x in max out, 1 slot to go, sooo cool!)
PCI 4 NVIDIA 2080 TI 8x PCI LANES

As @kgp pointed out, the difference for the NVIDIA 2080 TI working 8x PCI LANES is neglectable - DOOM and StaxRip (under WIN) running at their best.

This is a tipping point, a peak of what is possible and what we have achieved as a team here (though I feel like flashing the Asus C100C is like an eater egg --> people at Apple ...)

If you ask me one thing about achievement this year ... 10.14. and this beautiful setup is it! And of course 5k2k!

Happy X-MAS ... while waiting for 30th of Movember (don't forget to donate ...)
Hey fly,

what about Windows and the Vega? Do you get into trouble with drivers etc. or did you disable the card in device manager? I have a spare Titan Xp lying around and thinking I might add it to the system

Hello
View attachment 370565
I'm trying to create an SSDT for the dual 10G ethernet port of the X299 SAGE 10G
What is difficult for me is that the 2 ports have the same (exact?) APCI path !!
Any ideas ? (Ioreg attached )
Thanks in advance

The ACPI path of the two devices is not exactly the same!

PC03.BR3D.D0A3@0 versus PC03.BR3D.D0A3@0,1!

After nulling the respective implemented devices one would implement new ETH0 and ETH1 devices as follows:

Code:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 1, "KGP", "X299ETH", 0x00001000)
{
    External (_SB_.PC03.BR3D, DeviceObj)    // (from opcode)
    External (_SB_.PC03.BR3D.D0A3, DeviceObj)    // (from opcode)
    External (_SB_.PC03.BR3D.PEGP, DeviceObj)    // (from opcode)
    External (DTGP, MethodObj)    // 5 Arguments (from opcode)

Scope (_SB.PC03.BR3D)
    {
        Scope (D0A3)
        {
            Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
        }

Scope (PEGP)
        {
            Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
        }

Device (ETH0)
        {
            Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
        }
        Device (ETH1)
        {
            Name (_ADR, One)  // _ADR: Address
        }
    }
}

If these are the 10 GB ports, one could also use XGBE and XGBF instead of ETH0 and ETH1, in concordance with the iMac Pro 10GB Aquantia NIC PCI nomenclature.

Good luck,

KGP

Last edited:
Hi there @4min Since my upcoming build shares almost identical components like the CPU, MB. Would you please share with me your EFI folder. Assuming you have a fully functional Hackintosh. Plus the only difference here is in the GPU, im using Asus Strix Vega 64

Hey fly,

what about Windows and the Vega? Do you get into trouble with drivers etc. or did you disable the card in device manager? I have a spare Titan Xp lying around and thinking I might add it to the system

I have no issues with the Vega in Windows. However, sometimes I use the RTX for Gaming in Windows by simply swopping out DP 1.4 cables. Even at PCI lane 8x speed it is significant faster in e.g. Doom at 5k ... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back