Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a particularly rare situation trying to achieve Hotplug functionality with my Alpine Ridge.

My system is identical to KGP:
X299 Deluxe
i9 7980XE
Alpine Ridge REV 2.0
Bios (latest 1503) with same configuration as your post.
Hotplug and Alpine perfectly working in Windows 10.

Test1. THB-C Disconected. Boot with thunderbolt device already connected
Its properly recognised and working
Only "Thunderbolt 3 controller" entry appears in "System Configuration/PCI" along with another entry with the TH device (no USB-C entry)
No hotplug

Test2. THB-C Connected. Boot with thunderbolt device already connected
Its properly recognised and working
Both "Thunderbolt 3 controller" and "USB3.1 Controller" shows up in "System Configuration/PCI"
No hotplug

Test3. RARE. THB-C Connected. Boot without any device connected to the thunderbolt and/or USB 3.1
No hotplug (if you connect something it doesn't shows up)
Both "Thunderbolt 3 controller" and "USB3.1 Controller" shows up in "System Configuration/PCI" (Condition 1 of your post)
Everything looks fine in the IOREG (Condition 2 fulfilled too).

So Im the limbo with Conditions 1 and 2 accomplished but no hotplug.

Anyone was like this?

Thunderbolt devices used for the test:
AJA IO 4K (SDI Video capture device)
Lexar CFAST 2.0 thunderbolt reader

My ultimate goal its to get the Codex Thunderbolt Reader to work(Reader of cards for Arri Alexa SXT and LF digital cinematography camera). I want to help and assist anyone interested in Pro Video devices (readers, Raids, Capture Video through thunderbolt, ...)

Mil gracias compañeros!

Attachments

• kodrum_config.plist
    23.4 KB · Views: 149
  • kodrum_ioreg.png
    kodrum_ioreg.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 87
  • kodrum_pcidevices.png
    kodrum_pcidevices.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 90
  • kodrum_NHR18C’s iMac Pro.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Yep this took me the longest time to figure out when I first started with my sage :lol:

@cloudconnected666 I attached my SSDTs since it should be the same. Didn't include the ones for Thunderbolt or GPU/add-in cards
In the meantime in implemented all of these (except NVMe ones). Looking at your files, seems like I actually did everything right. :)

Do you by any chance have SSDT for GPU on X299 SAGE 10G? Just so I can try to figure out this PLX-chip thing and pci-bridge. To be honest, I don't get it looking at these examples :/

Also, I will try few things with onboard X550-AT2 tomorrow. But reading all related threads from start to finish now doesn't seem to help. There are many people with the same problem out there, but no concrete solutions... SmallTree drivers sometimes loads before FakePCIID... It is related to cache.

In the meantime in implemented all of these (except NVMe ones). Looking at your files, seems like I actually did everything right. :)

Do you by any chance have SSDT for GPU on X299 SAGE 10G? Just so I can try to figure out this PLX-chip thing and pci-bridge. To be honest, I don't get it looking at these examples :/

Also, I will try few things with onboard X550-AT2 tomorrow. But reading all related threads from start to finish now doesn't seem to help. There are many people with the same problem out there, but no concrete solutions... SmallTree drivers sometimes loads before FakePCIID... It is related to cache.

Yep the NVME one is ANS I believe. you should be able to just drop all these in your EFI folder. My SSDT is a little different since I run a vega but what kgp just quoted should get it working for nvidia. Check if this works for your card in slot 1 (PC02-BR2A-GFX1). I'm trying to remember based when I had an nvidia. I didn't do GFX0 since I'm not sure what's left when you null SL01

And about 10G I had the driver drop out again after a shut down. Luckily the network preferences are saved so I don't loose iMessage/Facetime/etc as long as I reinstall it. Otherwise I would have to sign out of iCloud and everything. Not sure if I should just stick with my original sage and get a compatible 10g card.

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-Nvidia.aml
    650 bytes · Views: 77
Well mainly I would be interested in the ACPI tables, in particular in the TB.dsl and TB.aml..

https://bitbucket.org/blackosx/darwindumper

Can you manage?

Here you go.

