Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
the 5K2K is now available on Amazon France for 1815€ ouch

Well here in Germany one would currently get it on Amazon MarketPlace for 1450€. But MarketPlace means, no full Amazon service and warranty. I had a chat with Amazon Germany yesterday, and they think that they would be able to directly offer the 5K2K here in Germany on Amazon within the next two weeks.

However, I was brainstorming your recent valuable statements and I am left with some big doubt if I really should go for the actual LG 5K2K at the moment.

Fact is, that there is not yet any 5K2K display on the market that features Titan Ridge technology.

The advantage of the LG 34WK95-U is that at least it features 5K2K and it also supports DP1.4. Important in my case, as I do have to connect both my X299 (TB3) and X99 (DP1.4) rigs to a single monitor. The big disadvantage is that it does not feature Titan Ridge technology. Thus it neither will be 100% compatible with the GC-Titan Ridge Add-In PCIe adapter nor support TB or TB 5K2K daisy chain. Nothing I would risk 1500€ for.

The only Titan Ridge Display on the market, seems to be the Lenovo ThinkVision P32u-10. But else it is just a simple 4K monitor with DP1.2 support. In my opinion, a simple waste of Titan Ridge technology.

I am unable to find any information on the upcoming Titan Ridge models of ASUS and Samsung presented at several events. But from the linked movie both do not seem to feature 5K2K either and there is no information on the DP ports implemented.

Thus probably it would be worth staying with my LG 38UC99-W for a couple of months more?

Last edited:
Changing from a 7980xe to a 7900x only requires to modify the provided TSCAdjustReset.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kext/Others ; right click on the file and select show content, then modify the Info.plist with the value 19 (10x2-1), it's all on the first page below the "C.) Important General Note/Advice and Error Prevention"
7.) d)

As for your slowness, I would blame your 980Ti ; if you want speed and video and 3d design on macOS, the 980Ti isn't the best choice due to the low quality of the nvidia drivers.
AMD is today the only GPU Apple supports natively

Thanks for the info.. I could not get the TSCAdjustReset.kext build at "C.) Important General Note/Advice and Error Prevention" to work. I ended up searching for a pre existing TSCAdjustReset.kext for a similar build. It works great! Now my question is what am i missing out on if i did not configure the TSCAdjustReset.kext myself.

Also there is no audio... any thoughts?

Thanks for the info.. I could not get the TSCAdjustReset.kext build at "C.) Important General Note/Advice and Error Prevention" to work. I ended up searching for a pre existing TSCAdjustReset.kext for a similar build. It works great! Now my question is what am i missing out on if i did not configure the TSCAdjustReset.kext myself.

Also there is no audio... any thoughts?

Without TSCAdjustReset.kext you would miss a booting system.. ;):lol:

Just implement AppleALC.kext approach as clearly outlined in the guide!

Ingredients:
AppleALC.kext v.1.3.2 in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
Lilu.kext v.1.2.7 in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
AudioID 7 injection in config.plist
SSDT-X299-HDEF.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
SSDT-DTPG.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

Good luck,

KGP

Last edited:
Well here in Germany one would currently get it on Amazon MarketPlace for 1450€. But MarketPlace means, no full Amazon service and warranty. I had a chat with Amazon Germany yesterday, and they think that they would be able to directly offer the 5K2K here in Germany on Amazon within the next two weeks.

However, I was brainstorming your recent valuable statements and I am left with some big doubt if I really should go for the actual LG 5K2K at the moment.

Fact is, that there is not yet any 5K2K display on the market that features Titan Ridge technology.

The advantage of the LG 34WK95-U is that at least it features 5K2K and it also supports DP1.4. Important in my case, as I do have to connect both my X299 (TB3) and X99 (DP1.4) rigs to a single monitor. The big disadvantage is that it does not feature Titan Ridge technology. Thus it neither will be 100% compatible with the GC-Titan Ridge Add-In PCIe adapter nor support TB or TB 5K2K daisy chain. Nothing I would risk 1500€ for.

The only Titan Ridge Display on the market, seems to be the Lenovo ThinkVision P32u-10. But else it is just a simple 4K monitor with DP1.2 support. In my opinion, a simple waste of Titan Ridge technology.

I am unable to find any information on the upcoming Titan Ridge models of ASUS and Samsung presented at several events. But from the linked movie both do not seem to feature 5K2K either and there is no information on the DP ports implemented.

Thus probably it would be worth staying with my LG 38UC99-W for a couple of months more?

Yes I understand the relation with the GC-Titan Ridge Add-In PCIe adapter.

But for me this Lenovo monitor or any 4K UHD may be quite good anyway :

If you simply refers to the display specifications it offers in 16/9 ratio 8 294 400 Pixels with 137 PPi and compared to 21/9 ratio yours LG 38UC99-W offers 6 144 000 pixels with 109 PPi ?!

Just a question of ratio or personal usage preference.

Last edited:
There are *today* no 5K screen supporting DP 1.4 over Thunderbolt.
That 34" LG screen mentions supporting a *DP* 1.4 input. It doesn't state what it takes when using over Thunderbolt. My guess would be dual SST 1.2, just like the ultrafine, as otherwise it would make this screen incompatible with any macs.

I’m not really talking about 5k monitors via TB3.

I couldn’t care less about them.

take your time ;).. Today I am off to bed anyway.. 11:30 pm here already in Berlin..
I know you're busy..Any chance you looked at these?

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    125.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Ellybz Ioreg.ioreg
    16.5 MB · Views: 77
Well as expected it didn't work, but atleast i know that the Titan Ridge works, just not with the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Reactions: kgp
I know you're busy..Any chance you looked at these?

But it seems that the IOREG.save is already obtained with a working SSDT-X299-Vega.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPU/patched/, isn't it?

Your RX580 has 5 ports?

Thus, what should I do exactly?

Yes I understand the relation with the GC-Titan Ridge Add-In PCIe adapter.

But for me this Lenovo monitor or any 4K UHD may be quite good anyway :

If you simply refers to the display specifications it offers in 16/9 ratio 8 294 400 Pixels with 137 PPi and compared to 21/9 ratio yours LG 38UC99-W offers 6 144 000 pixels with 109 PPi ?!

Just a question of ratio or personal usage preference.

Then buy and try and let is know if it works.. ;):headbang::lol:

I will rather wait for a Titan Ridge 5K2K UWHD display with an additional DP1.4 port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back