Very disappointed with this MBP at the moment, can't get the intel GPU running in Windows, it's deactivated by default and if I use some EFI hack to make it active, then the AMD doesn't work (nor the intel)
And no SSD drivers available on Windows, so it can only running macOS properly really.

Attachments

• DarwinDumper_3.0.4_13.10_21.58.06_MacBookPro15,1_Apple_X64_High Sierra_17G2307_jyavenard.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 59
  • jyambp.ioreg
    9 MB · Views: 83
According to the needs related with my new 4k monitor :

I made more testing and performed to adapt PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable for my Vega 56 so for the moment my settings are :

Core
P6 : 1568 MHz/1150mV
P7 : 1660 MHz/1150mV,

Memory:
P3 : 800
P4 : 900

Temp target: 70
Temp Max: 80

Idle fan: 1540
Min fan : 600
Target fan : 4900
Max fan : 4900
Sensitivity : 6800

Power % : +/- 50

I adapted PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable on SSDT-X299-VEGA and also added PhmSoftPowerPlayTable to info.plist in the
AMD10000Controller.kext :

Code:
                <key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>
                <data>
                pwIIAQBcAO8GAAAOLAAAGwBIAAAAgKkDAPBJAgAyAAgA
                AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIBXABAAjcClACPAbQAHgF6AIwA
                rQEAAAAAYwIAAJAAmQJeATQBiAFoNgIAcQICAgAAAAAA
                AAgAAAAAAAAABQAHAAMABQAAAAAAAAABCCADhAO2A+gD
                GgRMBH4EfgQBAeIEAQGEAwAGYOoAAABAGQEAAdxKAQAC
                AHcBAAOQkQEABWywAQAHAQjQTAEAAACAAAAAAAAAHIMB
                AAEAAAAAAAAAAIi8AQACAAAAAAAAAAC07wEAAwAAAAAA
                AAAA8BcCAAQAAAAAAAAAAMg/AgAFAAAAAAEAAACAZAIA
                BgAAAAABAAAAcIgCAAcAAAAAAQAAAAAEYOoAAABAGQEA
                ANxKAQAAkF8BAAAACChuAAAALMkAAAH4CwEAAoA4AQAD
                kF8BAAT0kQEABdCwAQAGwNQBAAcACGw5AAAAJF4AAAH8
                hQAAAqy8AAADNNAAAARobgEABQiXAQAG7KMBAAcAAWg8
                AQAAAQQ8QQAAAAAAUMMAAAAAAIA4AQABAACQXwEAAgAA
                AQgAmIUAAEC1AABg6gAAUMMAAAGAuwAAYOoAAJQLAQBQ
                wwAAAnj/AABAGQEAtCcBAFDDAAADtCcBANxKAQDcSgEA
                UMMAAASAOAEAkF8BANxKAQBQwwAABdxKAQAAdwEAkF8B
                AFDDAAAGAHcBAAB3AQCQXwEAUMMAAAcAdwEAkJEBAAB3
                AQBQwwAAARgAAAAAAAAAC9waDgYkE0sACgBUA5ABkAGQ
                AZABkAGQAZABAAAAAAACBjEHpQClAKUALAEAAFkAaQBK
                AEoAXwBzAHMAZABAAJCSl2CWAJBVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
                AAAAAAACAtQwAAACEGDqAAACEA==
                </data>

The result is for current usage :

Code:
laurents-imac-pro-1:~ perrault$ ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'
"Fan Speed(%)"=31
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=1535
"Temperature(C)"=26

I will test tomorrow video playing and encoding with those settings.

Last edited:
can't get the intel GPU running in Windows, it's deactivated by default and if I use some EFI hack to make it active, then the AMD doesn't work (nor the intel)

Are you talking about Boot Camp?
A Haswell Z87 box had a similar problem, where the Intel GPU would cease functioning (in Windows) if a discrete video card was present. However, a more recent Intel GPU driver was released and solved the problem, allowing the Intel GPU to function even though another GPU was present.
Intel HD Graphics_25.20.100.6323 WHQL
https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...&view=topic&catid=17&id=78&Itemid=858&lang=en

Came across this interesting build.
Just decided to share here.
Mcity

X299 Hardware issue - please help

I am back into my old hardware issue, but this time I need to fix it: In the beginning I had serious issues getting more than roughly 800mb/s read/write speeds on the on-board m2 slots with my Samsung 960 Pro NVME. I fixed this problem by buying the Asus X16 Hyper PCIe card, in which I was able to run three NVME drives at full speed.

After adding the RTX 2080 Ti to my system, it seems I am running out of PCI lanes: Slot 3 of the Asus Hyper X16 card has stopped working, only slot 1 and 2 are continuing their services. After moving the NVME from slot 3 into the onboard NVME slot (does not matter which), I am back at degraded speeds of 800 mb/s.

Could somebody please confirm I have run out of PCI Lanes and I can only run NVMEs onboard at SATA speeds?

Current setup:
i9 7900X CPU
4x DRAM memory modules
Onboard SATA 1-4 switched on, 5-9 switched off
Wireless controller switched off
Only LAN 1 switched on, LAN 2 switched off
Bluetooth controller switched on
AMD Frontier Edition in PCIX16_1
PCIX1_1 empty
Nvidia 2080 in PCIX16_2
PCIX16_3 empty
PCIX1_2 empty
Asus Hyper X16 in PCIX16_4

The following has been tested and was not successful:
- Switching off XMP and manually setting the DRAM timings
- Fast Boot disabled
- Speed test under Windows and OSX resemble same results, so it is not OS related
- thermal throttling can be excluded as a reason, because I have installed an extra icy-box heat sink on the NVME

Attachments:
Blackmagic Speed test
ChrystalMark Speed Test, details:
- left: Samsung NVME 960 Pro on Hyper X16 card
- right: Samsung 970 Evo in upper-right NVME slot, on-board
- bottom: ChrystalMark Disk Info for the drive in question: You can see it is running PCIe 3.0 4x (wtf??)

Can anybody solve this puzzle and tell me why I am getting such slow speeds? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 79
X299 Hardware issue - please help

I am back into my old hardware issue, but this time I need to fix it: In the beginning I had serious issues getting more than roughly 800mb/s read/write speeds on the on-board m2 slots with my Samsung 960 Pro NVME. I fixed this problem by buying the Asus X16 Hyper PCIe card, in which I was able to run three NVME drives at full speed.

After adding the RTX 2080 Ti to my system, it seems I am running out of PCI lanes: Slot 3 of the Asus Hyper X16 card has stopped working, only slot 1 and 2 are continuing their services. After moving the NVME from slot 3 into the onboard NVME slot (does not matter which), I am back at degraded speeds of 800 mb/s.

Could somebody please confirm I have run out of PCI Lanes and I can only run NVMEs onboard at SATA speeds?

Current setup:
i9 7900X CPU
4x DRAM memory modules
Onboard SATA 1-4 switched on, 5-9 switched off
Wireless controller switched off
Only LAN 1 switched on, LAN 2 switched off
Bluetooth controller switched on
AMD Frontier Edition in PCIX16_1
PCIX1_1 empty
Nvidia 2080 in PCIX16_2
PCIX16_3 empty
PCIX1_2 empty
Asus Hyper X16 in PCIX16_4

The following has been tested and was not successful:
- Switching off XMP and manually setting the DRAM timings
- Fast Boot disabled
- Speed test under Windows and OSX resemble same results, so it is not OS related
- thermal throttling can be excluded as a reason, because I have installed an extra icy-box heat sink on the NVME

Attachments:
Blackmagic Speed test
ChrystalMark Speed Test, details:
- left: Samsung NVME 960 Pro on Hyper X16 card
- right: Samsung 970 Evo in upper-right NVME slot, on-board
- bottom: ChrystalMark Disk Info for the drive in question: You can see it is running PCIe 3.0 4x (wtf??)

Can anybody solve this puzzle and tell me why I am getting such slow speeds? Thanks for your help!

I guess it is so evident that it is not even worth to ask anybody..

16 (Vega) + 16 (Nvidia) + 12 (3x NVme in Asus Hyper X16) = 44 PCIe Lanes

With LAN, Bluetooth etc., you immediately supersede the 44 PCIe lane limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back